Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC Engine Upgrade

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 01:14 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 01:17
Okay, I already made one a while ago, but its long outdated (lacks Save and Load for one) and could be way better. Now, I can't start NOW, becuase the new source isn't avialable, but as soon as it is I'm going to.

There are three areas where I plan on adding major enhacements:

*Timing System (Enity Timers)
*Weapons System (Shotguns - pump and one-shell at a time reload, change rate of fire, ect)
*Frame Timing System (Will speed up the game to appear normal when framerate is low)

Now, There aren't any suggestions I can take for the last one, but I want ideas for the first two. I'll be releasing in stages so you guys won't have to wait as long, but again, I have to wait till the source comes out

= Options simply turned on or off with values of 1 or 0
= Options with specifications (ex: Rate of Fire)

Weapons System Ideas:
Shotgun Mode (One-Shell-At-A-Time Reload, Pump after Shoot)
No-Auto Reload (Does not reload automaticly when empty)
No-Full Reload (Prevents Reloading when Clip is Full)
Empty Clip Reload Only (Must require an empty clip to reload, like an M1 Garand)
Rate of Fire Mod (Changes how fast auto weapons fire)
[Flak]Use Decals instead of explosions
[Flak]Rubble (Amount of rubble peices/debris thrown out upon explosion, either rock or metal meshes with various textures depending on material of surface on which the explosion occurs)
[Flak]Rocket Trail (put in number for smoke decal just like a weapon and smoke will trail from rocket)

To explain the Rubble feature in a bit more detail, I'm hoping I'll be able to make little peices of debris using models already coming with FPSC (medal and rock) that are really small thrown into the air upon an explosion. Each would receive a diffrent texture depending on the type of material the explosion occurs on, EX: Wood would make stone peices covered in a wood texture fly out, stone would make stone peices covered in a stone texture fly out, metal would make metal peices fly out w/metal texture, ect.

Finally I have a really easy to do fix to make the scortch mark work with flak that will be in the first release.

So if there are any weapon enhacements you want (excluding duel weilding) or specific functions for timers, please tell me! I wouldn't mind hearing of any minor bugs to that I may be able to fix.

EDIT: To clear some things up, most of the weapon enhacements should work together, though the shotgun for example will automaticly enable 'No-Full Reload'

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 03:21 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 03:42
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 15:55
The flak mods are going to take alot of work, though the weapon mods shouldn't, as I already no how to do most of it from previous work.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 18:29
I'm glad someone is still keeping V1.xx going. I wish you the very best of luck.

FPSC Hint's and Tips Guide (pdf)
Best Regards,
Nickydude
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 02:32
Thanks Silent Thunder and Nickydude - seeing as your the only ones out of 150 something who reply. Though I understand - people are afraid of a second Riker 9

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 03:43
Quote: "people are afraid of a second Riker 9 "

yea, i was eagerly waiting, but it never came.......

I'm really interested in the reloading stuff and the debris from explosions.

sounds great!
can't wait for it.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Airslide, The things youve listed sound fantastic.

Here are some weapon ideas, since you asked...

1. Alternate animation options for when the weapon is empty.

-This would be incredibly nice for weapons that have their ammo visible from outside the weapon like crossbows, RPGs and Belt-fed MGs. It would also be very nice for automatic pistols where the slide locks back after the last shot. It would require being able to call seperate anims. for idle, move, reload, retrieve, putaway and possibly fire.

2. 2ndary Attack of some kind using an alternate set of gunspec "GUN Settings".

-An alternate attack with its own ammo pool would maybe be too complicated (see request #3) but even an infinate ammo alternate attack would be amazing. It could be very useful for adding a melee attack to a ranged weapon or an alternate strike for a dedicated melee weapon.

3. Weapon mode toggling.

-Toggle between weapon mode settings with their own animations, etc. Ex: rifle and launcher modes on an M203, semi-automatic and burst or full-auto on select fire weapons.

4. Ammo pool sharing.

-Ability for multiple weapons to use the same ammo pool.
Ex: A generic box of .45ACP ammo could be picked up that gives you 100 rounds that could be used to feed your 1911A1 pistol or Thompson SMG.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 05:28
Errant:

1 - I think the easiest way (depending on how the model is setup in DBP) would be to have a limb (group) in the model or prehaps a bone with a group assigned to it called 'Remove', and it would disappear when the weapon was empty, and re-appear when ammo was in the weapon.

2 - Its own ammo pool would actually be a bit easy (see my awnser to 4 for a more indepth explanation) probally. Secondary attack (using a second animation frame called 'SecShoot') wouldn't be too hard, unless we get into automatic weapons and such. It would be limited to single shot (at least the first version) with a few settings like whether or not to use ammo and the range and such.

3 - This is a bit more difficult, but it should be possible. It might take a little work to get an alternate fire itself (like a grenade or something rather than the default attack) but it would be easy to say this basicly (its a little diffrent but same Idea):

if amode=1 then play object gunobj,shootstart,shootend else play object gunobj,altshootstart,altshootend

4 - I'm hoping I can do it, but if I recal the ammo 'pool' is part of a specific weapon array, though I beleive it wouldn't take too much work to make seperate arrays for ammo, it would however require extra scripting commands (ex: addammo1=X) for the ammo pickups (so there isn't extra FPE commands that would probally involve alot more changes)

You've also sparked some other ideas like:

Burst Fire - Plays fire animation 3 times (no requirement for 3 shot animation, just single shot)

Give Weapon - Script command, put in name of weapon (from the guncore, ex: ww2\colt45) and gives the player that weapon.

Take Weapon - Script command, same as above except would remove weapon.

Take All Weapons - Strips player of weapons.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 06:50
Wait I'm confused. You said a second Riker 9? Did the first even ever come out? And if it did I would love a link.

