Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / sparkys vs. nuclear glory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:42
Which is better sparkys collision or nuclear glory, and why? I've been playing with sparkys and it seems pretty good. Is NG better?

Thanks!!

D
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 05:54
Sparky's is a great plugin. It's fast and acurate.

I use NGC for all of my projects though, for actual ellip sliding collision instead of just sphere and I love the feedback and grouping systems it has.

In the end it's up to what you want. NGC is $25 and Sparky's is free.

If you have CShop, here is an open source engine you can use/ look at. It may help get an idea of how NGC works.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 09:55
I've used NGC a lot in the past. Honestly, I've completely dropped support for it now.

I was using it in Geisha House. The ellipsoid collisions are nice. However, there are some huge negatives that this engine presents.

First of all, it adds several hundred lines of code to your project. That isn't exactly a problem, except that it isn't as fast as a real plugin. Sparky's is a real plugin, not a DLL accessed through code.

The worst thing, in my opinion, is that collision ellipses in NGC can't rotate. When using a secondary collision engine with DarkPhysics, this is necessary. With Sparky's, I get accurate collisions as the physics bodies rotate and tumble around.

Sparky's is faster. Also, NGC doesn't support box collisions. Sparky's does, and they're way faster than ellipses.

The bottom line is that I completely replaced NGC with Sparky's in Geisha House, and the collision results are exactly the same, except faster. At one point I added 400 plain objects to the NGC collision system, and it reduced my framerate to 2. I did the same thing with Sparky's box collisions, and it didn't reduce my framerate at all.

I almost always go for the product you pay for, but Sparky's V2 is simply better. Faster, easier to use, and a true DBP plugin.

Come see the WIP!
Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 02:33
thanks for the input lost in thought and cash curtis. At this point the argument for Sparky's wins out, and since I already have it, I'll learn how to use it
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 07:47
Version 2 is a complete collision system. It's good enough that it deserves to be paid for

Come see the WIP!
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 18:46 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 21:58
I have an a pencil-like object that moves and rotates.

I bought NGC 3 with confirmation that it would do this task. We now know that NGC3 was sold totally broke. With a promise that a free NGC would fix all the problems. A year and a half later NCG was finally updated but the one feature I bought it for was not fixed yet!!!!

OK it is now almost 2 years and the feature I bought NCG for is still not working.

*update*
If I had a pencil like object that needed rotated, how would Sparky's collision handle that? Can it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:32:57