Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC v10, Anyone goona buy Vista straight away for it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, just wondering if any of you are gonna bother to buy Vista straight away as I have been told that the licence is a con. Sure I would like the new version of FPSC, but will that justify it? x
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I for one will be buying Vista right away. Until I heard about X10, I had no reason to. Really, the only reason I'm upgrading is for the new generation of PC games, directx 10, and FPSC.

I'm NOT so stoked about Vista's "security" features, and DRM.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2006 22:47
Quote: "the licence is a con"

Get the new DarkBasic Professional IDE for only $19.99/~£9.85
Http://synergyide.thegamecreators.com
Http://www.digitalzenith.net
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 01:06
Just got my Intel Quad 4 with Vista and an 8800 installed - all in the name of testing X10 you know! And I even managed to get Lee to build it for me. He managed to buy a similar yet better system!

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 01:17 Edited at: 24th Dec 2006 01:25
Let's see.... I guess Vista will be at least $100 for the upgrade from XP-Home. The there's FPSC X10, I guess $35 for an upgrade. Then there's a new GFX Card that supports DX10, at least $200. But then I need a new system to put the gfx card in and to run Vista properly, since it's not supporting hardware over 3 years old. so that's another $400.

Let's add it up, $100+$200+$400+$35=$735. Just tell me how I can justify $700 for just getting FPSC X10? I don't think so.

Some of us may get some money back from selling games, but looking at FPSC X10 we may see some "pro's" and "pro-studios" picking it up also, making it hard for the little guy to earn it's place.

Next thing is, looking at the time it has taken to get FPSC 1.x really good and we're still not even close to having a stable working version, by the time FPSC X10 is truly producing good stable games every other game creation system has most likely caught up, making it even harder to sell games.

I know the tag like is that we'll be the first to create games for Vista, but don't you think others engines and game designers are relaxing and doing nothing? If FPSC can look as good as other XP games we see now, how will those XP games look on Vista? Even better.

Besides, FPSC is lacking all of the features a good FPSC game should have and when it comes to features FPSC is quite basic. Seeing the trouble TGC has with even getting a good version of V1.x out, I have my doubts X10 will suddenly burst with far beyond basic, features we do need to be competitive with others producing for Vista.

So, no, I'm not going to rush out and buy Vista and get FPSC X10. Before I do invest anymore money into FPSC I need to see a stable working version. What good is an engine that can't produce the games you want to create?

I'm glad Lee and the others at TGC are working hard to improve FPSC and get it stable and good, that's a great effort! But before I do put anymore money into FPSC, I first need to be convinced that FPSC can be stable. We're on 1.04RC 9 now, that's roughly 15 updates or so and none of them has been stable or workable at all. Everyone new is causing new problems previous ones didn't have.

Before adding anymore features and gimmicks (which are cool) to FPSC, I do think a stable working version should be produced first. That will help me convince that FPSC will be worth a good investment. I'm not convinced at all, my doubts are growing with each RC. Don't get me wrong, FPSC works great for my projects, but they're not serious games at all. Like most around here, I don't even dare to create what I really want to, I know I'll get stuck soon enough, since FPSC can't handle. That's not because I want to create something so advanced, that's because FPSC is very unpredictable and unstable and with each RC it seems to get worse.

Having said all of this, I'm sure we will see a good working stable version of FPSC in the end, but I'm afraid my current PC can't handle that one. That means my target audience's PC can't handle it either. I don't want to create games for an elect few, I want to create games for everyone and I do hope that when FPSC is finally stable that will be the case, but I'm afraid it won't be so.

Well that's my reasoning for not even considering buying Vista just for FPSC X10. I'm not considering buying Vista, I'm sure XP will serve me well for a couple of more years and Vista will run XP stuff just as good. FPSC X10 has not changed my mind at all about not getting Vista.

EDIT: RickV just posted while I was typing.....

Quote: "
Just got my Intel Quad 4 with Vista and an 8800 installed - all in the name of testing X10 you know! And I even managed to get Lee to build it for me. He managed to buy a similar yet better system!"

