Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Winners of October's Level Design Competition...and their Levels.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 20:34 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 20:51
OK, it's finally time to show off what a bit of thinking outside the box can do for you. This was a tough theme this month, but many of the entrants pulled it off well. All contestants did a great job in their entries this month; they just keep getting better every contest.

Anyways; enough of my blabbering....on to the Winners!

The Winners:

- 1st Place: Luke314pi, with [b]Quest of Murgore (119 pts.)

- 2nd Place: Benjamin, with The Messenger (116 pts.)

- 3rd Place: Flashing Snail, with Big Bang (110 pts.)

The Runners-Up

- 4th Place: Avenging Eagle, with Agent 10 (97 pts.)

- 5th Place: Higgins, with The Mine (92 pts.)[/b]

- 6th Place: Silent Thunder, with Lab Strike (84 pts.)

- 7th Place: Filya, with Desert (81 pts.)

- 8th Place: Jenkins, with Reign of Maticus (78 pts.)

- 9th Place: NueB, with Puzzled (76 pts.)

Prizes

Remember; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Winners get the following automatically: TGC Model Pack 5, Ozark Games WWII Pack #1, and either Landscape Pack 1 or Mega Music Pack (by Benjamin)....additionally; you may pick one prize from the regular list, according to your ranking:

- Higgin's Horror/Fantasy Bundle Pack

- Luke's Horror Accessory Pack

- Silent Thunder's Mega Segment Pack (101 floors, and 58 walls)

- Airslide's Decal Maker V6

- BullShock's E.C.S. Pro

**To get Model Pack 5, you must get in contact with Jon Fletcher; who will in turn, get into contact with TGC.**

4th and 5th Place Finalists may pick either Landscape 1 or Mega Music Pack (by Benjamin).

Thanks again for all the participation, and a round of applause goes to the Judges.

See you next month.

-Keith

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 21:34
Congratulations everyone for a nice competition
Ben, you were soooo close to 1st!!! But Luke, hearty congrats!

Thanks for the results Keith! Now I can't wait to play the games myself

(And I better start saving money to buy some packs...no easy ones for me )

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 21:48
I already have Model Pack 5, so I talked to Jon Fletcher, and he is fine with letting me give my Model Pack 5 prize to the 4th place winner, Avenging Eagle, so congrats AE!

For my other prize I will choose Higgin's Horror/Fantasy Bundle Pack.

I am narrowing down the theme for next month's contest right now, and I will post it later today. Thanks again to the judges and prize donors!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:01 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 22:05
Well done to everyone. One day I might enter (chaa.. right.. and monkeys might fly outa my butt!)

The more I see what can be done, the more I want to do!

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:17 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 22:19
Congrats to everyone, it was very close this time. It's great to see so many people that have come up with something, inspite of the though theme, good job everyone!

Luke314pi, congrats to winning! The level looked good and some of the puzzle ideas were excellent, but the theme of your level made me 'sick', I'm not comfortable with stuff like that at all. I haven't played the game through all the way, so I didn't get the whole rpg/adventure part, I did see more of the puzzle side and those were excellent. I did get the feeling I played until I did get way to uncomfortable to play it anymore. Looked like you did a blend of last months theme and this months theme. Good luck with picking next months theme.

As a price I'm picking..... well, I'm a bit torn between BullShock's E.C.S. Pro and Airslide's Decal Maker V6, but I'm going with BullShock's E.C.S. Pro.

All the winners and 4th & 5th place, please do contact me with you're choice of price I've donated (MegaMusic or Landscape Pack 1) and I'll email you the details needed.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:38 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 22:46
Haza! I get one of the extra prizes right? if so, I would like Airslides decal maker 6, please.
congrats to all entered, i look foward to playing the levels.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:43
Thanks for your comments, Benjamin. I am confused as to what made you uncomfortable about my level. Many RPGs have the same dungeon / church / fall of mankind theme.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:46
@Benjamin A

Ive sent out the link to E.C.S. Pro

congrats to everyone else!

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:49 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 22:49
Every time I try to run Quest of Murgore (quest_of_murgore.exe) I get the following error:

I have over 100gb left on my drive so it can't be full.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:53
Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? I'm not sure what else would be causing that error...

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 22:55
Yes, all latest DirectX, graphic drivers. I'm guessing no one else has had this error? I'll download it again and see what happens...

