Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / As an aside to all the negetive posts about DGDK...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 14:01
How are peoples projects coming on using it?

I'd be interested to see what projects people are working on using both the c++ and .net versions of Dark Game SDK.

I've posted about mine earlier Here

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
lwatson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 17:01
As for my own albeit initial experiences, I have posted about them @ rmag.blogspot.com but they basically come down to

The documentation is poor.
The web presence was confusing at first (The SDK vs GDK thing)
The forums have been helpful.
The Product itself is fantastic and I am looking forward to using it in my endeavors.

All of the negative points above are largely mitigated by the fact that the price point is a good one and I believe will drive the products improvement at least in the documentation/examples available arena.

Lonnie Allen Watson
rmag.blogspot.com (blog)
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 19:26
Urm, this thread is supposed to be about projects you are working on with Dark Game Development kit not what you think is wrong with it. There seems to be too much concentration on the negative side of things here.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Hypno Screen
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I bought DGDK.Net to bring up my board game RPG rules to life but the problem is that I'm still not that good at 3D character modell creation. A friend used to team up with me but he disappeared from ICQ and I can't reach him. That's why I'm thinking about an 3D sidescroll shoot 'em up or a kind of dungeon RPG-shhoter like hexen which would use bitmaps to dispay the objects but also use bump mapping (I'm pretty good at texture art including bump/normal maps) and realtime shadowing...
I don't know yet...

http://www.bitshade.org
Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 09:51
I might consider the whole product line low quality for my main stream applications, but I do use them for prototyping, RAD, and down right algorithm cracking.

Currently, I'm using the c++ libs to mock up a 1942 style sci fi shooter I call Astro Alex:

http://www.jlbyrdtech.com/projects/astroalex
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 15:05
Quote: "I might consider the whole product line low quality"

Low quality? That's a bit harsh

Dark Inferno Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 00:09
I'm currently making a OOP wrapper then I'll make a editor for my game.
lwatson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 13:54
Well in the sprite of the threads purpose...

I am using the library in conjunction with a Visual Studio 2005 application that I envisioned as the next version of our existing Claims Explorer application I developed some years ago.

Claims Explorer displays Day level detail of a particular person Mental Health claims/authorization/eligibility/Clinical Notes/ other bits of HC related data all correlated with one another in time and allows all manner of drill down into the 'Nitty Gritty' of that information. Primarily used as a research tool by members of the Health Care community and those paying the bills. (State and County government agencies in public sector healthcare)

I am attempting to use the DBGDK libraries to take the visualization of pattern in all this data beyond the flat 2D visualizer I wrote so long ago.

To be able to expose things like…

Regular pattern of disparate occurrence between unassociated providers of service. (Not to force members to see a certain set of providers but to open dialog between providers of coordinated care, think the left hand talking to the right hand).
To be able to show severity of condition via say size of rendered iconic symbol rather than having to interact with the visual to glean more information.
To be able to add motion to the symbols to represent various additional aspects of a given service delivery like (Multiple services in a limited time frame usually a single day).

The possibilities are great. To that end I have crafted a number of helper class's then encapsulate and extend functionality contained within the library to support my own endeavors. I still say the documentation has been poor but overall I am getting there. I have the basic engine that will open op claims and gather a give member’s history. Rip through that history and add a number of shapes to the scene, arranging them across the scene as they occurred in time. If more than one thing happened on a given period then shape will be added slowly rotating in place. Meta data about the information that spawned that shape is added so as the user mouse’s over the shapes that metadata is passed back to the user via a tool tip window at the moment.

All of this is basically mimicking the existing 2D visualizers I wrote years ago bit adding motion. The aim was to get the existing functionality happening then to expand the scope and power of the visualization techniques leveraging the DBGDK library...

Lonnie Allen Watson
rmag.blogspot.com (blog)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:26:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:26:34