Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkEngine - Feedback

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 06:40
Hi Guys, how was christmas?

I'm creating this topic to have some feedback about DarkEngine. It's been five days since I released the Preview, and it's been five days that I didn't work on it (shame on me).

How is it doing? What's is missing? What sould be implemented?

One thing I noticed is that there isn't support for Windows Forms' Picture Box in it by now (shame on me again), but there could be a lot of other things missing.

Feedback IS important now because I won't be developing any game for a couple of months, then I won't be testing every single function now.

And for those wanting to know what I've been doing for five days without coding DarkEngine. A little vacation: parties, girlfriend, reading novels and... planning other plugin (yeah, there could be more coming next month)

-Thiago "k" Bessa
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 07:04
Well..... I know that its the best happend to get this DarkEngine. Everything is more easy now and now its really OOP instead of DarkBasic Pro.

Just continue the work . Maybe you should get on the payroll on TGC

If I find something, then I will let you know.

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 07:11 Edited at: 31st Dec 2006 15:50
Thanks Niels, I'm glad to have some feedback
But being on the payroll on TGC is just a dream too far away...

Is anybody else using DarkEngine?
Even if you don't have any problem, I would like to know how many people are using it, what's everyone thing about it.

This kind of feedback is important. So, post anything: "It's good", "It's the worst wrapper in the world", etc.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
Happy coding!

Thiago

PS: New plugin available! Here's the thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96701&b=22
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 15:52
KBessa when you post a link, hilite it and press the link button, and it will get wrapped in tags so it becomes clickable when you post your message. I did that above ^. You increase the chances of people visiting your links if you make it clickable

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 16:44
Thanks CR! I forgot to do it, my bad. I was too much asleep.

New plugin on the works, but this will take a long time, probably... Hehehe

Happy New Year Everyone!
Happy coding also!

Thiago
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 19:08
Well, i have the files downloaded and i looked it over briefly, but i havent had time to take a better look at it yet.

So expect a comment soon

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 18:33 Edited at: 9th Jan 2007 18:39
Ok, i ran into a problem.

Im in the process of converting some code to use DarkEngine (better sooner than later ).

In my code i use SetCameraToImage() and pasting it on a plane, but i cant find that in DarkEngine. Making a workaround seems unsafe (free IDs) and it takes up a few extra lines.

this is my workaround code (which i havent tested ):

I understand that you want to use the name Plain for backwards compatibility, but i kinda got used to the name Plane already ^^
Keep up the good work.

EDIT:
Just thought up a posible solution, ofcorse the final way you wanna do it is all up to you.
My idea is that you can make the SetCameraToImage method to return a new DarkImage object:

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 18:54
Hi James

Thanks, I will be adding this method to DarkEngine.
I'm trying to set up a simples website by this friday and will post a new version of DarkEngine with it.

Best regards,
Thiago
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 00:26 Edited at: 10th Jan 2007 00:43
Also missing is the DarkEngine alternative to oDB3D.ObjectVisible(int ID). Object.Show() and .Hide() is there, but no way to check whether its hidden or shown.

Looking forward to the update

EDIT:
Heres one more:
oDB3D.RollObjectLeft/Right()

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 00:04
Is there any difference between these?

DarkEngine myEngine = new DarkEngine();
myEngine.Sync();

and

DarkCore.Sync();

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 07:04
No, they are the same.

Actually, myEngine.Sync() was an old command that wasn't supposed to be there anymore (unfortunatelly I only noticed about 4 days after Christmas Preview).

About the Basic3D classes, please, keep me informed of any missing commands. I'm not completely aware of how much of it was implemented, as MudBug's the one behind them, but I will try to add things to it as he is a lot busy now.

Thiago
Mudbug
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 19:35 Edited at: 11th Jan 2007 19:39
Oops, Sorry
Tax season is a busy time for me since I support tax software.
I will have more time after February. Maybe sooner, it's just a wait and see game.

I am, however, reading the forums to make notes for what needs to be done. I wasn't able to finish 100% the 3D stuff, but I didn't want to omit it from the pre-release so that you could play with it. Thanks so much for trying it, and for your feedback! I will try and complete it as soon as I get more time.

Oh, one last thing. Let me take the opportunity once again to invite anyone to the participate in the project that can code in c#. If you have some free time and would like to implement some of the wrapper, just let me or KBessa know, and we can set up with access to the code repository. And you can share in the fame and glory (er, and shame for stuff that work, too <lol>!

-MudBug
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 22:45
I dont code in C# but I can test your plugins and what you are making

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:23:53
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:23:53