Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Other uses for FPSCreator.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 18:00
I started one of these threads up a long time ago; but I'd like to see what other people are up to, outside of creating a First Person Shooter.

I make maze/puzzle levels with it; if the frame-rate issue wasn't so prohibitive, I'd make much larger/more elaborate mazes. I think one thing FPSC could be is a great "mock-up" tool to use in planning out a game or level. Something a programmer could use to put together enough of a game to attract artists/programmers to his/her project. It is also useful for teams to use to shoot ideas back and forth, regardless of what game engine you use.

I'm surprised no one has made a Shooting Gallery game. I've thought about it for some time, and plan on making one for free in the future (though I may wait for X10 to come along).

I can see someone using FPSC for an architectural "walkthrough" for clients as well (using .X models, not the segments).

What do you guys think?

-Keith

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 18:39
This has some thoughts.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79844&b=21

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 21:10
nice thread there xplosys.

keith, if someone can program real well (using VB or C++ or such), they can actually come up with a great environment with FPSC.

1. You can have a player go to different rooms to play different games
2. You can actually make a 3D kind of windows environment, where each room is a folder (or file) you use very often.

Ofcourse, this would be only for fun. Doesn't serve much practical purpose!

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 21:32
Educational projects. That's what I'm using FPSC for mainly. I've been working on a 3 part christian educational game for a Dutch non-for-profit organization.

Kids learn something about a certain topic and in each level there's a mini game like find a key, solve a problem, collect a # of items and so on.

The learning happens through characters telling a 'story' or by walking though a gallery with pictures on the walls.

FPSC works very well for it and gives the wanted results fast. The main part of these kind of projecs. Game creation is just my fun usage of FPSC.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 22:02
I wish the FPSC map size was a weeee bit larger then I would love to scale my neighborhood block into a multiplayer map... And also skin/texture 8 character models with me neighbor's face on each one... And hand out copies to each of my neighbors and we can have block wars where it pits neighbor against neighbor... Now there is an idea and FPSC being deathmeatch only will keep the neighbors from teaming up on each other.

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 22:29
@CLiPs

I don't know if this works in multi-player but I know that it does in single player mode.

When the player reaches the edge of the map on one level, you can transport him almost seamlessly to the next level. If you do in a hallway or dark area or something similar, it is almost impossible to detect, thereby seeming like he's still on the same level.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 23:20
xplosys,

Quote: "you can transport him almost seamlessly to the next level."

I know putting winzones wont exactly be seamless, so do you mean by putting teleporting scripts? And if yes, then I think it has to be a different layer, not a different level huh?

Actually this sounds like a great idea!

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 23:40
Yeah, I meant layer on the map. And you don't need the whole teleporter thing. You can use "PLRMOVETO". Higgins did it in one of his comp levels.

Best.

fourmsterr
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Educational projects. That's what I'm using FPSC for mainly. I've been working on a 3 part christian educational game for a Dutch non-for-profit organization.

Kids learn something about a certain topic and in each level there's a mini game like find a key, solve a problem, collect a # of items and so on.

The learning happens through characters telling a 'story' or by walking though a gallery with pictures on the walls.

FPSC works very well for it and gives the wanted results fast. The main part of these kind of projecs. Game creation is just my fun usage of FPSC."

OMG kids will now learning to shoot in church.......

what have this world gone to now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 03:23 Edited at: 9th Dec 2006 03:25
...parkour! lets just hope advanced wall bouncing is available in x10!!

Quote: "I'm surprised no one has made a Shooting Gallery game."

your very right.

i actually had a random idea to make a pool/billiards/snooker game somehow, i actually think that it may be possible

Slayer Simon
Years of Service
User Offline
One of my first FPSC projects was a shooting gallery were barrels and bottles would move back and forth through the air and you had to shoot them to move on to the next room. There was this one part were those hovering skulls would come at you real fast and you had to shoot them or they would explode when they hit you. I never finished it though because I was having trouble with the physics.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 06:23
I'm using it to do backgrounds for my Adventure Game I'm making.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 11:22
Quote: "OMG kids will now learning to shoot in church.......

what have this world gone to now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Who said there's shooting in the projects? You can create a project in FPSC without guns, so there's no shooting in any of those projects.