I can't wait for this to come out Airslide
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 07:00
I know this is off topic.... But you would be my hero if you could enable the team play feature in a multiplayer game....

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 08:28
Give weapon and take weapon are great options to have!

Nice to see both of you doing what TGC is supposed to have done.

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 16:08
Quote: "Nice to see both of you doing what TGC is supposed to have done."

Both? Who?

Quote: "Wait I'm confused. You said a second Riker 9? Did the first even ever come out? And if it did I would love a link."

No, the first never came out, and many beleive it was never truly started (I haven't yet formed an opinion) and the point is it was a promise that wasn't forfilled. But I'm promising a lot less so it should come

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 19:04
Quote: "Both? Who?"

Airslide and Errant.

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
This is all Airslide, Filya.

I'm just soapboxing my personal wishlist
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 23:53
And hopefully all of it will come true

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 23:58
Quote: "1. Alternate animation options for when the weapon is empty."

This would be at or near the top of my wish list too.

Two other things I would like even if they aren't relevant to this thread:
smaller file sizes and some way to permanantly remove entities from the level library without having to worry about screwing up the level.

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Airslide send me an email, I've been tinkering with some GUN settings seeing if we can make a button that changes it from auto to single, burst vice versa, etc. And with Jon's m4 and m4 grenade we should probably have an easier way of switching to grenade by when you hit a key you load a secondary weapon.
( Possibly make 2 gunspec files per gun, one auto, one single, or grenade etc.)

I'm also trying to write a program with-in the program where you can configure a menu for your game, which would lead us to a "choosing" your level and setting controls etc.

I know it's kind of confusing how Lee has just one big source (over 20000 lines!!!!) but I think all this can be done and I'd love to help

Your signature was too large.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 02:06
Well, at the moment, we have to wait for the new source

Quote: "smaller file sizes and some way to permanantly remove entities from the level library without having to worry about screwing up the level."

Hmm....I can *try* to make the engine compress everything into a pak file (like Quake) the first time you run a finished game for compression....and as for the editor, sorry, they haven't released the source for that

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 04:03
maybe try to increase the maximun framerate?

build in some kind of "cheat code" system of people who love cheats...

make your game have some kind of splash screen

some kind of zone that lets you fly above the ground, for underwater and stuff

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 04:27
Quote: "
make your game have some kind of splash screen"

Just put in an image called 'splash.whatever' in your directory, like in the FPSC directory, and that will work.

The others sound possible - we'll see, weapons first

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 05:12 Edited at: 17th Nov 2006 05:18
Quote: "1 - I think the easiest way (depending on how the model is setup in DBP) would be to have a limb (group) in the model or prehaps a bone with a group assigned to it called 'Remove', and it would disappear when the weapon was empty, and re-appear when ammo was in the weapon."

It may be easier but I have a feeling that would look pretty bad in several cases. Part of the intention for an alternate animation set would be so that you could have different reload animations depending on if you were reloading from empty or doing a tactical reload. If that were the case, you could reward the player with a faster reload if they keep an eye on their ammo and reload before their gun runs dry. It would also allow for subtle details like wether or not there is a bullet shown in the magazine that is being removed from the gun.

The limb naming convention removal method did make me think of something neat though... Ammo belts: It would be pretty sweet if visible rounds in linked ammunition could be named so that you can see the belt get shorter as you deplete it. I haven't really thought about other complications involved with this though.

Here's another two ideas:

5. Self-refreshing ammunition.

-Ammo replentishes itself at a specified rate up to the maximum capacity. Could be used for infinite ammunition weapons where some sort of delay is desired (like battery powered things) or where the game designer wants to simulate the effects of fatigue (melee weapons) to keep the player from simply wading through enemies.

6. Control over how brass is generated.

-I don't know if this is possible but I'm throwing it out there anyways... It would be great if the trajectory angle and speed of the brass particles that are spawned could be controlled through gunspec.

---

A question about your planned flak modifications... Will you be able to seperate the concussion effect associated with flak? It would be exactly what would be needed for sniper rifles with bullet-drop or archery in addition to the bullet hole addition you mentioned. Conversely, it would be really neat to be able to associate the concussion effect with non-flak weapons for people who want to make telekenetic-style weapons.

Anyways, let me know if you could use a couple of test files for things once the source has been released. It would be easy for me to provide you with a pistol animated to include alternate "empty" states and an alternate melee attack.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 15:43
As for the belt thing - possible, It would have to search for something like : remove(1-5 or whatever) and use a simple math equation to remove 1, then 2, ect as it eats up ammo. Wouldn't be too hard I would think.

Self refreshing ammo - It wouldn't be hard for the clip to regenerate

Control oer brass - donno, that might be a bit harder, we'll see

Concussion effect? It doesn't seeem to have one much more than a big shaking, but if that's what you want...of course, it wouldn't be hard to do a DOD:S style one (Day of Defeat: Source)

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Arrrr Me Matey we must convince Lee if he wants to follow the code, he better release the v 1.04 code so our 's can be implemented! If walk the plank he must, for there's no parleigh in FPSC. Arrr!

Your signature was too large.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 02:19
Lee's not going to release the v1.04 at all. It wouldn't make sense if he did. He's releasing Release Candidates, not a Final Version. He can give V1.04 to you today and it may be redundant tomorrow. V1.04 still contains errors, who would want to have your engines changes if it's based upon a corrupt source?

Once the final version will be released, I'm pretty sure he'll release the source code.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 02:27
Of course, I certainly hope so. Plus, I know how to do things to update it to new sources easily...MUHAHAHAHA!

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 08:24
Ok gotcha airslide. This is gonna sweet. can't wait! and

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 19:25:59
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 19:25:59