Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A lil Question for Lee B

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 12:38
Lee, I was really pleased to see the fog thread on this forum, thanks for asking our opinion before developing that feature. I know you are probably inundated with requests for stuff every day, and so I appologise for being another feature suggestor, but I kind of wanted to enquire if there is any possibility Empty's mod might be built into the next update. Even just the setentitytarget command, brought us SO close to allies, and if I'm honest, I'm totally stuck, as I want the new features of RC1.04 but, all my levels have characters that use the setentitytarget command.

Basically setentitytarget allowed so many more diverse funtions than just allies (have characters run to specific points on the map. Not using waypoints, and as they used the movetotarget command, they actually run.

I'm only asking as the updates so far have offered alot of new things, but there have been very few new scripting commands or conditions, which, although we can now savegame and increase speed, our FPIs are still quite limited.

Please take this into consideration.

Butters

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 16:19 Edited at: 24th Nov 2006 18:36
Butter fingers,

I doubt any one would not wish to see allies or more specifically group communications possibilities ( or your script command suggestion ) they can add so much to gameplay by comparison to whats currently possible.

Lee has made some tentative indications recently as to some future possibilities.

I am sure everyone will support the general thrust of the thread - me too.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 17:06
We'll take a look, where can we grab this mod?

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 17:14
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 17:22
Quote: "We'll take a look, where can we grab this mod?"

These newbies, don't even bother to use the search button

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "These newbies, don't even bother to use the search button"

lol, he's from TGC...

Project FPS - 71%
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 19:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TGC Commercial Director

Yeah, he's been here awhile Nickydude. LOL

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 20:21
I think he was making a joke guys.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 21:02
I think it would be great if Lee can get that command in, it would help my scripts alot too

Butters - it might be a bit off topic, but maybe not - did you make new marker objects for your new 'waypoint' things? I wanted to do something like that but upgraded to the new update before I could try.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 16:20
Yes, I was joking. Looking at his post you'd never guess who he was though would you

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 20:40
Butters, pssst...while you are at it, ask him about multiple timers as well

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 02:59 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 03:31
While we are on the topic of "I wish we had"...

I wish we had melee animations added to the standard character animations.
Talk about the new model packs... I'm so close to my melee quest I can taste it.
It would be nice if the melee weapons had a melee set of animations, like the grenades have their own.
Just a basic swing or two as to accommodate a sword or bat or golf club etc.
Like a swing to the head and a swing to the body.

Speaking of heads and bodies... head shot distinction would be nice too!
Then we could make real zombie epics where only the head shot kills because the head and body have separate damage values. (I really hope these things get included in the X10 version)

But, enough of wishes because my other hand is getting full now.
I guess I'll agree that having the movetotarget working would be nice.
It certainly would make the ally requests more feasible as the lack of it working was an obstacle for me.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 12:20
Can I confirm that the new FPI action you want is:

SETTARGETNAME=X sets an entity named X as the current target

I could not find 'setentitytarget' anywhere in the indicated thread!

I cannot implement empty's modifications into the latest version, it would simply take me too long, and I probably could not keep up with Empty, given my other duties

Could someone post an FPI script here, showing how the above action would be employed so I can test it quickly after adding this action. Thanks.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 12:51
Quote: "SETTARGETNAME=X sets an entity named X as the current target"

Yep, that's how it works in the mod.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 13:31
Lee. Ally script here

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 13:36
Quote: "Can I confirm that the new FPI action you want is:

SETTARGETNAME=X sets an entity named X as the current target

I could not find 'setentitytarget' anywhere in the indicated thread!

I cannot implement empty's modifications into the latest version, it would simply take me too long, and I probably could not keep up with Empty, given my other duties"

Hey man, thanks for actually looking at this thread - I'm touched!

I just wanted to confirm, are you saying you might be able to implement this command, but not the whole mod?

Filyas comment about individual entity timers is a good one too, but I felt this settargetname command is really useful, for more than just allies.

I'm really impressed with how much effort TGC are putting into FPSC at the moment, and was also kinda wondering if there's any agenda for increasing the number of commands and conditions in the FPI language. Your addition of keypressed= has already generated several key features from Objectives screens to Keypad doors. Dispite FPSC's undoubted need for engine improvements (FPS stability, save/load, flak bugs, etc), I think that expanding the FPI language allows so many more developments as it allows a greater breadth of creativity from the end user.

Thanks for your interest, please get back to me

Butters

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 03:05
As I understand, the SETTARGETNAME, which takes the name of an entity from the FPI script and assigns that entity as the target for the receiving entity who ran the script. I had not planned to add any more actions in this regard (at least not for V104). Am I missing vital actions required before I move away from this area for the moment?

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 03:47
V104 RC4 will have this action in, and managed to create a nice little level where a bulldozer would follow a toffee machine called FOOD, and would keep pushing it (carrot and donkey style). The script:

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee- Your awesome. Can't wait for the new build to come out, as this will open up a lot of scripting opportunities for us, first off, I see a potential for a vehicle script out of this.

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 04:08
Lee, that sounds cool
any other additions to movetotarget? I mean, any other way we could use the 'target' other than moving to it?

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 21:16:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 21:16:22