Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / How many "elite" like games are released/under development?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Written in DB or DBPro..
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 06:49
And the silence shall be your answer....

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 12:01
i never played elite are there any free downloads???

ARE YOU A 3D MODELER??? IF SO WE NEED YOU!!!
EMAIL mynameisnoneofyourbuisness@hotmail.com to work on the new Star Strike project!!!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making one. It's called First World!

Pincho.
n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 17:11
There are A LOT OF elite games that made on DB or DBP! And do you want to know why? Because every 'lamer' thinks that his game is elite. So I guess that about 10000

I'd like to change the world, but God doesn't want to give me sources!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 17:14 Edited at: 5th May 2003 17:20
Elite...free downloads, ya!, David Brabham (one of the authors) released it into the public domain, but it runs in base memory since it was a dos program and most modern PCs cause the program to complain it does not have enough base memory, so you need to run a PC emulator running DOS to run it, most modern machines are using base memory for other things and won`t let it go easily, so you have to emulate an old PC running dos on your new PC running windows to run it (gasp pant wheeze....there must be an easier way to explain it )

Mentor.

oops..almost forgot, at the moment StarWraith is the closest thing to Elite I know of written in DB, it`s a pretty good game and theres a demo available, come to think of it, it`s the only commercial game available written in DarkBasic at the moment (AFAIK).

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 17:18
@mhack

We don't know. Why? - Because serious DB/DBP game developers never even mention the game on the forum at all, until it is released, or very shortly before it is released.

Current Project: TANK MELÉE [Artwork]

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
mhack
Years of Service
User Offline
Good answer

I love elite.. But as of now, I'm writing diferent game..

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
When you say "elite" do you mean:
a) Really professional game that could be released.
b) Game that is a remake of something called "Elite".

If a), then I would guess, that everyone has one game that they are secretely doing.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 01:51
Omg...this thread was dead...Next time I'll more cautious with what I post on :-s

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
Glennyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 13:31
I'm working on one... still tinkering with AI at the minute. There's a thread about it here somewhere... called "Possible Retro Competition Entry" I think. I didn't finish it in time, but still hope to finish it sometime.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 15:45
StarWraith isn't the ONLY commercial DB game, just the most well known one.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 16:29
go here to get Frontier(elite 2):

http://sharoma.com/frontierverse/

First there was Elite
Then there was Frontier(Elite II)
Then there was First Encounters(Elite III) - this game was full of bugs and was taken off market soon after it was released.

In the Elite series you start with a spaceship & 100credits. There is no storyline or objective, you just do what you like.
You can buy vegetables on a farming type world then travel to a industrial world and make a profit. Or better still you can buy narcotics/guns/slaves/WMD and sell them for a huge profit - but you might attract interest of police. Oh and you can't get such items without travelling to a planet with no government - a planet full of trigger happy pirates. You could even become a pirate - blow up an innocent ship and pilage the cargo that survives the explotion. Or you could become a bounty hunter, but you gotta get a good combat rating before anyone takes you serious. Your combat rating starts at Harmless, kill some people (innocent, baddies, police it don't matter just blow 'em up) and your rating will go to mostly harmless. Then, if I remember right, you go to poor, then average(i think), etc etc, all the way to ELITE.

Elite is not a game - it's a way of life.

I heard that Elite IV is in development. When it comes out it's bound to have an on-line game, and me and my mate are looking to create a gang of pirates - we gonna loot, pillage and kill
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 18:25
the post said "Elite like" games, so I assume he is talking about THE Elite , yeah! that game (and the sequels) rocked, I still have the original Elite in a box with the maps and stuff somewhere, can even remember the name of some of the systems zaonce, tionsila, degebe, sol , a way of life that game was, though i hated it when a faulty docking computer stuffed you into the side of a space station.

Mentor.

mhack
Years of Service
User Offline
I meant any open-end, space fight and trading game..
like Elite, E2, FFE..

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 19:13
None that I am aware of.

If you really want to play Elite, check out Christian Pinder's Elite: The New Kind, written in C. His website is at www.newkind.co.uk. Unfortunately, David asked Christian to pull the downloads. You can still find v1.0 with the v1.1a upgrade on other sites by doing a google search though.

Phil

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie?
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
This thread is dead, from 2 months ago, why did you bump it, Philip?

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 01:49
I'm not gonna say my game is Elite. Thats what I want the people to decide. Considering graphics arent that good, and controls could use some adjusting, I doubt that anyone will say its elite, but hopefully "Average". As long as people think my game is Average, I'll be happy.

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 04:10
jeez, we brought it from the dead after it was brought from the ded! lol!

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 06:29
you're right, it is from 2 months ago. Didnt notice that.

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 08:01
New MMORPG game..Shadows Gate: Multiplayer...almost everybody knows about it atm.

SG=Shadows Gate
http://www.gpinteractive.com/shadowsgate/
New RPG game coming to you from GP Interactive
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 09:24
Actual Elite type games seem very popular to be developed. I think everyone wants to create the next game that will be thought of 20 years down the road as a classic.

Same with RPGs, how many want to recreate FF, or Bards Tale, Ultima, etc. To many.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:54:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:54:53