Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Flaming and Team Requests for FPSC?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 03:41
Yes,
I am finally experimenting with forums.
So, I thought why not make one that offers what you are not allowed to do here.
This way FPSC can be pushed to every limit.
I hope this doesn't seem like I am going against TGC because I am not.
I wanted to provide something that the community can benefit from without TGC reaping the hassles associated to it.

This site may not be up long due to hackers, because like I said it is my first attempt at a forum.
So, check it out and offer suggestions, or just bash the idea here.

As you all already know, any game built with FPSC shows as "FPSCgame" in the task bar.
I thought that this may cause traffic from FPSC end users.
So, goto fpscgame.com to check it out.

It's just another FPSC fan site.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 10:23
it goes against AUP by going AROUND the mods. (okay, I only read your title and first sentence... going to bed after staying up WAY too late [punishment for going on these forums]) They mentioned this if you search... (All I remember is... I think... mabey... they said no)

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 12:14
Quote: "it goes against AUP by going AROUND the mods."

If he wants to allow flaming and team requests on his own site then he has every right to do so.
It's his headache...
I wish him the best of luck.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 14:36
As long as it does not cause any conflicts here or bring TGC into disrepute in any way. If it does then anything at all that has anything to do with it wont be allowed to exist at these forums.

What goes on outside of these forums is more a matter for TGC than us Mods

"I am and forever will be your friend"
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 14:52
Well, you're a brave man. I considered forums briefly but they are too much work and I already have a full time job. I like the idea, however and wish you the best of luck. I would like to continue with development of my game, which I know I could never finish by myself, so I will watch and see how it goes on your forum.

Best of luck, and if I can help or you want to cross link or something let me know.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 15:36
xplosys,

A very good point there. Making a full professional quality game is a large undertaking and one which is beyond the scope of most of us with limited resources and skills.

I will be lucky if I finsh one level at my rate of development

Whatever our individual opinions by the way and they vary I am sure Mods only impliment TGC rules - we dont always agree with them though.

Enough said.

Conjured Entertainment,

Good luck with that and to everyone making their games.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 18:27
With all of the fun I have on the forums around here I decided not to have them on my site.
If I need a change of pace I head on over to visit the fine folks at the Ozark Games forums.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 19:10 Edited at: 5th Dec 2006 19:12
First of all thanks, to all those who wish me luck.

Well,
As I said it is just an experiment.
I am not trying to compete with these, or Keith's, forums in any way.
And, I am definitely not trying to go around the mods or rules here.
I just wanted to offer an outlet for team requests.
To me 'indie' means independent not individual.

Consider this...
There are 3 indie game developers.
There skills are as follows... (scale of 1 to 10)

#1)
Game design - 10
Modeling - 6
Sound effects - 3
Scripting - 9

#2)
Game Design - 7
Modeling - 10
Sound effects - 5
Scripting - 3

#3)
Game design - 4
Modeling - 2
Sound effects - 10
Scripting - 8

Now each one of these guys can make a game of decent quality, but if they combine their skills...

Team)
Game design - 10
Modelling - 10
Sound effects - 10
Scripting - 9

Now I know there is more to making a game than these four factors, but this is just a general example.
The point is that two heads are better than one, and even indie games are usually done by small teams.
I am a firm believer that you don't have to fly solo to be an indie developer.
Any person, or small group, that develops games outside the corporate giants is an indie developer.

I know that TGC doesn't want the headaches associated with teams, and the conflicts that can come from them.
I don't blame them.
And I'm not trying to contradict their beliefs, or argue the team idea.
This is just a chance for me to play with forum admin without risking the loss of any crucial data.
Once these guys hook-up for their teams they will probably be emailing each other instead of divulging their secrets in the forum. So, the data there will be no big loss should I get hacked due to my inexperience with forums admin.

Like I said before it might not stay up very long anyway.
So, take advantage while it is, and use it to openly discuss anything pertaining to FPSC.

Quote: "As long as it does not cause any conflicts here or bring TGC into disrepute in any way. "

That is definitely not my intention, and anyone who knows me at all knows that I will jump to defend FPSC and TGC against anyone who badmouths either.
I love FPSC and I have the deepest respect and admiration for TGC.
I simply think that the lack of teams is slowing the progress of FPSC development.
It's just an opinion, but I think if we had FPSC teams, then you would see alot more top quality FPSC games being released commercially, which would benefit the community overall.
That is not to say that there aren't any top quality games being made, because there are a lot of talented people here creating great stuff.
I just think we would see alot more if these talents were combined.

