Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkEmReL - A Embedded Resource Loader for DarkEngine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 06:50
Hi guys, how are you?

Well, the year has come to an end, a new one is coming, so I thought: "Hm... New Year, New Plugin. GREAT!" Hehehe. That's why I'm making this release, the first plugin for DarkEngine!

Before someone asks, I have to clarify one thing: This is not a "real" embedded resource loader as we would expect from a .NET application.
What it does is: Extract the resource to a temp file, load it into a DarkEngine's Object then it deletes the file (as the real object is already in memory). That's being done because of a limitation of DGDK, as it only accepts files, but not streams, and neither me nor Paul will be able to do anything about it.

The file includes the plugin and a sample (again, it's the Camera Example, but it was converted to make use of DarkEngine and DarkEmReL).

So, enjoy it!
And a happy new year to everyone!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 07:03
Oh, sorry. I forgot to tell something important!

This is a plugin for DarkEngine, so it is an obligation that you use DarkEngine in your project.

I'm doing this because I don't know how many of you guys are using DarkEngine, but I know most people didn't try it at all, or at least is what I think. Niels is the only one I'm sure is using it. (Thanks dude).

Anyway, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't make any plugins for "pure" DGDK.NET, I just didn't bother now, but if someone wants, I will release a version of this plugin for "pure" DGDK.NET, no DarkEngine required at all. Just ask me and I will do it as soon as possible.

Thanks to everyone out there using DarkEngine (and now DarkEmReL).
Happy Coding!

-Thiago
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 23:22
You welcome.. Its so wunderfull that I can see progress with it.

I have just downloaded your plugin and will try it later. I have a moveable harddisk with my game on, so I can work at it on work or home ... I hope it will be good...

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 23:26
Have just opended your sample.... I didnt know THAT was possible in NET... its amazing.

My plan was to pack the media in a file and unpack it but this is just perfect

Thanks again kBessa.... if I could afford it I would put YOU on payroll in my company ))

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 10:35
This looks interresting. I was actually gonna ask for a simple function to do something like this

I have one question tho, wouldnt it be possible to load directly to memblocks instead of saving to a tempoary file?

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:14
That should be possible, as IanM posted a code for DGDK (C++ version) that would load a Bitmap to MemBlocks. I tried to re-code it in C# but the bitmap was always broken.

I tried to make it work sometimes but then I thought about something: The plugin would be limited to images that way.

So, the way I chose (unpacking to temp dir) would allow any kind of files to be used.
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 00:23 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 00:35
Quote: "The plugin would be limited to images that way"

Didnt think of that

Anyways, if i had some media i would to have protected the best, i could just make something like that myself, for anything else, theres yours (and Mudbug's) nice plugins.

Im making a game that was posted somewhere on these forums looooong time ago... back when i was using DBP.
It started as a simple, yet addictive game by AnalSauceMonkey.

I have the basics running in DGDK now and i got a nearly perfect level editor.

My plan is to convert the code to use your DarkEngine and now EmReL for internal levels.

Expect screenshots up soon.

Edit: Oh i just happened to dig up the original thread
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=1514&b=11

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 01:05 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 01:26
Glad to know that, James Bondo. I'm hopping to see what you will acomplished with DarkEngine. That's just great news.

EDIT: I've just read the other thread. What are you doing? A game like that but with lots of levels? Oh my, that's just an addictive game. I hope to see something like that so I can play like crazy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:14:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:14:09