Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 18:59
I've noticed some DP demos have a blur on moving objects.
It looks cool, but what causes the effect?

Ad Astra Per Asper

Attachments

Login to view attachments
VRMan3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 19:48
The motion blur effect is caused by a combination of turning off the backdrop (BACKDROP OFF - tells DBPro to stop clearing the screen, which would usually leave a big repeating mess behind when objects move around the screen) and by creating a 'skybox' with a semi-transparent material. The 'skybox' in the case of the demos is a textured sphere.

The reason this works is because the semi-transparent 'skybox' erases a certain amount of the leftover graphics from the previous frames, but not all of it. So after a number of frames it will succeed in erasing everything and this results in a motion blur effect.

Does that make sense? To get a better idea of what's happening, try messing around with the alpha transparency percentage of the object. I would assume that setting it to be ALMOST completely transparent would mean it would take a lot longer to erase the previous frames, and vice versa.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
-=VRMan=-

World Famous 3D Screensavers
-- http://www.vrman3d.com --
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 21:48
Thanks, VRMan.
You are correct about the settings. Seems like the effect ought
to be good in a game.

Ad Astra Per Asper
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 01:46
Wow, that's a nice effect. So simple to implement as well. Particles would look awesome. I never saw that demo.

The alpha mapping costs around 45 fps (405-360) on my system. That is an excellent option to have in a game.

Thanks guys!

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 06:44:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 06:44:44