That's what I'm talking about. He's talking about $1000 for the CPU and GFX card alone and here I come with my $735 estimate

Com'on TGC you really have to do something good about FPSC 1 to convince about investing that kind of money. For that kind of money I can buy a lot of toher cool toys...... that are solid.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 02:01 Edited at: 24th Dec 2006 02:09
Quote: "as I have been told that the licence is a con"

lol.

by the time FPSC X10 is released, i would imagine that some more video cards would have gotten onto the market, so you may be able to get one cheaper.

and if you want to go REALLY cheap, Intel will be releasing their integrated GMA 3000's with DirectX10 support and shader model 4.0

although you will lack the power of a real graphics card, it just goes to show that you wont NEED to dish out loads just for DirectX10

(i wouldn't recommend integrated graphics though, just putting it out there)

As for myself, i don't actually have to buy Vista, as i will be receiving an upgrade to Vista Premium with my new laptop, which is very nice

of course I'll still have a DX 9 card, but im not too bothered, according to alot of statements over the Internet, DX10 compatible games wont be widely available for a long time, due to the fact that only a minority of people have the hardware capable of running it

Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 03:11
I think Ill just stay with the current version of FPSC and if my computer breaks down, Ill go ahead and buy Vista. But for now, I'm contempt with what I have.

Game Programmer, Modellor of Encrypto Studios.
Hatchet about 9% Complete (2D Game)
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 05:03
You bet , I'm going to run right out and not buy it.

MY FPSC FILES
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 05:50 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 07:19
Quote: "FPSC v10, Anyone goona buy Vista straight away for it?"

As soon as I can afford it.
I'm probably the only person hoping to win a new computer instead of the publishing deal.

Quote: "just wondering if any of you are gonna bother to buy Vista straight away as I have been told that the licence is a con."

WHAT???
A Microsoft License a CON???

Duh, all of microsoft's licenses are, and each one gets worse.
Of course their license agreements will be worse than anyone elses.
Don't forget that it was Microsoft who practically invented the license agreement for software when they 'sold' MS-DOS to IBM. (when the first PC's came out on the market)

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 06:04
The new license terms say: “You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.”

Quote: "In sheer numbers, this change won't affect many people, but those who are affected represent some of the most vocal and enthusiastic members of the Windows community. I spoke with Shanen Boettcher, General Manager of Windows Vista Product Management, who acknowledged having received "lots of e-mail and other feedback" on this issue.

Here are the practical implications of the change:

* If you purchase a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled, or if you build your own PC using an OEM version of Windows, this change doesn't affect you. Your copy is locked to that PC and cannot be transferred to another.
* If you purchase a retail copy of Windows Vista and install it on a PC, you can install that same copy on another PC, provided you remove it from the original PC. In this scenario, you may be unable to activate the new copy over the Internet, but you will be able to activate over the phone.
* You can perform an unlimited number of upgrades to an existing computer running a retail version of Windows Vista. If those upgrades are significant enough to cause the computer to look like a new PC, you'll be required to reactivate within 30 days.
* This change should resolve one issue associated with the use of Windows Vista in virtual machines as well. Under the newly worded license, you should be able to move a virtual copy of Windows Vista to a new physical hardware without violating the terms of the license agreement, provided that you remove the virtual machine files from the old hardware.

One detail about the new license-enforcement terms remains a mystery. How does Microsoft determine when an upgraded PC crosses over the threshold and goes beyond the specified "tolerance level"? In Windows XP, the algorithm used by Windows Product Activation was documented in a Technical Market Bulletin published around the same time Windows XP was released to manufacturing. For Windows Vista, Boettcher says, the algorithm has changed significantly. "The algorithm in Windows Vista has gotten a bit more intelligent and lenient," he told me. "Different components are assigned different values, with the hard drive and motherboard being the highest-weighted components.""

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=166

MY FPSC FILES
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 06:18 Edited at: 24th Dec 2006 06:29
Quote: "* If you purchase a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled, or if you build your own PC using an OEM version of Windows, this change doesn't affect you. Your copy is locked to that PC and cannot be transferred to another."

This can be worked around in upgrades, couldn't it?
IE... I can upgrade any part of a PC, including the motherboard, and it still is the same machine.

Rebuilding the machine one part at a time I could in fact replace the whole thing eventually with the exclusion of one of the original parts, like the case, and it is still the same machine only upgraded.

I haven't read the agreement yet, but I'm sure there is a loophole somwhere.

