Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The ConvSEO/Sketchup Competition.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 16:09
For those of you who don't know; Sketchup is a very easy to use modeling program. There is currently a competition being sponsored by TGC, involving level creation using Sketchup (including the free version). I believe the prizes are either a $100 TGC Store Voucher, or a free copy of ConvSEO (which converts Sketchup models for use in games).

Check out the full spread here. Please direct all questions about this contest to it's respective board.

-Keith

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:51
but sketch up can be imported to fpsc, so why did you post this?

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 21:10 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 21:10
Because the guy/Moderator asked us to spread the word about the competition. Here, read up more on it here. It simplifies the process of importing a model for use in DB applications. Pleas note that the free version of Sketchup is to be used to make media for non-commercial purposes only. I've already heard people talk about trying to get around that.

-Keith

Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
Sketchup is rock...
Here some images about my entry in this compo.
Sketchup and ConVseo are excelent to prepare levels for FPSC...
You should give a try...
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 00:30 Edited at: 6th Dec 2006 13:35
crap, the last one kicks ! nice work man. would it be against the law to use sketch up models in the Nvidia contest?

Mod note:Getting around the swear filter is the same as swearing.Please don't.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
Alemar
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe just if you will sell your game.
Alemar

www.marcoalemar.com
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 01:46
Quote: "but sketch up can be imported to fpsc"

really, how?

it can only export as a picture or in Google Earth format.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 01:52
If you have the full version of Sketchup, you can export in .3DS format. You can also use the new ConvSEO program to make it easier.

Thanks for showing these guys what Sketchup is capable of, Alemar. If there's a pipeline brewing for Sketchup/FPSC, it could really be the ticket in making your levels stand out. As long as the collision problems are resolved.

-Keith

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

How do you convert Sketchup to FPSC? I understood you had to own Convseo and DBPro in order to use it. Will the conversion work directly to a format we can use or would it still need to be manipulated. Sketchup is awesome but I don't have DBPro.
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 13:20
Hi Guys,

KeithC, thanks for the mention.

ConvSEO brings SketchUp (Free or Pro) models into DBPro as a series of individual objects that you can then manipulate in any way you wish. Collision is demonstrated in the included model viewer program and also in a DarkPHYSICS/DarkLIGHTS demo that Lee put together, which also comes with the plug-in.

However (bearing in mind I am no FPSC expert) it's my understanding that a SketchUp model would need to be converted to an entity in order to be used in FPSC.

One last thing... I cannot say for sure but I would not get too excited about the 3DS export from SketchUp Pro, in relation to DB. It's my understanding that there are data blocks in the file that don't follow the standard and thus prevent DB from importing the file. Hence ConvSEO, which imports the OBJ files that Pro generates, or the KML files (found inside the KMZ archive) that Free generates.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 19:56 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 01:57
NVM, answered in seperate post,

When I step into this library, I cannot understand why I ever step out of it.
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike J

Will you work on a version later that directly exports to FPSC?
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 04:40
No i can import any sketchup model to fpsc
its very simple actually all you do....
is well you get both full version and demo, what i mean is, get the free version, and the trail of professional one *has all features but can only be used for a full 50 hours*, which means you have to have it open for 50 hours, all you do is make the model in the free version boot up the trail, slap it in, pull it out as a .3ds in under a min or so there for, almost unlimited model exporting

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 21:20:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 21:20:23