Quote: "I'm using it to do backgrounds for my Adventure Game I'm making."

Sounds interesting, how do you go about doing this?

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
My son (second grade) had a school project we used FPSC for. PTA Reflections contest is a national event his class required participation in it. The theme was "my favorite place" and they could use various media to make their project with. He drew up original art. He scanned it and used Signs3 to make custom segments. He built his version of a castle and did a video walkthru that he recorded with FRAPS. He learned a lot and his project is being evaluated now at a second phase of judging.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 08:13 Edited at: 10th Dec 2006 08:14
If anyone wants to undertake it... in its current condition... making classic arcade games is totally possible within the FPSC structure.

As entities have the "anywithin" command, 'launching' an entity at them would trigger the following command-action set.

:anywithin=20:destroy,activateifused=1

score tracking would be done by counter...

:activated=1:incstate=1,activate=0
:activated=2:incstate=2,activate=0

although, transition of score to screen would be a nearly impossible task... only adjustment of the plrhealth could do this.

Basic movements, used in space invaders, would probally be what the games would be limited to, due to the use of "anywithin" as the kill factor.

As for the gun... scancodeing the spacebar (and locking the plr via teleport loop) and spawning enemys that use

::movefore=3
:anywithin=15:destroy

as their scripts (possibly adding in activateifused to delimit the fire rate)

:activated=1:timerstart,activate=0,state=1000
:state=1000,timergreater=3000,scancodethingy=weirdnumber:activateifused=1

Either way... as I see it... possible... but not done.

And that is just the spaceshooters... I am certain that others like centipede could be made (after all, only the 'head' can't touch other enemys, and if the settargetname is an action, then they could followtarget (or similar)) if people took the time to try.

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 00:33
These are all great ideas (including Xplosys' old thread). Keep it coming.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 17:04
I work in a large building that is very poorly laid out. Visitors have a hard time finding certain areas, even with directions. I have proposed mapping out the building with FPSC and making videos that visitors could watch at the front desk that would guide them to their location. Management is still considering it.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 17:15
That would be a great idea to impliment, Luke.

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 20:10 Edited at: 15th Dec 2006 20:11
I made a pointless basketball game before. The ball was just a dynamic object and the hoop was a static with polygon colision. You basically pick up the object with the right click, then throw it at the hoop.

really simple, but i couldn't really put it to any use.

(if only there was a way to only run a script when the ball has gone in the hoop. trigger zones are just too big for this )

gw:tyrano man-lvl 20 E/Mo
tyrano man kill-Lvl 8 W/Mo
rs:tyrano man 2-lvl 68
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 14:29
just assign the the condition anywithin=x to the inside of the hoop(maybe an invisible entity inside it) and if the basketball is within 1 unit of the entity/inside of the hoop(basically touching it), it will trigger a score script. I might try that actually

so what's the job?
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 17:21
wow that sounds like a good idea!

and also if you do try it; don't take all the credit, say you developed on my idea or something

gw:tyrano man-lvl 20 E/Mo
tyrano man kill-Lvl 8 W/Mo
rs:tyrano man 2-lvl 68
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 20:17
Here is shooter that is not made with FPSC but gives a cool new twist to this genre and could be easily done with FPSC:

Clean some of the famous european cities from pigeon s*** and shoot/kill these birds with a slingshot and golfballs, lighters, buses etc.

http://www.flugratten.de/

Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:55
How about machinima? With mmultiplayer support you can have your friends act out the scene, and have one person without a gun to the recording! You can even re-texture the models and create your own characters!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 19:27
Quote: "machinima"

I still believe that if people took the time to script their movies that they would come out alot better (you don't have the type of control over enemy animations in MP as you do in SP)

Quote: "a cool new twist to this genre "

Not the best thing to say, but 'shoot the pigeons' is a very old concept.

If you fear speaking for yourself, make use the words of others while discovering your own voice.
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making a puzzle style game set in Victorian London.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:29:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:29:03