Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Preview Video of FPS Creator X10

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 16:20 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2007 16:28
Hi all, 2007 starts with a cool video of our latest technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BqbBPJmKws

The quality is not perfect, we only had time to record using a camera pointing at the Windows Vista monitor but I am sure you will get the idea and see actual DX10 code running!!!

So to be very clear, this is:

FPS Creator X10 work-in-progress, running on:
* Windows Vista
* DX10 native
* GeForce 8800 card (only DX10 card available)
* Running beta drivers and beta DX10 (so could be faster soon)

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 16:57
Nice, very cool.... now get back to working on current version, so I can finish my game and win one of those supercomputers in the TGC/nVidia competition and be able to run Vista and X10

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Mickm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:01
Looking great!
What are the other spec of the computer running the demo?

Quote: "now get back to working on current version, so I can finish my game and win one of those supercomputers in the TGC/nVidia competition and be able to run Vista and X10"

I hear that!

http://www.gamestack.org
http://onlinenotes.gamestack.org
http://onlinebookmarks.gamestack.org
Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:04
wow that was cool.

The one and only Davy B
Samoz83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:08
looks lovely, can't wait!

SaM
www.firelightstudio.co.uk
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:09
Very Nice! I look forward to the release...

Regards,
RF

Reality Forgotten Dev Forums
In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked.
Seeting
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:29
DB Pro X10 is also going to be available on DX10 cards?

Syntax Entertainment
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 17:32
Just posted this about DBPro X10, it's not pretty but it will give you some insights into what's coming later in the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kgpYygQgE

Before you ask, there's no release date and no price. Attention on this will switch when we get FPSC X10 done.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 18:21 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2007 18:22
very nice video, the only thing i noticed was the specular shine on Aiko was a bit overdone, there is specular mapping right? or just on and off?

over than that, really cool, more 'next gen' looking than i thought

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 18:54 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2007 18:55
Wow, makes me want to go out and get an 8800 now! Jon, I'm almost posivitve there is a texture map controlling the spec, rather than just on or off. Probably done a little over-the-top just for the sake of the video though.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 19:28
So far everything looks good; it's taking a long time on dial-up though.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 19:46
Those are some very nice results!

Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 21:19
*Jaw-drops at nxt-gen lokingness* Can't wait. But that means a new PC, windows vista and a load of other expensive things doesn't it.

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 22:03
Does this work as an upgrade for the current FPSC or do you have to buy it seperately

Cherd Design est. 1998
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 23:19
wow, that was neat.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 00:42
Quote: "Does this work as an upgrade for the current FPSC or do you have to buy it seperately"

OMG! There has been like a THOUSAND posts on DX10. This is why it is called DX10, because it's directX 10. Which means it only runs on VISTA. Which is a completely different computer than what you're prob using right now. Most likely your using XP. You will have to spend like a 1000 dollars to get DX10. Unless you already have Vista.

So to answer you question. No it does not work as an upgrade and yes you will have to buy it.

The video looks awesome. The only thing I couldn't help but notice was the water animation. I didn't finish the video and I'm not sure if the speed of the ripples was discussed. But the ripples moved way to fast. Before the aiko even took a full step there was like 3 ripples. But I'm still going to buy this. Gonna get a better job, make some dough and buy it. Because it is that awesome.

Tiggle Bitties

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 20:31
wow amazing!

just one question, when you run all the copys of the charachter at once; apart from size and texture, can you give them all differnt scripts aswell? or would you have to make a new entity for that?

Tyrano

gw:tyrano man-lvl 20 E/Mo
tyrano man kill-Lvl 8 W/Mo
rs:tyrano man 2-lvl 68
the programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
facinating technoligy, although i do have some quistions for RickV.

In the seen where there was 100 charectors i noticed there was no speed issue although there were porbebly several hundred polys.
Is this speed issue resolved becuase of dx10 and the 8800GTX or was is solved by the programming of fpsc?

Can i also create waterfall effects or is it much to early to be thinking about that in x10?

Will the scripting languege be drastically ulterd or will it remain the same?

And will there be anymore updates for DX9 versions of fpsc, or will it completly be DX10 only updates.

cheers looks wonderfull
the programmer
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 01:09
Quote: "And will there be anymore updates for DX9 versions of fpsc, or will it completly be DX10 only updates. "

TGC is still working with us XP users. So they I believe they will still make updates for dx9. Actually I know they will because the past like 5 updates haven't gone over so well.

Well I guess I'm getting a new job. Because I really want this.

Tiggle Bitties

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 17:42
@ the programmer: The speed is all down to Lee's coding, DX10 and the 8800! A great combination. Instancing is just blindingly fast and the fact that a 8800 has 128 pixel pipelines really helps. These new PCs are simply awesome beasts.

We will continue to make sure XP and X10 users see upgrades to the main product (eg, we have just added a new lightmapper to FPSC).

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 19:03
As Rick said (as well as Lee on several occassions), TGC will be supporting both XPS and DX10 version of FPSCreator. I believe it is Lee's intention of making the current version of FPSCreator as stable as possible, before turning to FPSCX10 full-time.

