Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / what media do you find is never enough of?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
when scrolling down the boards looking at media I noticed there is everything from huds to crosshairs to weapon models and occasional character models.

what media do you think or feel there is never enough of?

or more specifically what would you like to see more of?

I noticed after downloading model packs and core pack 1, that I seem to have an over abundance of barrels and boxes...and never enough of standard models such as house entities or mansion entities... only very few peices of furniture.

how bout you?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 21:58
I have noticed a distinct lack of furniture.
At this time I have made a couch,a chair (with different textures so I now have 3 of each),a variety of tables,a bed and quite a few other models.
You can find some stuff like that on my site including a model pack that I made a while back.
You can also find some funiture at http://www.ozarkgames.com and there are some models at http://www.FPSfree.com.
Model packs 1-3 have some other models of this type as well.
In case you are wondering why ther is an abundance of barrels and boxes/crates those are the easiest to model.

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
I have an assortment of models a friend and I were doing for a realmcrafter project that ended defunct. I am not what you call a great modeller nor he... but here are some screenshots... with more photorealistic textures applied do you think folks would be interested in something like this?

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:27
I would definitely be interested. They look really nice!

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Note to forumers- these are not in FPSC, as you can see in the top left of screnies. Nice though!

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
no they are not in fpsc, but they can eventually be though.
I just ordered escpro.. all I would need to do is convert the models to x. format and move them over or I can work on somenew ones since these were made for another game.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:36
Hmmm, I would like to see couches, chairs, tables, stoves, microwaves, refridgerators, TVs, and the like. I might be talking about stuff that's in Model Packs 1-5, but I have only enough money to soon someday purchase FPSC, but...maybe I can get some stuff modeled??

All is gone, but your heart isn't. ~AmericanInfantry
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:47
Quote: " tables, stoves, microwaves, refridgerators"

You can find stuff like that on my site along with a VCR,a turntable,an 8 track player,etc.
I made a model pack a while back (also avialable on my site...some of this you can find in the models and media forum as well) that contained a variety of things including a blender,toaster,etc.
I do have a distinct modeling style so you might not like the way I do my texturing.That is why for most of my stuff the license allows you to retexture the models.
Everything on my site is free and you don't have to sign up for anything.
There are also denos,textures,etc. available there too.
I am not trying to plug my site for the sake of it.
I am doing it so newcomers and those who may have missed it have the opportunity to have access to free media and other things like that.
Just click on the link above my sig.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:50
OK, thanks FredP.

Oh, and by the way...why do you always use this smiley: ?

To me, it looks creepy. Like an e-heart attack. LOL, just kiddin'. But really, it makes no sense.

All is gone, but your heart isn't. ~AmericanInfantry
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:53
For my taste with the current packs available (Jon's Core pack, the original media and the official model packs and even my own medieval pack) there's more then enough furniture around.

The only media I'm really missing is characters, especailly cool creatures and bugs to shoot at.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 22:54
That question has been asked before.
The smiley is like a sig for me.
I generally end every post with it unless I am really irritated.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 10:05
I feel that there is never enough sound.

Music is released in dribs and drabs, most of it resembling simple techno melodies and fairly useless to those of us who want something orchestral.

However, at least some music has been release. I can only think of two examples of sound effect packs. This means spending hours listening to lots of royality free stuff (most of it is 11K, 12bit, mono) or extracting sound effects from other games. This restricted your license and so you can spend months making levels, cutscenes and models only for the sound effects team let them down.

AE

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 11:55
I have to agree that there is a major shortage of audio media.

