Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Physics Friction

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 19:20
Can someone explain how 'Physics Friction' works (when you right click on an entity, near the bottom of the list)? I don't want a (zombie) character to get knocked back when shot, just keep on coming and I though Physics Friction might have something to do with it.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 20:55
Physics weight relates to downward presure of gravity.

Friction is relative to movement over the ground plane.

A combination of these can be used to suit most needs.

I would suggest you use a test level and use a box to adjust settings to extreme high or low settings and go have a look at what happens.

I would recommend not adjusting Characters settings too severely in real game levels until you do some tests as their beaviours could become erratic or you may see other undesirable results.

I find a setting of 500 for both and not the deafults is best for Characters. Otherwsie they can get stuck on paths and so on. Some Charactes wont move at all using some scripts if physics settings are incorrect or innapropriate.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 21:17
Thanks

I've tried all sorts of combinations with weight and friction; ranging from 50 to 5000 but he still gets pushed back, just one of those things I guess

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 21:38
What we dont know is how the engine handles internally a characters behaviour in these instances.

Effectively any object thats heavy enough or drag through friction is great enough should not be able to move when fired at. testing this out on a box should prove that to be the case or not.

In the case of a character - you would encounter difficulty in any case as to make a characters physics so that he would not be able to move when shot then he would probably not even be able to walk at all.

What you would need is a way to dynamically change the physics attributes from normal to something different when shot - the difficulties not worth contemplating perhaps. Not sure what could be done in a characters srcipt if anything

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:27:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:27:29