Edit
That little power on light indicator would be all you would have to move over to your 'new PC' and then you have upgraded your old machine (A LOT) rather than transfered the OS to a new system.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 11:57
Quote: "and if you want to go REALLY cheap, Intel will be releasing their integrated GMA 3000's with DirectX10 support and shader model 4.0

although you will lack the power of a real graphics card"

I have an older Intel graphics card for my pc and I can verify they suck.

The bottom line is that I,much like everybody else,will not be getting a complete upgrade in the immediate future unless I get a rich girlfriend then my current one becomes my stalker...
However,sooner or later,we will all have to upgrade.
Yeah,I know there are those still using Windows 95 and 98...
It would be easier to upgrade to a current system than to use those now.
Five years from now we will all be talking about all of this in the past tense and we will have moved on to something else even more advanced.
It is evolution...you either evolve or you will perish.
And to my girlfriend...just in case you ever figure out how to turn on/use a computer...that was just a joke...please put down the sniper rifle...I love you.

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 14:34
I myself really would like getting in on the ground floor. But the problem is expenses as well as with most everybody else. The thing is it doesnt just stop with buying the pc... Then its going to be the packs the software upgrades then ofcourse anything and everything I can find to make things easier on me. When I originally bought FPSC I thought hey 50 bucks what have I got to loose....

50 for FPSC
120 for all TGC Model PAcks and Sprite Pack
300 for various TGC Software packs
50 for off site packs another
80 for software that goes strickly with fpsc not sanctioned by tgc
700 for modeling programs

now this doesnt include my pc which ran me about another 900 and its under a year old with no vista

So now a new pc then upgrades then new even better more expensive software.....My head hurts and my wallet hurts even more.... But the sad thing is I know I will do everything within my power to try to get in on this... But I just don't think it will be anytime soon.

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 20:20
The only reason I will get my Vista is for game making.

Twisted Lincoln
Years of Service
User Offline
I will never buy Vista, regardless of how cool FPSC X10 is...

I'm not the only one:

http://www.badvista.org
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 05:42 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 07:20
Quote: "Who wants DirectX 10 for the first year anyway."

I do! I do!

Quote: "and has features that present games don't support and won't support for a good year or two"

That is the point.
We get a jump on the Vista Gaming market.

Quote: "Don't bother, trust me I used to work for Microsoft in New Zealand and I know what they are like and how they like to rip off their customers. That's one of the reasons I left them. The other reason is because the job was boring and tedious. "

You want me to trust a guy who quit Microsoft because the job was too boring?
oooooooook

Quote: "I will never buy Vista, regardless of how cool FPSC X10 is...

I'm not the only one:"

That just means that the guys who do get it will have less competition.
Thanks

I look forward to the great inovations in graphics that Vista, X10, & TGC will soon be offering us.
Thanks again Lee!

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 06:31 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 06:32
get 75% off vista and anything else microsoft, so yes i will.

-edit- to clarify my post, i get the discount LEGALLY.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 07:19
Quote: "get 75% off vista and anything else microsoft, so yes i will."

same here, I stil lgot some microsoft credit left over after that lawsuit a few years back. $200 worth of any software I want, hehehe.

Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 07:19
Quote: "get 75% off vista and anything else microsoft, so yes i will."

same here, I stil; got some microsoft credit left over after that lawsuit a few years back. $200 worth of any software I want, hehehe.

Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 07:21
Hey,guys,
I don't mind you discussing Vista and all but kill the swearing and suggestive material.
Keep in mind that most of our forum members are young people.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 15:41
Being a Microsoft System Builder and Action Pack subscriber, I get all the Microsoft Software for a small annual fee. I need this pretty much for customer support purposes, and to speak somewhat intelligently when someone asks a question.

From purely a business viewpoint, I am currently advising my clients to put off any upgrades for a while. The reasons are many, but I will touch on a few.

1. The biggest change from Windows XP to Vista seems to be in the Digital Rights Management and Anti-Piracy area. There are a few other important changes but all seem to benefit Microsoft, and not the end-user.
2. Drivers will be a major concern for some time.
3. With IE7 and other Vista native programs, Many 3rd party programs will no longer run and it will be some time before these companies update the product. These include A/V, Firewall, and Accounting, etc programs.
4. There a currently 5 different versions of Vista and communications, security and cooperation between them are not defined and could cause network issues.
5. Workstations currently running 512 to 1024MB RAM will need to double that to maintain current productivity, not to mention Hard drive space (Vista installs up to 10GB) and CPU requirements.
6. Networking protocols removed for less support.
7. Training time to familiarize existing users and IT personnel.
8. Many end-user features, such as basic video and networking options have been hidden and are more difficult to use.
9. The touted new file formatting system could not be integrated.