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:13 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 12:14
I would have to say another thing is themed models.. such as all the things you might find in the grocery store or convenience store..

counter, register, chip rack, drink cooler, food cooler and so on.

or..what you might find in (( forgive me .. but cant resist when i think of an fps)) a post office..

mailboxes, the segment of small mailboxes.. counter, mailbags... dead mailmen...

and so on

also I have noticed there isnt much in the vehicle catagory...I know its odd and these seem like little things... but the little things tend to help so much with immersion rather then 1 desk, 1 phone, 1 chair and 1 peice of paper on the floor for the endless office or warehouse scenario.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:19
I was going to make a grocery store type model pack at one point in time but there wasn't much demand for it.
Apparantly most of the people that were interested were the "ghost" forum members (the ones who download stuff and don't ever post or say thanks,etc.) so I quit working on it.
I think the reason there aren't a lot of vehicles is because I guess since they can't drive them in FPSC they don't want to make them.
If you search around you can find a van,a Crown Victoria police car and two or three other vehicles.
I havent tried to make a car model but I might one of these days.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:24 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 12:25
Jikito (the dudette)

I have noticed in a few of your posts you seen to be implying that you're going to need ECSpro to get your models in game. I would advise you now to learn how to create entities by making FPE's yourself. If you do this it will offer you greater scope for creation than if you use a piece of 3rd party software.

You stated that you have used realmcrafter so I'm going to assume you arne't a total noob at this. Just open the entity bank and find an object with a similar FPE to the one you want, then alter the fields reading
mesh =
textured =
so that they reference the files for the model you want to get in game.

goodluck
butters

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
perhaps eventually cars can be driven..I seriously can never play an FPS without getting motion sickness, but messing around with the tools is fun.. I think the whole creativity thing is what attracts me.

but back to what i was trying to say..when doing a street scene...it would seem so empty without at least one dead beater of a car in there.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:29
If you do make the .fpe files yourself it will probably save you the time of editing them later.
For instance,a static model doesn't need a main or a disppear script as they won't be used with a static model.

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
do you find , deleting the dissapear and main script a big saver on system resources and cuts down on lag and what not?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:50
I figure if it's not necessary get rid of it.
If nothing else it will decrease your file size.
I started programming computers in the mid 80s when you were lucky to have 64K or memory so the habit dies hard.
The nice thing is the last couple of FPSC updates will delete any unused entites/segments from your level.
Another thing you might want to search for and check out is turning off physics and the effect that it can have on your FPSC games.
There are a variety of threads covering the subject so I won't bore you with it here.
There is also a thread stickied at the top of the Scripts forum about Uman's loading and unloading entities on the fly.
Good reading.

Nue B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 14:01
@ Jikito

I love all of the furniture! Personally, I would like to see more custom room textures. (walls, floors, ceiling, etc.) I've search online for stuff to buy, but I'd much rather buy from someone who owns or uses FPSC; Someone who knows what could look good in a game. Most texture packs I find for sale are "500 brick and wood Textures." And a lot of miscellaneous packs full of grass, plant, and rusted metal.. If you ever consider making a quality texture pack, let me know. If the snapshots look good, I'll buy.

Edit: I'd buy that furniture too if it's FPSC Ready!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 14:39
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 18:03
Quote: "I have to agree that there is a major shortage of audio media"

I have to disagree, aside from the stuff everyone else has made, there are like 8 tracks on my website.

Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
Butters and Fred: I will look at the FPE files today. I wasnt totally sure how that worked. when entity creator made the files it made a bin file, a dbo file, a thumbnail... im not all sure whats needed and whats not.

Nue B. Thanks for the encouragement.. for now ill make free tidbits here and there. once I get this fpsc ready thing down ill convert some of the models in above pics to fpsc.

FredP again: I have been scouring through all the tutorials i can find, from transparencies. the fpsc tips and tricks guide, and Umans tutorial on turning physics off.

before i started anything I went to the tutorial city and media sticky. matter of fact I keep my laptop popped open and a tutorial on screen working step by step as I go. I believe there is only one tutorial I dont quite get. thats the scripting one.. but ill keep at it. coding, scripting in general makes my eyes water...I can barely write an "incomming!" macro on my berserker in eq.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 21:42
@Jikito

Quote: "I wasnt totally sure how that worked. when entity creator made the files it made a bin file, a dbo file, a thumbnail... im not all sure whats needed and whats not.
"

You don't need the .dbo or .bin. They are created by FPSC on each run.

