Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. I am new to the boards and the game as well and I am having a hell of a time trying to work out the kinks and actually make a decent game. Here are the problems I have encountered. I hope that they are trivial just because I am a newbie, if not then I have a serious problem on my hands.

1. Lighting. I tried putting two lantern wall mounts on the outside of the building and then put a yellow light source around both of them. It didn't work. I noticed that the lanterns could be either static or dynamic? Whats the difference when it comes to unmovable items? When I turn on Dynamic Shadows and Shader Effects, all I get is a dark level; no light whatsoever.

2. Two or more layer levels. I've tested this out and it's ugly. For example, I created a huge arena room. At the far end was a stairs leading up to the second level which had various rooms. I put colored carpet down in one of the rooms which changes the cieling of the arena in that certain part to the carpet texture, which as you can imagine is ugly as hell.

3. Flashing textures. For some inexplicable reason, well to me anyway, different textures throughout the level start flashing. Is this because I downloaded bad textures or is it the game engine itself?

4. Doors. Oh how I hate doors. It seems there are two types of doors: those that are entities and those that are segments. Could someone please explain the difference? Furthermore whenever I do use doors, and this applies to both types, all it seems to do is paste them onto the wall so all you get is a door that opens up to a wall. When I delete the wall the door is not big enough to cover one whole section and so you have cracks on both sides allowing you to see into the next room. Ugly.

5. Building a game. Everytime I have done this I get a DB13 or somesuch error. Does this affect the game at all? Another time I experienced a huge problem. When the final game was completed and ran I looked on in horror as all of my walls, stairs and whole slew of other stuff had disappeared and I was looking at floating platforms more or less. What happened there?

6. Connecting maps. I never noticed anything in the manual about connecting maps together. Maybe I'm just blind, but how do you do that?

7. Tutorials. Anyone know where I can find some good tutorials?

As a newbie I appreciate any and all help you can give me. And correct me if this is posted in the wrong section of this forum, I was a little unsure as to where it belonged. Thanks guys. I look forward to getting to masterting this program and making some games.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 00:00
no comment.
well, maybe a couple comments....
first, think about them. second, search. and third, just mess around with it, check prefs and such.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 00:03
It sounds like you may have made some changes to the build/level/lighting/etc settings. The best advice I can give without trying to figure out what you did or didn't do, is to uninstall and reinstall the program. Then, without making any changes, build your level using the defaults. All (or most) things should work fine. Then you can make changes one at a time later to suit your needs.

This much I can tell you for sure:

1. Don't use shaders.
2. Leave a level space between ceiling and floors if you want them to have different textures.
3. The best tutorial you will find is the full manual in the TGC directory.
4. If by connecting maps you mean levels, then the use of a winzone will progress the game to the next level. Place your levels in the order you want in the build game dialog.
Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 00:12 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 01:34
This program takes alot of practice and more practice,Read your manual. Print it if you can it's easier to read. Check out tips and tricks. Enjoy!! Edit: sorry I forgot you Nickydude. Your tut is very cool indeed.

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 00:31
For tutorials and help, see my signature

FPSC Hint's and Tips Guide (pdf)
Best Regards,
Nickydude
Lambizkit
Years of Service