In all, we see no benefit in cost, user friendliness, or productivity. Many are calling this a downgrade, and the only up side seems to be for Microsoft, computer parts manufacturers, and the Media moguls.

That being said, we will of course have to upgrade to Vista in order to maintain support and move the industry along, and put bread on my table.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Scharmers
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Next thing is, looking at the time it has taken to get FPSC 1.x really good and we're still not even close to having a stable working version"

That's the key. I'm not going to buy another broken product on release (X10) when this product (FPSC) is still broken a year after it's been out

The problem with TGC since its creation is that their development is totally scattershot...there's a ton of focus on peripheral projects (DarkAI, DarkLights, etc etc etc) when the core products STILL don't work for everyone

Lee just needs to nail down one project at a time and make sure that it works before moving on and trying to sell us another one

As for me, FPSC will be my last TGC product until/if/when it gets fixed
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
My copy of Vista is already on the way as I am a member of the Mocrosoft .net group and a beta tester for their products. BUT I am not getting it JUST for FPSC,,,as a matter of fact, FPSC doesnt even figure in in to the upgrade factor, it's more or less because the software is better in it's final form.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 22:29
Quote: ""and has features that present games don't support and won't support for a good year or two"
That is the point.
We get a jump on the Vista Gaming market. "

You seriously do believe that, don't you? Some engines are already DX10 ready, some are not, but FPSC for sure isn't the only one. I'm pretty sure that by the time Vista will be released some of the major players will also release and DX10 version of the game or game engine.

But having said that, I'm afraid you may end up with one big buggy game (engine) due to DX10 being unstable (as others have mentioned). Some game engines in FPSC's range have decided NOT to release a DX10 version within the first year. That may sound like a big advantage for FPSC X10, but the reason they've decided to wait is due to DX10 being very unstable.

Another thing you have to take into account is that Microsoft is releasing DirectX9L for Vista. It's the same as what we do have now. Strange for Microsoft to release to version of DX at the same time for the same operating system. They either don't put much faith in DX10 yet or they don't expect to many people being able to DX10 on their system.

That brings me to my last thought.... it's a quote from the developers of 3DGS A6 when asked about a 3DGS DX10 version:

Quote: "There is a lot of interest from the programming side but there are not many users set up to run such a game. Right now, you would be lucky to sell 2 copies."

And that's the bottom line even Microsoft has relealised this by releasing DX9L for Vista.

You may be able to produce cool DX10 games, but who's going to buy them? You guessed it hardly anyone.

Quote: "We get a jump on the Vista Gaming market. "

By the time FPSC X10 is finally working it will be two years later and you've lost your headstart.

Looking at FPSC and the time it took to develop and the mess it still is, I still seriously think you shouldn't buy all this X10 hype and get all exited about it. The pattern of reaching a solid FPSC v1 shows that hasn't been accomplished after over 4 years of development, so you really believe that X10 will actually be useable when released? Sorry, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that one.

So taking all of these things in consideration I don't see any reason to abandon FPSC for XP. The games will run fine under Vista, everyone can run them. DX10 is for a few elite, DX9 is for the masses. I rather sell to the masses then make a game no one will buy.

The more I'm looking into the new Vista and DX10, the more I'm starting to believe that TGC is just trying to sell me something I can't do to much with.

So, buy the time FPSC X10 has reached it's final working stage in a year or two, I'm ready to switch and nothing will have changed much. The market is still the same, FPSC X10 will still be one of many. I simply do not believe that TGC can deliver there promise. They haven't done so far, although they're trying hard.

So good luck to those of you who firmly believe in FPSC X10, I do hope your dreams come true!

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 22:53
Eventually...and you can argue the point until the cows come home and leave again...you will have to upgrade.
Whether it's this year or two years from now you will have to upgrade...everybody does.
I may be a pain in the posterior,it may be irritating and it may be moderately to fairly expensive...but you will upgrade.
It's just a fact of life.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 23:18
Quote: "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

The Borg.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 23:55 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 23:57
Quote: "Quote: "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.""