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 23:20
These are the best entries that I have played.
You guys keep up the good work.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 23:24
It most have been the download, it now works a treat and I must agree with Fred, these are excellent.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 00:41
congrats to all of the winners!!

also, may i know in what category that i suffered so i know for next time?

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 01:16 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 02:29
Congratualions everyone!!! Especially Luke. I'm going to try out your level now.

Just curious, how many people were in this competition?

Can't wait to find out what the next months theme is.

[EDIT] So I tested out Ben's level and it was awesome (lags on my comp, cause my comp sucks) . Now I almost feel sorry for having to put the judges through my level. Of course though, I'm still very new to FPSC.

I love butter
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 01:54 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 01:54
Anyone who picks Decal Maker know this - it's going to be a little while, I'm still rewriting the new version, and school+the Nividia contest isn't exactly helping Though if one does choose it they'll get the so called 'Bundle' that will have Decal Maker and the FPSC Content Installer, they'll get both when they make final release (I'll also let them become a beta test for Decal Maker if the choose)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 01:58
I already sent you an e-mail about that, but i guess ben of luke can over ride me for it.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 02:48
I played the first 5 games :

1. Quest of Murgore : Luke, very very good game. To be honest, I couldn't have made my game better even if I had another month Very well designed and excellent custom stuff!

2. The messenger : Ben, now I know why you were sooo close to being first Really, if it were me, I wouldn't have been able to decide who was first, you or Luke. Nice game design! And I guess your custom stuff was your medieval pack.

3. Big Bang : Flashing Snail,I could not cross the level, so I can't say I have seen your whole game. But from what I saw, your game was more of a puzzle than a RPG. Nice effort though.

4. Agent 10 : AE, I did not play this level, since I had already played your 007. Like I had commented there, nice work on your level, but I wasn't really able to end the level.

5. The mine : higgins, your level was most fun to play Very good imagination there I liked playing it, and would rate it higher than your 5th rank.

Sorry, but atleast for now, I havent found time to play the rest, but I will for sure sometime.

Once again, congratulations to all the winners and all the participants as well!! I believe, completing a good playable level based on a theme given to you just a month in advance is itself an achievement!!

Best wishes,

filya

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 03:25
Thanks for all the comments guys!

The theme for the next contest will be Urban. It can take place in any timeframe in history, as long as it is in a city. You can have a shootout with mobsters in the roaring 20's or guard against the alien invasion of a future city - whatever you want!

The only other requirement is that your entry must have a story.

I am making the style mostly open, so hopefully we will get a lot of entries. Don't let the nvidia contest hold you back!

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 03:39 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 03:40
Hey, that is actually a pretty cool theme. I like it.

Now that I have played the other peoples levels, I know what the judges are looking for. I need to learn how to 3d model too. Especially since I have no city models.

Congrats Luke!!!

Was it just us 9 people that entered the competition?

I love butter
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 04:06
urban....hmmm....sounds good to me. Are there any restrictions on whether it has to be outside (like in the streets) or it could be inside.
I mean, someone can make a complete indoor level with just windows showing the city outside. That wouldn't count, would it?

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 04:21
As long as you are clearly in the city like you mentioned, I think that would be fine.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 08:30
Quote: "I already have Model Pack 5, so I talked to Jon Fletcher, and he is fine with letting me give my Model Pack 5 prize to the 4th place winner, Avenging Eagle, so congrats AE! "

I don't know what to say, Luke, thank you

I'll send an E-mail to Jon and Benjamin about my choses. Turns out, coming in forth isn't such a bad thing afterall...

Good Competition, this one, but the next one looks even better!

AE

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 13:53
Urban sounds good. I'll draw up the plans, and post them by December 1st. Due to the holiday season, and how good the levels turned out this month when given more time); how would everyone feel about letting it run until the 22nd of January?

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 14:14 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 14:19
Theme sounds great!

Quote: "Due to the holiday season, and how good the levels turned out this month when given more time); how would everyone feel about letting it run until the 22nd of January?"

And how about the TGC/nVidia competition deadline? That's only a few days earlier. I'm not sure if anyone is going to enter it, but perhaps it's better to skip a month?

By the way.... do we need to get in contact with you about our WW2 pack prize?

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 14:18
Iam entering the Nvidia contest.

Plus, I never finished the fantasy pack, so I only have the horror pack to give away.

Luke, email me about it atomic_killer_rooster@hotmail.com.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 15:31
All 3 winners need to contact Just One Old Man about the OG WWII Pack. Tell him which version you want (FPSC or Torque), and give him a valid e-mail address in which to recieve it (he will send you the actual pack, most likely, and not a link).

