Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / interest and questions (docs, ai, physics)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi, i am looking for a real cool game library using with c#. ( i do have torque or lawmaker... but i want to code by myself - in c#)

this here looks quite interesting for me...

but i do have some questions.

-how are the docs - give me an example please?
-can you give me some examples of available methods or classes?
-is AI supported
-are physics supported?

can anybody post a little bit of c# code using this libs?
i want to see some examples before i buy it.

thanks a lot

greg

( i want to make a rts game... )
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 19:13 Edited at: 18th Nov 2006 21:52
Hello

DGDK.NET does come with a fully documented help system which describes the functions used throughout the toolkit. The DGDK.NET also comes with a few samples for both C# and Visual Basic.NET. Documentation is fully indexed and well organized, which contains tutorials for both VB.NET and C#. It also comes with a tutorial for using SharpDevelop RC2.

If you want a Flash video link, please look at http://www.apexnow.co.uk/tutorial1.swf which takes you through setting up a project using DGDK.NET (it's 11mb)

A C# application typically looks like this:

DarkGDK.NET does not yet support DarkAI although this may change in the near future. However, it does support the ODE Physics plugin which is available via the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Hope this clears up a few of your questions.

Paul.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 20:29
I disagree on the documentation part.

A few (not many) methods isnt documented. Example, what is the difference between the six different display mode commands? it took me some time to figure out that actually one of them makes the window go fullscreen. There is a method called Entry in the Input object. What does entry do and what is the string it returns?

And ALL the methods is listed in the documentation as taking Long parameters while some of them take int and others take uint.

It can be a bit of a hasle to setup the first time, but the tutorial in the help file tells you step by step how to do that. And after that you can just export the project as a Template and you wont have to do it again.

While most of everything else looks very nice.

Btw, that flash link didnt work for me Paul.

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 22:07
Ok, sorry about the tutorial link, I neglected to add the correct number to the filename, sorry about that. (see above).

As for the documentation, I do agree that this still needs revising a bit, but the few functions that are missing descriptions altogether are actually undocumented functions which are not even mentioned in the original DGDK help documentation. All the help files are generated from the original DGDK html files in order to maintain compatability with the latest version of DGDK (C++). Could you give me one of the functions that you said was using the LONG conversion problem please, I'll investigate this.

Paul.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 14:14
Well, its not a problem. But all functions using int and uint is listed as using long in the documentation. The only way to know the difference is to look at the variables name.

An example would be:
Sub BoxB(lLeft As Long, lTop As Long, lRight As Long, lBottom As Long, ul1 As Long, ul2 As Long, ul3 As Long, ul4 As Long)

The first four parameters is integer, while the last four are unsigned integer. They are all listed as long.

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
can you give me a list of methods which are available?

also i want to see a more complex example.. can you demonstrate how to "make" a tile map...

this would be very helpful...

i need to know more of the available features. otherwise i stay with XNA or truevision.

thanks for the information (hopefully)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:16:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:16:17