The Borg. - actually, Bill Gates

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 00:00
Quote: ""You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.""

NO! I will resist! I must resist! What's that noise? I'm feeling sleepy.... must stay awake. Resist the moise....I must go to sleep..... NO I must stay awake, I must... cannot....to tired to....I must....have to.....cannot....feeling so sleepy..... give in....resist no longer.

Yes, Master Bill, you wish is my command!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 00:22
Quote: "...Resist the moise."

So that's what Bill Gates 'Collective' are called!

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 12:20 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 12:21
I have vista Already

I was Jacko but I changed my name.
B I O M A S S
max ballwinkle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 12:23
how much is vista>?

B-A-L-L-W-I-N-K-L-E
mountain man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 13:32
I plan on getting Vista And FPSC X10. As for my computer,all hardware I just have to update drivers. I will have to get more ram.
Twisted Lincoln
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Eventually...and you can argue the point until the cows come home and leave again...you will have to upgrade.
Whether it's this year or two years from now you will have to upgrade...everybody does.
I may be a pain in the posterior,it may be irritating and it may be moderately to fairly expensive...but you will upgrade.
It's just a fact of life."

I totally disagree. I legally purchase all of my software, but I will never knowingly buy any product (such as Vista) that utilizes Product Activation or pervasive DRM.

I still use Windows 2000 on all of my PCs (including the ones I play games on), because of this reason, and have encouraged people to boycott XP since it was released.

Vista is nothing more than a first step by Microsoft toward Subscription-Based licensing. You already have to ask their "permission" before you can re-install XP or Vista. How long before an "upgrade" is slipstreamed into Windows Updates that will require periodic activation to verify you still have a legal copy? And how long after that before they simply charge you to re-activate every so many months/years, etc?

Regardless of the slippery slope issues, Product Activation puts you totally in the hands of Microsoft. Does anyone really expect them to keep the activation servers working fifteen years from now? Of course not. But I may still want to re-install my legally purchased software at that point, but will be unable to due to Product Activation. Now the likelihood of my wanting to do that is slim, but there is no reason I shouldn't have the right to do so.

Vista is an unacceptable product that treats it's customers as if they are thieves, and takes almost all freedom away from those who support it. I will never purchase it, and I probably wouldn't install it even if it was given to me for free.
MonT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 22:26
Twisted Lincoln

I completely agree with you on those points. I believe its totally unacceptable that Microsoft is putting this many restrictions into vista, and starting to do the same with XP as well.

Take the WGNA for example, it says its just getting information from your computer to find out if its a legal copy or not, but what it is really doing is messing up your computers configuration, and destroying any programs that Microsoft doesn't want on there.

This is one of the reasons that XP will be the last windows operating version I ever purchase, in fact i have already started towards Linux and even mac based os versions.

Hopefully, though futilely people wont buy this vista os version and maybe Microsoft will finally start treating its users with respect, not determining that because a few seldom people decide to steal and pirate their products that all of their users do likewise
sexy_legs
Years of Service
User Offline
This is interesting stuff, I for one am going to hang out from buying it for as long as possible. Vista is currently a small fortune to most of us, but pocket change to Gates, plus loads of my software won't work with it.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 23:26
Quote: "Eventually...and you can argue the point until the cows come home and leave again...you will have to upgrade. Whether it's this year or two years from now you will have to upgrade...everybody does."

Fred, how about you giving each person that still is using an older version then even Windows XP? You'll be broke soon. There's lot's of people who haven't even bothered to upgrade to XP, they still use Win98/Me or Win2000/NT, some even are using Win95.

We've got 5 computers at home. Our main one is the only one running WinXP. Our second one and main laptop could run WinXp easily, but they don't, they run Win2000 and they work fine. We can play about any game on them, surf the net, listen music, watch dvd's, and so on. To upgrade them to WinXP would mean buying new licenses and why should I, they run fine with Win2000. To be totally honest, they run even better with Win2000 then the main one with WinXP and often I've considered switching the main one to Win2000 also, but I need a WinXP pc for testing purposes.

The last two are some older laptops and guess what they use..... Win98se. They couldn't handle WinXP even if they wanted to do so.

