Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Old Segment tools

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember TGC released a tool on the forums that easily let you make your own segments and texture them and get them ready for FPSC I used it a while ago, but Can't find it anymore?

Anyone?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 21:01
It sould be on the FPSC downloads page (where you downloaded the demo from).
I would recommend that you check out Signs or Magic FPS.
Both programs allow you to custom make segments and have lite versions available so you can check them out.

glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
why, would you say those are better for making segments?
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 21:31
Because they're a lot easier to use. The segment editor on the download page was used internally be TGC and they decided to release it. Download it and look at the tutorial vids that come with it, you'll soon see what I mean

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
The old segment tool is good but it was never upgraded from beta stage and is really awkward to use.. alot of times the keys dont respond and you end up clicking over and over...the original segment tool was just never upgraded.

signs iv and magic fps are both intuative, have a ton of extra features going on with them and do not only the same thing, but more, much more.

you can wip out 20 or 30 room segments in minutes and it updates automatically to your fps directories on the fly.

where with segmant creator its alot of cut and pasting back and forth.
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 21:59 Edited at: 28th Dec 2006 22:00
ok Off topic a bit I was messing with Signs and made a room, but my wall texture looks awkward unlike the ones that come by default why is this?
I found this wall texture on a texture website just using it to test with

sorry for the white space
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
your wall textures are not seamless. you need to make the textures seamless for them to give the illusion that they blend into each other.

there is a great tool called texturemaker wich you can purchase in the store or download the free basic version that can help you with making a seamless tile version of your textures.

also...make sure your textures are 256x 256 or 512x512
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
yea, this was some insanely large texture, but the program converted it to 512x512, what is the basic principle behind "seamless" textures, how is it achieved. I have photopshop, anyways to do it with that

-will
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
you can do it in photoshop, I am not a photoshop user since its a bit out of my budget, buuuuut... there are some great tutorials on making seamless textures in photoshop that can be found on the web... as well as a free plug in or two i remember being announced a while back.

just google : Making seamless textures in photoshop tutorial
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:45
http://redfieldplugins.com/

Seamless plugin and more for photoshop.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:49
You can also use the Gimp to make your textures seamless although I do find that Texture Maker does a better job.
Although I haven't tried making a seamless texture in Photoshop it is a really good program and quite possibly the most recommended program of this type.

glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded the Texture maker trial and it confuses me I looked at the help file, and it seemed like you needed 2 textures to make a stemless one, maybe I am just confused. I will keep trying

-will
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
one thing I have learned is in this world we crave automation in everything. I think I spent years looking for quck ways to make characters, quick ways to make textures, quick way to make a car. and I wasted all that time only to find one answer wich is what I was told from the start. Practice practice practice...dont get discouraged when something doesnt look easy, cause once you get it.. it will be easy the second time around. =)

I havent used texture maker but I have heard great things from it from some pretty skilled artists.
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
well, I followed some photoshop tuts got a nice working wood texture, that other texture just did not wanna turn out.. I think because it was multicolored not a great image for a texture

here is how my wood turned out, I like it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:31:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:31:01