Check my site for another tut on scripting. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the cool models.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 21:42
Quote: "before i started anything I went to the tutorial city and media sticky"

Are you trying to give me a heart attack?
Finally,somebody read the stuff...you have made me happy.
.bin and .dbo files are not necessary.FPSC will create those the first time you use the entity in your game.
When you make adjustments to the .fpe file (the most common being an adjustment in the scale or changing the name of a texture) be sure to delete the .bin and .dbo files so that FPSC sees the changes.
There are a wide variety of tutorials in the FPSC forums (another place to check the is the sticky "Everything you always wanted to know about scripting" at the top of the Scripts forum) made by forum members that were generous enough to donate their time and knowledge to help the FPSC communtity.
It is good to see someone taking advantage of these opportunities.

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
Search is my best friend.

I have a demo of the first level I have been working on over in showcase. that entire level was done by following tutorials, such as trigger spawns and such. sadly there seems to be some bugs that may be part of the RC 8 and 9 I was using to build them.

Nother project ahead of me to get back to...eventually.
TZap
Years of Service
User Offline
Not enough Monsters and fantasy (non-human characters). Any chance the next model pack can include these? Most fps games have Monsters...not the same without them!

Developing a tomb/egyptian/raiders lost ark type game...lack of these characters makes it a bit off a letdown in atmosphere but will do my best!
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 17:17
Now, I'd like to see a more "modern" look, if you will.

Y'know, with cars, buses, subways, houses, apartments, etc.

But, I'd also like to see an outdoor terrain thing in the next update. Also, more weapons in the generic style, like:

9mm pistols
M60's
AK-47's
MP5's
Hunting rifles (awww yeah!)

But, most of those without the model packs. Since I may buy FPSC very soon, dunno when, but....

I'd like to see lasers, heat-seeking things, and rail cannons in the scifi.

Pretty much, those...and furniture!!!!

Automatic: Biological Warfare

Comin' soon, maybe in Jan./Feb. 2007!
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 17:55
Quote: "I started programming computers in the mid 80s when you were lucky to have 64K"

commodore 64 eh...... gees your old.... almost as old as I am
Now I know you remember people shelling out almost 1500 bucks for a 286 at 33mhz machine that had a whopping 10 to 25 meg harddrive and look out 4 whole megs of ram..... Can you believe we actually sat down and keyed away on machines like these back in the day....

Now my son's ipod holds more memory then what those machines do...

Quote: "I have to agree that there is a major shortage of audio media."

FredP I get to pick on you today I guess I might of gotten the perfect christmas gift now I havent played with it but once so far but I can build audio loops now with my new frootloops studio program my son got me... until I get the hang of it I wont take request. But it all looks pretty simple and when I do work things out I drop several sound loops in the forum for everybody....

Quote: "Not enough Monsters and fantasy (non-human characters). "

I so agree with this... Considering FPSC isnt totally geared to a multiplayer platform your kinda forced to build campaign style games...
But also NPC style characters are also needed the ones you wont see carrying weapons... Bonds pack has some and there great models but they are geared towards modern day.

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 20:58
Quote: "Also, more weapons in the generic style, like:

9mm pistols
M60's
AK-47's
MP5's
Hunting rifles (awww yeah!)"

No, please, with Model Pack 6 coming soon we have more then enough modern weapons by then.

Quote: "I started programming computers in the mid 80s when you were lucky to have 64K or memory so the habit dies hard."

I started the beginning of the 80's and my first was a commodore 16 the one before the C64... so 16k of memory, go figure

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 22:19
My Atari 800XL...it said 64K but 16K was devoted to the system so really it was 48K.
The very first computer I got was an TRS-80 MC10 Micro Color Computer.
It had 3K of RAM but there was an option to hook a 16K RAM expansion pack in the back...and I had to use a cassette player to save stuff on tapes.
Wish I still had that Atari...I loved that computer.