I know a good number of people still running Win2000 or Win98/ME and they will continue to do so. Not everyone is interested in playing the lastest games and running the latest software. Also keep in mind that a lot of the newest software still is compatible with even Win98se and that will be so for a long time.

I'm one of the people who doesn't upgrade just because of it. If there's no added value for me I don't upgrade. If it runs fine,t hen leave it as is. My first interest in pc's isn't game design or playing the newest games, so I have no imminent interest in Vista or FPSC X10. Since running Vista and FPSC X10 will cost me a small fortune in upgrades with no guaranteed return I've lost interest completely. Why would I spent a small fortune if I already know I never will gain it back.... just because I can claim later that I was one of the first to be able to create games for Vista? Who cares, I don't?

So, no upgrade for me and no upgrade for many people.... unless TGC is kind enough to ship a new pc to me at no extra cost when buying FPSC X10. If not, X10 will be just another small fortune wasted and I've wasted enough money over the years to know that I better stick to what works fine and makes me money, then dreaming about something that will never happen.

Mark my words.... FPSC X10 will lot's of trouble and frustration when it is released? Why? X10 is far from ready to be released and yet it has to be released soon to make the claims come true. I'm 100% sure that X10 will be even more of a distaster then FPSC 1 has been for the last year. It's good for what it can do, but don't expect something seriously from it.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 01:16
Quote: "Eventually...and you can argue the point until the cows come home and leave again...you will have to upgrade."

It's true, of course. To deny it is like saying, "I will never buy a new car." Your old one will not last forever. Granted, you can continue to use your Windows 95 computer (playing solitaire) for as long as it will run and miss out on the many things that just won't work on it, but it wont last forever. And when it dies, you either buy a new computer with Vista, or you go without. The computers sold today do not support Windows 98. You can not load the Mainboard drivers and devices in Windows 98. It just won't work. Windows 2000 will soon be unsupported and is currently not sold.

Many of you still think that when you buy an operating system like Vista, that you own it. You don't. You are paying to use it in accordance with Microsoft rules.

And as for activating it every year or month for a fee, that is absolutely what is going to happen. Microsoft and other vendors are moving themselves into position for a fee based system, where you will pay a subscription fee for continued use. You'll either do it, find a way to cheat it, or stop using the computer.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 01:31
Agreed.And all computer-based products and business have to be that way.
Because if you only make one product with free upgrades for life then sooner or later your profits are going to drop because almost everyone who wanted it already bought it.
To counter that companies release newer "better" versions of the software,charge for extra content,charge for support,charge for tutorials.
Sometimes they will give you a free product as an enticement to buy another.
For instance,the company that makes Genetica gives away Wood Workshop for free (at the moment...I would get it while you can...companies can and do change their mind about giving away free stuff) so you will try Genetica.
Another example is product placement.
Pretty soon all of the commericial games will have loads and loads of it.
I can see it now...
"Halo 3...brought to you by Wisk...
When that covenant blood gives you that ring around the collar get it out...WITH WISK!"
If they use that in Halo 3 they better give me a cut.
Sooner or later 99% of us (most of us kicking and screaming and fighting every step of the way) will be using Vista.
The rest...well,like xplosys said,I hope you like solitare...or minesweeper.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 01:41
its a funny story....

i went to best buy, and i bought a laptop, and they were like "mail this in as a rebate and you get a free copy of vista"

and i was like: "awesome!"

so i guess im getting vista for free

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 01:50 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 01:51
Most vendors, myself included, are offering the free update with XP systems now. It's just an incentive to buy now instead of waiting for the release.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 02:03
Bill Gates pwns us all.
One of the days someone will have to tell me what the word "pwn" (if it is indeed a word) really means.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 02:13
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 03:00
Ah...so when I lip off to my girlfriend and she smacks me upside the head she pwns me.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 03:06
Yeah, but I don't think I would have told that one.

BadWolf2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 20:02
Quote: "Another thing you have to take into account is that Microsoft is releasing DirectX9L for Vista. It's the same as what we do have now. Strange for Microsoft to release to version of DX at the same time for the same operating system. They either don't put much faith in DX10 yet or they don't expect to many people being able to DX10 on their system."

There releasing DirectX9L for Vista as Direct x10 does not use the driver model of direct x 10. This means that Direct x10 is not compatible with older direct x games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_X

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:37:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:37:10