Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Can one create a moving starfield skybox?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

New to the forum, I just bought FPS Creator and I'm starting to use it this week.

My question: is it possible to use a "moving" skybox in FPS creator? I'd like to create a level set inside a spaceship, where the outside view looks like you're flying through a starfield. (The idea is somewhat similar to an effect I'd seen in an Unreal Tournament map...)

I didn't see any skyboxes in the game that match this description. Possibly one could be created??

Thanks!
Regards
CG
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 22:41
Maybe do a window?

Soldiers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 22:43
what is a sky box, (Sorry to sound like a real newbie. I am not good at alll this stuff.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 22:58
Quote: "My question: is it possible to use a "moving" skybox in FPS creator? "

No, not at this time.

Well, not using a conventional skybox anyway.
There have been suggestions before of using decals outside of spaceship windows for star effects in space.
Using super-sized decals for the skybox is a workaround I wouldn't attempt, so I don't know about that.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "decals outside of spaceship"

This would probably be the best option, but making decals isnt easy...maybe pay someone to do it for you?

When I step into this library, I cannot understand why I ever step out of it.
Caesar Green
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, that answers my question. I'm not creating any games I'm going to sell, it's mostly just for my entertainment. So...I'll wait to see if there's ever an engine upgrade. Or maybe in FPS Creator 2...
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 01:05
Didn't Butters have moving clouds?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 01:58
SinninSoul has moving clouds too, but I'm not sure thats what hes talking about.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 02:00
Perhaps the same technique could be applied? (well, at least looking through the top of the spacecraft )

the programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm perhaps create a cloud model with a transparent like cloud texture and animation. This may solve your problem. But if you do not have any modeling, animation and texturing experianse, or software this may be a problem.

But try creating your own model and animation that loops with a cloud texture.
Cheers

the programmer.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 07:26
Yeah create a plan and have a cloud texture on one side and then have it move along waypoints. That may work.

RF

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Possibly use a sphere or semi-sphere with an animated rotation,if you wanted to see stars out of windows on one plane it would be even easier to use an animated cylinder.Just make sure any windows are just on one side of your ship as on the 'other' side your stars would be going backwards.It may also be possible to place animated decals outside each window.
Caesar Green
Years of Service
User Offline
Those are good suggestions. However, I am new to this whole game creation thing and so I don't think I could do the harder stuff without some hard work and practice...

"Possibly use a sphere or semi-sphere with an animated rotation" also sounds familiar, I know Unreal Tournament had levels that used a rotating "outer space" skybox. Maybe my ship should be a derelict, spinning in space..?
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 23:09
To dispell all the confusion, moving sky/stars/clouds/ whatever is totally possible.

It's in FOTF, the clouds in the video move, and I've done the same effect with stars (and a flock of seaguls I seem to remember)

If you dig into the manual a bit you'll find there are some useful commands.

I know that this is horribly ambiguous, I'm being deliberately vague because this is something that I think people should discover and learn for themselves.

Sorry. Don't be offended, I give alot of ideas, concepts and stuff away, but this is something.....secret?

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 23:24 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 23:58
Hey there... Butters is right the information is out there you just gotta do a bit of researching... You should try also thinking outside the box like okay make your night sky and most of your stars in photoshop building your skybox texture then using Terry's Skies you can build your skybox then think about skies and waypoints and if I am correct you can build you sky from decals

Now after looking up a few things look at what I ran into...

Whats this

I wonder what else I can dig up as I look around.... Okay this was just for giggles hope I am not offensive

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 00:21
I loved clerks 2. Jay and silent bob strikes back was better though.

Now back to the important part- Hey butters, I gotta dollar if ya wanna tell me how to do it. Jk. I'll see if I can figure this out.

Tiggle Bitties

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:28:32
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:28:32