Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fog helps framerates?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 07:05
I just had this question since I remember reading it someplace that fog helps framerates since not everything far off needs to be rendered.

Is this true?
If it is, can someone tell me how do I increase fog? I mean, in my level, I just have 1 layer (yup, I know its a bad FPSC map, but I didnt have options), and I still can see one end of my map from another end.

So is there a way I can increase the fog? Are there options other than fog=1 to do that? Will changing the color of the fog help?

Please do let me know, since I am making this map for my contest this month. (and no, I cant afford to change my map now too late)

Thanks a lot,

-filya

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 23:13 Edited at: 18th Nov 2006 23:14
In most game engines setting the fog will help to raise the game speed indeed. But not with FPSC, it has no influence at all. FPSC still renders everything behind the the fog as well.

You cannot the control the distance and it doesn't clip anything from the viewers sight. Setting the color doesn't help either. It's a nice effect that will not help you to get a faster game, it may actually cuase a minor slowdown in the game.

I recall being the first to get the whole fog thingy working, here's the original post, http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=71197&b=23

So it's just a nic effect that you cannot control except for for the color.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 23:25
ha, ive been using this script in almost every level i make!

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 23:35
Cool I do hope TGC will add a setting which controls the fog distance and even add clipping (not rendering parts that are behind the fog) to it. It would be a great improvement of the game speed.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 01:38
ouch. This is bad news for me then

thanks for the replies all of you

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 04:06
Issues of Clipping and LOD or lack of them are the factors which currently reflect in the Serious Lagg Issue which inherently exists in the current FPSC engine source which the current Upgrades are being developed from.

In very large indoor levels of High complexity even with relative high numbers of characters activity in concentrated areas personally I have not found any problems with fps speeds at all using V1.04RC1. All speed issues are removed with max fps of 31 32 fps being returned constantly throughout all areas of levels even during player movement and where previously I had some significant drops offs in numerous specific areas.

In outdoor levels only I still have the Serious Lagg Issue in specific very limited spots as has always been the case. This is a separate issue from general overall fps gameplay speeds and is relative to the Culling and LOD or lack of as said used by FPSC.

The general gameplay speed issue which has been a major drawback affecting many aspects of gameplay at least for some it seems has been sorted. There are other numerous issues in V1.04RC1 that users are reporting that may need attention and those and other improvements perhaps are being moved forward by TGC. Overall for me it is a big improvement to the product overall from what it was some time back at V1 as the fps issue, the map object and script limits were show stoppers for me which kept FPSC effectively on my shelf. Now its back and my development can continue after many months on stop. It getting there as far as some of the major issues are concerned

The only other really serious issue I have is the Culling and LOD and resultant Serious Lagg Issue.

I would suggest that for the moment at least as it is a different ball game from most other issues in terms of the amount of work needed for a fix it may be something we may have to live with for the foreseeable future.

I see no option other than to live with it, build it out or find a workaround solution which is nigh on impossible but the options for users are limited. Its something that needs looking at by either TGC or users or it could kill many an opportunity to take adavantage of the other improvements being made and make some really good games with FPSC.

There are many improvements still that could be made but the Serious Lagg Issue really is a Serious Issue for the future of the Product in my humble opinion.

And its quite correct to say that applying fog on its own wont help at all.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 04:56
Thanks for that info Uman. Hope TGC work it out for future updates.

Thats just unfortunate for me right now , cause I am not getting any better with my framerates

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 11:42
I noticed yesterday that while in an indoor level the serious lag issue appears almost nonexistant in an outdoor level it still remains or is even worse.
While (as I have stated before) I haven't gotten to test it nearly as much as I would like the lastest update does seem to help with indoor level speed.
FPSC still seems to have the clipping and collisions problems.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 18:19
wooots!! thanks for this update Fred.
For the last straw, I was going to update to 1.04 from my current v1 to try and help my framerates!
lol...wouldn't have wanted worse framerates, would I?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 19:29:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 19:29:57