You must use the Ozark Games PM system in order to contact the Old Man, in order to verify your identity.

I'm not sure what you mean about skipping a month, Ben?

-Keith

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:04
Keith, I think the deadline is just fine. I will enter that competition. Although I didn't do that good with my last level I feel I know what you guys are looking for now. So yeah, the deadline is fine to me. Can you tell me if it was just us 9?

I love butter
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:05
I mean not having one this coming month, but starting again in Januari after the TGC/nVidia competition deadline.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:10 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 16:12
You do make a good point Ben. But you can't just skip a month, I mean come on. I'm excited about doing this urban theme and can't wait. I can guarantee people will still do it this month

I love butter
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:15
I think the 22nd of January would be fine. I think the date could get pushed back even more because of the nvidia contest.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:17
I agree Luke. Could YOU tell me if it was just us 9? I've asked like 10 tens, noone will answer. P.S. I like the urban theme.

I love butter
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:25
I don't see what difference it makes but it was just nine of you.
And Keith always makes all of the entries available for play.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:33
Well, yes...it was just 9; that's why I listed 9.

Actually, I'm thinking maybe pushing it right to the end of January might be the way to go. Then take the first 2 weeks in February to judge, get the results, and dish out the prizes. We could then start again in the middle of February.

I made the longer deadline this time both because of the difficult theme, and because I wanted to see if the levels quality increased as well. I think they did. I think running the contest for 2 months from now on is the way to go. What do you guys think?

I'd like to see more people with packs and programs offer them up as prizes as well (such as Signs and MagicFPS). It would be nice if TGC could get involved with this competition as well, as it is ongoing, and helps promote their product.

Additionally, I'd appreciate it if more people wanted to become involved in judging this competition. Obviously those who enter negate their option to do so. Which reminds me: if Luke wishes to, he has a spot on the judging panel as winner...unless he wishes to compete in the next competition.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 16:44
I agree that giving those that enter the contest two months to finish their entries would be good.
The levels are getting better and the better they get the higher the yardstick is going to be raised as far as what is good and what is uber.
I would also like to see some of the levels that were entered in last month's competition become complete games.
Since OG is hosting the levels at this point it would be great to see the complete games wind up there too.
Maybe have some kind of server so you could pick a game or entry and play it online without having to download it...
It might make it easier on the judges,too...
An alternative could be an app you could download and when you got onto OG you could fire up the app and it would show you all of the levels and games available for download and one click and you're downloading it...it could give you one stop downloading if every downloadable file from OG was on the list.
Maybe a Steam-type server.
And,as time goes on,there will be more purchasable content at OG.
Having a store button on the app wouldn't hurt either.
Of course these are just some ideas...I wouldn't want to see the Old Man get bored.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 17:01
Those are some really good ideas, Fred. I think OG could make a really nice menu with information about each game.

As for the deadlines, I think the end of January is better than the 22nd. I think people will need that extra week. I also agree that every 2 months is better. I think it will encourage more entries and better entries.

Keith, I think I will be a judge next time. It sounds like fun.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 17:11
Great News Luke. I plan on making a better Judge criteria sheet (easier layout); keeping the current point system, with a few tweaks. I'm looking to standardize this more, since it doesn't appear that this competition is going away.

@Fred....have you been listening in on The Old Man, Roasted Snow and I?......

-Keith

Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 18:35
Okay you guys, I've been trying to make a specific, categorized download section at OG for the last 10 months, and now it's a good idea?

Fred, it's actually not possible yet to set the games up so they can be played online. There are a couple of applications out there that say they can do it, but they still download everything from the server.

That being said, we are ending up with nothing but links all over the place right now. Pretty chaotic. It would be great to get everything set up better, which is why I set up the original download section at OG (that we don't use right now). I would actually like to move everything hanging out there right now to a real download section, that way download stats could be tracked and it would make it a lot easier for everyone coming to OG to find what they're looking for.

If the rest of the world is ready for it now, I'll get back to work on it...

/JOOM

JOOM - Always outnumbered, never outgunned!
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 18:36
2 months?? thats a looong time for just 1 level!
I know, this coming from a person who couldn't complete his level design sounds funny, but really. The RPG theme has a lot of new things to do, so it took time.

In case people are worried about this deadline clashing with the Nvidia one, we could set the deadline for this as Jan first week or something. That way we can have 5 weeks for this level, and spare more than a week to tie up loose ends on the Nvidia level.