As far as media goes,we don't have any silverware.

TZap
Years of Service
User Offline
Agree with comment about weapons...I think there are plenty now! Creatures needed, do not have to be that perfect models...look what Doom achieved...scary as hell their monsters and over 10 years ago.
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
since we are talking about age and relating them to computers...

LOL.. ill give you a hint then.

for my 13th birthday I got a commadore Vic 20 as my first commputer ever.

for my 18th birthday I got an 8088

when I was 19 I upgraded to 286... and thought I was rocking with EGA graphics.. I wanted the 20 meg hard drive but the person in store convinced my uncle that I would never use more then 10 megs in a lifetime.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 02:04
how young I feel all of a sudden keep it up guys (& gals)...makes me feel good
by my 19th birthday, I was using a P2 350 MHz....

as for the want of media, I guess I miss more of entities and segments. Would be good to have non-boxy rooms in games. Also, entities look so good in games, but I guess it all comes down to the trade-off between looks and framerates.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Jikito, your models, are great. The bar is my favourite, perfect for the style of game I'm making.
Nue B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 01:42
Quote: "once I get this fpsc ready thing down ill convert some of the models in above pics to fpsc. "

If you want any help with making some models FPSC Ready, I can help you Jikito... I have the Entity maker program, and the 3Ds-To-.X Converter Program. I used both a lot so I can have your models FPSC Read in no time and in an Installer too! If your interested let me know. Blaqueboi@sbcglobal.net

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
I can get them into fpsc now.. now just need to find the models on the harddrive somewhere...

*sigh* I ordered the entity creation system two days ago.. went to go order the weapon system and the website was down.. as in no website period for esc pro (( says domain is not configured)) =/ ohh well.. hope the guy gets back.. would love that little proggy...

thanks to fred P and butter's though I learned out to modify my own .FPE files.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 06:29
Bullshock runs that site.
Send him an e-mail.
I am sure he will take care of it.

Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 06:43 Edited at: 1st Jan 2007 06:47
im laughing.. cause its my luck.. everytime I whip out my CC the site i wanna order from crashs.... safeyway.com went down on me for 3 days once.

anyways, how do folks feel about execution equipment...and medevil nasties? such as guillatine, stocks, hangmans platform....
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 17:30
Quote: "how do folks feel about execution equipment...and medevil nasties? such as guillatine, stocks, hangmans platform.... "

Girl, you sure know how to talk to a guy. lol

Happy New Year!

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 18:45
Quote: "Quote: "I have to agree that there is a major shortage of audio media"

I have to disagree, aside from the stuff everyone else has made, there are like 8 tracks on my website."

Yes but i'm not talking about music. Every man and his wife can download some free program to make music but i was refering to sound effects. Where are they?

Plus, most of the music is really limited in genre. Basically, it all sounds fake. Why? because it is. I don't want some synthesised music looping in my game, it makes it lose credibility.

I know it's difficult for people to get an orchestral sound, but i'm suprized that to date no one on this forum has. This is the music that appeals.

Sound effects on the other hand are practically none existant. People offer themselves as voice artists...thats about it. Where is an alternative to that annoy footstep-on-metal sound? Where are the realistic gun sound effects?

Its a real pity that they don't exist...
[/rant]
sorry to all those who thinks i'm being big-headed,
AE

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Shops are a great idea, the more the better. The stock just needs to be a few flat images of items on shelves mixed with a few high quality 3d items. Anything like this would be a great help.
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 22:17
I think certain characters that most people would use and are severly lacking, modern army characters, terrorists, swat police etc

Cherd Design est. 1998
sexy_legs
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to see another girl on here, I was starting to think I was the only one and you are making such good stuff. Go girl you are a star. x x
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
sexy_legs: thanks for the encouragement. us girls gotta stick together *winks*

I guess I started this thread after sitting down and sometimes experiencing a brain explosion as what to make... cleaned up a bit this thread could be a good starting point for artists and musicians for ideas.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:26:32
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:26:32