Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Tempest string quirk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
While building my current multiplayer project I noticed something rather odd and was wondering if this is just me or what. First off, im using the latest build of tempest w/DBPro ver 1.057

At this stage of programming my game is only sending strings between the client and server. If i use 2 TPutString's one after the other, no problem, but when I place a third in the mix, that third string seems to get stolen by the net monkeys.

As a quick-fix, if i clear out the strings and send a NEW message with that third string, it works fine, but now im having to send and recieve 2 messages every cycle and would rather condense it back down to once. Any help on this would be grateful.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 04:23
I can't seem to reproduce this bug, any chance of some code? I get no problems here, but I'm running on the latest DBP update.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version
Autowaaagh
Years of Service
User Offline
I have since updated to the lastest version of DBPro, but I still get the same result. Ive included my handleNetwork() function. The program allows for chat between 2 players and also allows the user to make dice rolls and have them seen on both client/host. Originally I couldnt figure out as to why the dice string wasnt showing up, then I switched the order of the stings being sent and found out that for whatever reason the 3rd string wasnt going thru.

Just as an example, the diceResult$ usually ends up looking something like: "**playerName rolled XX on xD6**" or "**playerName rolled X, X, X, X, on 4d6**"

chatMessage$ could look like any type of IM you would send.

Autowaaagh
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont how much bearing these two factors have, but I noticed that whenever I send a number thru tempest (be it a float or int), tempest seems to multiply the number by 256. This was an easy fix so im not so worried about it, but I just thought I'd send it out there incase that rings any bells.

Also I just checked the Host log and found this:
[00:48:26] Game started

[00:48:39] New Player 2 has joined

[00:48:54] Recv error 10054

With the error 10054 repeating about 40times with the same timecode
Autowaaagh
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I seemed to have fixed it all. I noticed in another post that Benjamin had said not to send empty data, which the program was doing. So I just added a few variables and if...then statements to exclude the strings and other variables if there was no data present and it seems to have fixed everything, even that small annoyance of multiplying numbers by 256. so whatever.

But I really DO love this plugin Benjamin, before I used the standard DBP networking and when I tried out yours I was just amazed. Keep up the good work!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 20:56
Quote: "I dont how much bearing these two factors have, but I noticed that whenever I send a number thru tempest (be it a float or int), tempest seems to multiply the number by 256"

Strange, I've never encountered this, although strangely enough I think I found the cause of this earlier today. While not appearing all the time, it does seem to be a bug.

Quote: "With the error 10054 repeating about 40times with the same timecode"

That's normal: it happens when one peer tries to send data to another peer that has disconnected abnormally(like closing the application for instance).

Glad to hear it's working ok now.

Quote: "But I really DO love this plugin Benjamin, before I used the standard DBP networking and when I tried out yours I was just amazed. Keep up the good work!"

Thanks.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:31:19