As far as content goes, I know I plan on putting out a few packs myself; which will still support the current FPSC (as I am still learning specular and normal mapping, shader work, etc.).

-Keith

Crazy andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 03:09
So, a NEW versiion of pro eh! sounds good to me, Hopefully we will see some big proformance increase in areas.

As for vista and new graphic card, needed for X10. Okay with me, as i had to replace my motherboard and Psu (after my psu went bang). At moment i have an ati but been wanting to switch back to nvidia for soem time.

At moment, trying to get my programming skill up (just order Vol 2 of DB Pro ) and gonna try and get my idea past expermental stage.

Anyway, Good Luck with all of it

To try this, I've got to be nuts!!!
Seerzack
Years of Service
User Offline
WOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool would it be able to play in windows to?

/seerzack
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 09:58 Edited at: 6th Jan 2007 09:59
Quote: "The speed is all down to Lee's coding, DX10 and the 8800! A great combination."

DX 10 and 8800 may be a great combination, but I've lost faith in Lee's coding by now. Sorry to say so. FPSC is cool, but I'm not taking it serious anymore after using it over a year and still now being able to do what I would like (which isn't even that much). Compared to FPSC V1, I can do much less with FPSC now, so I've lost faith in Lee's coding. He sure adds to FPSC a lot, but he still hasn't tuly solved the speed and loading time issues at all. He tried gimmicks, but those didn't really work, so now we're more or less recommended to use a faster system then before. That's a work around, not a real solution.

As for DX10.... well Microsoft reverting to DX9 for Vista also, doesn't give me much trust either.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Seerzack
Years of Service
User Offline
ok I have under stand that you only can run this program on vista.
but would it cost any money to get the fps creator x10 if you already
haved pay for the fps creator. And would i be eable to have the model
packs on the fpsc x10?

/seerzack
BadWolf2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 22:56
Quote: "And would i be eable to have the model
packs on the fpsc x10?"

I would assume that you would be able too as the models in FPSC use the .x format which is the default format for direct x.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 18:02
Quote: "But that means a new PC, windows vista and a load of other expensive things doesn't it."

Hahaha! Not for me, my school has these great deals with Mmicrosoft, which means that any student can get Vista for FREE!! LolololooOL! I just found that out yesterday, my computer teacher told everyone in our class, and we were all about to pass out with shock. Lol, we were just staring at him, then someone goes, "wait, your joking right?!" But thats the thing about a serious professor, they never joke
-Sunflash

P.S. But I guess I still have to buy a graphics card. Hmmm, I think I'll go look at some prices for an 8800.

"I must tell the Queen that a robin has seen Cludd hanging about. No, thats not right. I must tell the robin that Cludd has been hanging the Queen..." -Mossflower.
m man
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really cool
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 17:04
Some of those effects look amazing. Got to love Lee's accent too!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 17:49
You are going to have to pay for FPSCx10.
While it would be nice if it were free (I'd be one happy man) from a strctly business point of view that is not an option.
It would be REALLY NICE if current FPSC users did get some kind of deal or discount when upgrading to the next FPSC....hint,hint.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 03:54
So, rick. When do we get to play with X10??? That would defenetly re-interest me in game Dev.
zniper monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 20:25
Nice! Can't wait. That's almost on par with what I'm dong on my Xbox 360! Does this mean we'll need Windows Vista and the 8800 video card? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm a noob and proud of it!!! GRRRR!!!
Agent766
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 02:20
Lol. I'll probably be waiting a while. My own computer is a Win 98 SE. I would really need to save up for let's see... maybe 10 years? By then there'll be a new system out! Then I'll have to wait even longer, but that's the cycle of things.

There are 3 kinds of people: Ones who can count, and ones who can't.

Did you know five out of four people have trouble with fractions?
Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 03:31
yea, can any of those 100 aiko's do something on their own? Are they even meant to be shot at individually?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Origin
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah they can! because the new instancing method allows an array of i.e. aiko's to have individual animations, sizes, textures, positions and attributes..! It worked for me when I made a test with DXSDK!

DX10 is beautiful!

Enjoy the fruit of knowledge!
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 22:39 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 22:45
If that is Rick answering questions, I knew he was from around my parts - Broad accent!

Edit: Just heard the interviewer say "What about this, Lee?"

As for FPSC X10; I think I peed a little bit... Haha just kidding () but it looks awesome.
You guys should be very proud, and im sure you are. The only thing I might pick at is the glass... Im not sure if it's the quality screwing it up, but the glass effect, in my opinion, isnt too realistic Of course its still useable, but I just dont feel its the same quality as the other features. (Not looking to be flamed for that )
Fantastic work, and I look forward to seeing more updates!

Yours,
Dan

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 23:17
I'm asking the Questions Smitho!

The glass has changed since we made that video - in fact the whole demo has been changed. Watch out for V2 very soon!!!!

Financial Director
TGC Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 03:25:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 03:25:15