Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Dynamic/static & Physics ON/OFF - how do they work?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 04:28
This may seem like a question coming from a newcomer here, but I still haven't figured out these.

According to me :

Static lights : Lights which cannot be lit/unlit in the game (they remain lit!) Since they do not use any code, the framerates are a bit better

Dynamic lights : Lights which can have scripts attached to make the light on/off using plrdistance, switches or any other condition! But too many dynamic lights make the game slower.

Physics ON : To be used on objects which the player may be able to push, pick up, break etc. But this slows down the game considerably.
examples : crates, barrels, glass etc

Physics OFF : To be used on objects which the player can't pick up, break etc. Turning physics OFF will help the framerates a lot.
examples : Doors, windows, switches, (infact, all other entities!)

{Please correct anythign you may find wrong in the above mentioned statements.}

Also, from what I have heard on the forums, just turning physics OFF may not help much. You may have to also reset the individual physics properties (such as weight, friction, etc) to zero!

I am asking this, because I am going to make some changes in the .fpe files of all my entities in FPSC. Like Butterfingers said, its better to go through this trouble once rather than everytime you place an entity in a map.

So if everything I said holds true, then I can safely :
a) turn all my light entities to static
b) turn all my crate & barrel entities to physic ON
c) turn all other entities to physic OFF

Thank you for your help,

filya

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 05:55
Quote: "Physics ON : To be used on objects which the player may be able to push, pick up, break etc. But this slows down the game considerably.
examples : crates, barrels, glass etc"

ODE itself is faster than you think - the physics are not so much the probelm as the entitiy itself being dynamic. Because it is dynamic, every loop FPSC checks its script, health, ect - where with static objects it doesn't (they are part of the level)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 21:23:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 21:23:53