Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 11:54 Edited at: 10th Dec 2006 11:58
Hi,

Ok; I have successfully loaded a Sketchup model into my world, and plonked the car down into the world. I give the car some power, and it just sits there, spinning wheels.

The code isn't to flash:

The strange thing is, if I simply have a big box and make a static rigid box out of it, the car drives just fine. Ditto if I load a track created in Milkshape or something.

I've tried making a material for the sketchup model, but that didn't seem to change anything. I'm not getting any error codes, so that isn't the problem. If I drop the car from a height, it bounces on the surface, so there's a whole lot of physics working properly.

I've found and worked through Lee's DP and ConvSEO example, and I can't see anything that he is doing that I'm not. I've looked through the other vehicle example, but they are loading .dbo's, so they are not applicable.

It's got to be something simple, otherwise loading a standard .x file would not work.

Any suggestions?
neilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 13:09
I solved the problem!

The story is this: I created a racetrack in Sketchup to run a car around on, just to get an idea of scale etc. The track was sketeched directly onto the ground layer; essentially the track was two dimensional.

It didn't work.

I've been banging my head for 24 hours over this, but I had a burst of inspiration. Long story short; I extruded the racetrack slightly, so it had thickness.

Bingo.

My little car was racing around the track.

So: when designing roads, make sure they have depth.

I'll post this as well over in the ConvertSEO forum.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:32:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:32:16