Be it known now,
Should my fan site cause any conflict with TGC, then I would take it down myself immediately.
So, you need not worry about that.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 10:28
The problem with teamrequests is overall team-work.

Quote: "#1)
Game design - 10
Modeling - 6
Sound effects - 3
Scripting - 9

#2)
Game Design - 7
Modeling - 10
Sound effects - 5
Scripting - 3

#3)
Game design - 4
Modeling - 2
Sound effects - 10
Scripting - 8"

I predict this...

Guy number 2 clearly has no experiance with scripting... but guy 3 and guy 1 might fight over how 'scripting' aspects be done. But, I would guess, that it would still get done.

Modeling is more something that you do... but others will want things to look certain ways. Only if the inexperianced begin modeling for the project will there be 'issues'.

Soundeffects is something everyone thinks they are good at, even if they are not. Only a clear and stubborn group leader can control the 'sound-effect avalanch' if it comes to that.

Game design, is like soundeffects, everyone thinks they are 'good' at it. Another reason for a good, strong, group leader who controls things like that.

So what you have is 2 catagories which may go array. Unless the groupleader is strong and actually is activly contributing, the tensions with in the group could escalade in a pandemonious outburst. Disolving the group and losing the game.

What you need, is a ranking system, to allow people to decide which is the better group. And, in actuallity, each group should get a sub forum. (I allways wanted that in a forum), because managment of a group would fall on you... because most group leaders are bad group leaders.

The forum, even with out those shananagins, is a good idea. Don't get me wrong.

Once again... by comming here I stayed up too late. And once again, I close on this thread.... around the same time

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 10:38
Hey... I was right!

RF Online
or rather reality forgottens thread... forgot reality.... isn't that true.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 00:51 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 01:17
Quote: "Another reason for a good, strong, group leader who controls things like that...So what you have is 2 catagories which may go array. Unless the groupleader is strong and actually is activly contributing, the tensions with in the group could escalade in a pandemonious outburst. Disolving the group and losing the game."

A group leader is always a good idea just to have someone break democratic ties and have a final word.
But, if the group can't come together in a census as to who should be in charge of what, then yeah, turmoil.
If they can't resolve any issues, then they probably were never a real team anyway and should dissolve.

You know, I often thought of what would happen should we have been working together instead of bickering.
I guess people have to be willing to compromise for the sake of the game making knowing that in the long run the games we create are more important than our petty personal preferences.

EDIT
I just looked at that thread you linked too.
I never knew it existed, or at least I don't remember seeing it before.
Anyway, what's fair is fair.

If RF can't make a post like this than neither should I.
So Mods, in fairness to Reality Forgotten, lock this at will.
Like I said I never read that before.
Had I, then I would never have even posted this thread at all.

Sorry if I appeared as a trouble maker, because again I never meant to bend the rules.

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured I like the idea, I signed up on the forums, let me know if you need help with anything.
stevegabrio@hotmail.com

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 01:14
Thanks Urlforce,
I see we just picked up one more.

I have seen a lot of team requests made here in my time in the forums.
All but one got shot down, which in that one I questioned why his was allowed when the others were not.

I expected more people to join, but you never can tell.
Anyway, it would be nice to see a few of these multi-talented people get together for a game.
I know it would kick butt, but now the competition will show off what FPSC can do anyway.
I just keep wondering what if...

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 01:20 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 01:37
Be careful guys and dont use these forums for talking team collaboration directly here please. Do it through the said site of Conjured Entertainment.

You tread a tightrope here.

Conjured Entertainment,

Mods understand that your intentions were for good and honourable reasons in starting this thread. I thank you for your genuine comments and understanding.

I will lock this as requested. Though it has nothing to do with any comment here with regard to RF or any other member specifically or your request. Its simply my decision for Mods alone decide what constitute a lockable thread. I am not interested or influenced by opinions of others who have commented here. It has been said and said again each individual Mod decision is just that. Moderators alone decide whats fair and whats not. There is sometimes a fine line between whats allowed and whats not. Some threads of similar nature may be allowed - others not.

It was almost ineviatble that this would be locked sooner or later I am sorry it has to be that way.

Quote: "Sorry if I appeared as a trouble maker, because again I never meant to bend the rules"

I do not believe that anyone would think that of you certainly not I.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 21:16:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 21:16:00