Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / pre-purchase questions about FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Is it possible to create outdoor games with FPS?

2. Is it possible to use models from other sources (such as those found at http://www.pixeldirector.com) which come in 3ds or directx format?

3. Is it possible to use a world building program such as 3D World Studio or ConvSEO to create levels and import them into a game instead of manually laying out the entire level myself?

4. I have also heard about games creating with it slowing down after many entities have been added. Is this true? How does it's speed compare to DBPro when dealing with large games?

I downloaded the demo and was impressed by how easy it was to use. If it can create the type of games that I am looking for, with the speed I am looking for, I will probably purchase it soon.

Jason
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 04:09
Quote: "1. Is it possible to create outdoor games with FPS?

2. Is it possible to use models from other sources (such as those found at http://www.pixeldirector.com) which come in 3ds or directx format?

3. Is it possible to use a world building program such as 3D World Studio or ConvSEO to create levels and import them into a game instead of manually laying out the entire level myself?

4. I have also heard about games creating with it slowing down after many entities have been added. Is this true? How does it's speed compare to DBPro when dealing with large games?

I downloaded the demo and was impressed by how easy it was to use. If it can create the type of games that I am looking for, with the speed I am looking for, I will probably purchase it soon."

1. Hardly.
2. no they have to be in .x format
3. yes but the collision will suck.
4. yes its true. dbpro has alot more power, it handles things alot better. but the slowing down in fpsc is really all about your computer specs.

5. i hope i assisted you.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
there are plus sides
you can make outdoor games but the landscapes have to be entities

if its in .3ds format there is a converto so it will make it .x

laying out the entire level in fps creator is probably much easier because its a drag and drop editor

yes they do get slower but its getting uch better with each release plus if you make 98% of your entites static and remove physics on doors etc it works a lot faster

The Beta Cell Website 3% http://tbc.redlime.org
Wanna help me make an all new FPSCreator Resource website?
Submit your media for public use here! http://fpsc.redlime.org
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 04:48 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 04:48
Outdoor games are not possible with the current build.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 18:48
@ blooddeath and gam3r

directx format is .x format isn't it, as far as i know anyway

so what's the job?
DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 19:01
Yes, DirectX format is the .x format.

Also about the outside levels, it can be done, however you will be required to be extremely creative as to how it is done effectively and without lag issues; should you decided to buy FPSC.

Best of luck.

- Damon
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:19
Outside bits aren't the problem, however terrain is. FPSC isn't really isn't designed to cope with terrain as their are collisions. The way to get terrain is the problem; because terrain is basically a huge static entity (bigger than FPSC can cope with, no matter how low-poly is it), FPSC has trouble calculating collision and so, sometimes, enemies can fall through the terrain unexplainably.

As you should know, FPSC comes with a range of sky-boxes (though you can't change them in the demo version). So, if you want a window to the outside or even a carpark, field, courtyard or garden, it's possible. If you can create custom segment texture, you can achieve alot of diversity; it's even better if you can model in 3D because you can create different segment shapes.

About your other points:
2) Yes, but if they're animated then you may need to re-do the animations in FragMotion or Milkshape.

3) Yes, Higgins tried it but he found it a bit difficult and some issues. It's best to stay with FPSC and make new segments and entities if you want originality.

4) I don't use DBpro so i can't give a comparison but FPSC does have some lag issues however its well documented around the forums the many ways to help beat it. Use the "Search" button at the bottom of every page to help you locate useful material.

Hope that helped,

AE

Jcoggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks to everyone for their input. I currently plan to continue experimenting with the demo of FPSC to see what I can do.

I have purchased DBPro and will start learning it. It seems like a more complex product then FPSC and it looks like it will take more time to learn.

Jason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 21:21:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 21:21:28