Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Load Terrain question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 12:30
Is it possible to load and .x or .dbo object as a terrain?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 13:17
Normally, terrain files are just DBT files which you can load normally, but if you plan to use an .X or a .DBO file for terrain, it will need to be treated like any other object. The standard Terrain functions will not work on the object loaded in this manner.

Paul.

Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 13:08
hmmmm any way of converting objects in .x or .dbo to .DBT?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 22:46
Jna99, I'll be honest, I don't think it will be as straight forward as first thought trying to convert either an .X or a .DBO file. The thing is that Terrain objects are setup internally to deal with the terrain height points at specific vertices of the terrain. Unless the file format for a DBT file is available, a terrain <-> object conversion may not be possible. I'm not qualified to elaborate any further unless the format specification is made available.

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I never tried to use the Terrain Engine but looking at the Terrain commands that are available I believe you could only convert a mesh to a terrain if said mesh had a "grid" layout with equal spacing between nodes on X and Y.

If it normally only produces terrains from a heightmap, it means that you cannot have overhangs etc. In other words, support is limited to Magic Carpet-style terrains.

I have vague plans for World Domination
y2ksw
Years of Service
User Offline
In DBPro, the (advanced) terrains are saved simply as *.dbo files (in fact no other extension is allowed). In DSDK it is not working any way since a null pointer assignment crashes the game at a saving attempt (any case).

Loaded *.dbo (DBPro) files are correctly handled as terrains. However some objects may cause a weird behaviour, such as overhanging meshes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:16:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:16:49