Ofcourse, the end decision is upto you.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 00:22
Quote: "I don't see what difference it makes but it was just nine of you"

It doesn't make a difference. I just expected a lot more people to enter.

2 months does seem a long time for one level. I think I agree with you filya.

Actually to be honest, I don't really care when the deadline is.

I love butter
Mmm Tacos
Years of Service
User Offline
Luke Amazing level one of the best ive ever seen GJ.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 16:20
I finally had a chance to play Luke's level (after updating my Direct X to 9.c). That was a very well put together level, it even has a nice pause menu. I can see why it took first place. I also played Ben's level, which was also very nice; although I can't walk out the final door for some reason (I thought I did everything, and I've got the potion).

I see Luke took a play out of my book with the pillar jumps; I think the reason I made it throught the lava both ways, was due to spending many hours jumping through my own pillar levels.

Great work all around though.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 18:47
Quote: "I also played Ben's level, which was also very nice; although I can't walk out the final door for some reason (I thought I did everything, and I've got the potion)."

Did you place it on the table behind the knight? If yes, at times it slides of the table, so you have to make sure it's really on the table. You more or less throw it to the back of the table, works well.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 19:39 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 19:42
It probably helps if I follow the directions, huh? Good thing you've got a save feature in yours; I was on my last man. Those buggers kept getting me from behind; by the end of the level I was walking into rooms backwards.

-Keith

Edit: It looks like I'll have to do it all over again, as the saved game doesn't stay once I close out the program.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 19:45
Quote: "It probably helps if I follow the directions, huh?"

Especially in a RPG/Adventure game

Quote: "I was on my last man. Those buggers kept getting me from behind; by the end of the level I was walking into rooms backwards."

Seems like my AI works pretty good then With the level I'm working on now, for the TGC/nVidia competition, I'm testing out Airslide's AI and that one is far better then mine, so combining the 2 in one game should give you a pretty decent AI to fight.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 20:16
The first time I died; I ran back up the stairs, came around the corner and the guy who just "put me to sleep" had his back to me...I took my time getting a good aim on that one.

One other thing I noticed, was when coming down the staircase fast, I'd sometimes take damage (like normal), but I'd hear him yawn instead. I just thought it was funny at the time (might have been because it was almost 1AM though).

I've been able to play all of the levels (that I've downloaded so far) since I upgraded my Direct X; I can see a lot of work has gone into them. Just like to say great work again everyone.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 21:20 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 21:21
OK; now we've got to sum up anything left to say (as far as input) about the December/January competition. As it stands there are 2 judges: Fred and Luke. I think the Comp. will run the full course of December and January, with the last day to enter on Feb. 1st. The theme is Urban, and I will create all the specifics. The new change to the point system will include more points possible for following the theme.

The judge sheet will be revised a bit (easier to follow), and will be given to each judge well in advance of any entries coming in.

The prize list will remain open throughout the competition, donations are encouraged. Anyone new to the competition should play a few of the recent levels...the bar HAS been raised.

I am actively seeking 1 judge to fill the last slot (you need to have access to high-speed internet for the download). Yes, Eureka; I know that you volunteer. I may set a cut-off date for judge candidates, and then post a small voting thread; letting the community vote in the next judge. Whoever applies needs to be serious about this duty. The entrants put a lot of their own time into these levels; they deserve just as much of an effort in the judging of them.

I will be posting the actual instruction thread no later than the 1st of December (the official start time). So any input needs to be put forth as soon as possible.

-Keith

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 21:41
sweet... time to start thinking....

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 21:57
I think we need a limit on file sizes.
This has been discussed a bit before but it is a one level contest.
And this will lead to more level optimization.
If you want to win you are going to have to put out the goods...
average won't cut it anymore.
And like Keith was referring to if you haven't entered the contest before you should play a few of the entries from last month's contest to see how it's done and what you are getting yourself into.
And I do think every two months is a good idea for the contest.
People have other things to do and it gives people more time to polish their entries.
I wish everyone who enters the contest the best of luck and thank the people who sponsor it (those that donate the cool stuff).

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 22:17
I'm ready for this contest. And I know what you guys are looking for now. I think I'll do pretty well with this level. I never realized how long you could make a level because my computer is slow and even on small levels it will still lag. But I'm ready now And I think I'll do good.

P.S. Every two months for a competition is probably the way to go. A little long but the longer the time you have the better the level

I love butter

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 21:23:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 21:23:19