Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / to buy or not to buy (FPSC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 20:41
Hi, I am new to FPSC and in fact to this gamming thing (I'm a VS .Net developer and others)

well anyways I was thinking in buying FPSC but looking at new version, would it be a wise idea to wait till x10 comes out, how much will x10 cost? if I were to buy version 1.04 how much will it be the upgrades? will current models such as dark matters and so on work in x10? will exe's built on x10 work on XP?

what would you do?, since I do want to change to vista and everything but I want to start building games now.

regards,

Fernando Baeza
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 21:15
It's a good question; I was wondering myself if existing FPSC users will get a decent discount on X10?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 21:55
Quote: "since I do want to change to vista and everything but I want to start building games now."

I think you answered your own question. As for cost, upgrades and particulars, we really don't know yet.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 22:15
Quote: "will exe's built on x10 work on XP? "

No it's obvious they will not. x10 uses DX10 for games and DX10 isn't for XP.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
MustangGT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 23:23
Hi thanks for all your answers!

and yeah some of my questions where indeed obvious but perhaps I wanted to convince myself on buying FPSC

but there are still a few pending questions such as prices on new license and upgrades. and type of files supported (are darkmatters and other models currently supported, going to work just like that in new version?)

regards
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 23:32 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 23:32
Mr. MustangGT,

What kind of a game do you want to make?

With FPSC you can make a game very fast and without much effort, but generally all games made with fpsc look and play alike ("cookie cutter" results). A great deal of work is required to make your game slightly more unique than the next and even then you will run into dead ends due to the limitations of the software.

FPSC is the best at dark, indoor games. If you want [large] environments with foliage and nice weather effects you will be very annoyed at the lack of outdoor support. Terrain doesn't work (collision problems), there are no weather effects, no global sun etc.

...and so forth... so what kind of a game do you want? answer that question and I'll be able to better advise you.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 23:54
I hate these threads.
Nothing personal,Mustang.
FPSC has a free 30 day demo so you can try it and see for yourself.
As has been stated above FPSC is better suited for indoor games although I have built some small outdoor levels.
You can make a game in minutes using FPSC or you can make a pretty good game with it if you take the time and effort.
The software does have its limitiations but there are ways to get around this and FPSC is committed to improving on FPSC as it is.
It is going to be a while before X10 is released.
There are other game engines on the market but most of those require coding and FPSC does not.
If you try the demo and you like it thn buy the game.
If you try it and don't like it don't buy the game.
Every game making engine has its limitations.
The bottom line is that the decision and the money you spend is yours.It is up to you.

MustangGT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 00:26
Hi Doughboy,

you're absolutely right in all your statements. but I see FPSC as my tutorial or introduction to real games. cause I get to see the whole process involved with not much hassle.

I didnĀ“t know some facts that you mention :S and it's good to know but I would hope they fix them in futures versions.

and to answer your question about what kind of games I'm in to. I can tell you that my goal is racing games (a game based on my car and a 1/4 mile race track) not that I want to build it with FPSC but you asked me. for this I'm thinking in gamestudio, you know better?
MustangGT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 00:37
not taken fredp, and I just want to clarify that I never complained about FPSC only asked about some real questions about x10 cause I'm really interested that's all sorry
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 00:41
I've just bought it, well the cheques on it's way as of today (16/11/06) - can't wait

FPSC Hint's and Tips Guide (pdf)
Best Regards,
Nickydude
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FPSC has a free 30 day demo so you can try it and see for yourself.
As has been stated above FPSC is better suited for indoor games although I have built some small outdoor levels.
"

Actually the trial for the nvidia compo lasts till march or april.

Your signature was too large.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 19:31:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 19:31:21