Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / A small thank you to the community

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 19:55
I thought being that DGDK.NET has been on the go since last Novemeber, I'd just post a thank you to all those who have bought and taken a great deal of interest in the product, and the feedback and support you have provided since it's launch.

I'd specially like to say thank you to both kBessa and MudBug for their work on the DarkEngine class encapsulation for the DGDK.NET interface. This will definately prove a worthy advantage to a coders efforts in creating top quality applications with .NET.

There are alot of plans in motion for DGDK.NET, starting in this new year, so keep your eyes pealed for new announcements as they occur. Again, thanks for all your support people, I appreciate that more samples and improved documentation is needed, so I'll do my best to forfill this void. With your support and feedback, DGDK.NET will become a powerful and attractive product for all your coding requirements.

Many thanks,

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 22:08
Thanks Paul!

For me, it's an honor to develop plugins for such a great engine like DGDK.NET. And I'm already developing more (DarkEmReL was released, DarkEngine is being revised, and there may be more to come).

I've always loved the ease of DBPro, but being a C# developer for almost 4 years, I couldn't stand programming in Basic and the lack of OOP. Also, I've never liked C++, so I never bothered buiyng DGDK (Dark Game SDK).

DGDK.NET was a dream come true, I could finally use the engine I loved so much (DBPro) with C#. So, I think we are the ones who sould say: "Thank you Paul"!

But now you're getting me frustated. What are to come to DGDK.NET? Can't wait for the announcements (although I will have to).

Thanks again!

Thiago
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2007 22:27
Hi Paul

Thanks for all the hard work you did place in this new product that I love and like kBessa I come from a VB.net environment and did like the ease of use of DBPro but did find that it did lack the OOP that I use every day.

So it should not be you that thanks use for buying the GDK.Net but us that you did take all this time to make it a reality.

Hope one day to see a section reserved for the GDK.Net in the news letter and will keep looking for the new development that you did talk about.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 10:52
Hi all

Thanks for the work you are doing. I have been waiting for some interesting to make my game in.

I didnt like DBPro because I couldnt use OOP and the lack of networking.

Its so wunderful to be able to use the language Im using daily for making my game.. (VB.NET)

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
lwatson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 14:32
Actually it is I who is thankful for finally having a simple abstraction onto DirectX that meshes well with my application development paradigm. I don't write games but this toolkit designed for game creators has a life on the other side of software development (Applications/Utilities). Having bought DBPro some years ago for experimentation in that vein and long since shelving it as ill equipped for my mundane tasks, I was pleasantly surprised by the release of DGDK.Net and have not regretted my purchase one bit.

Thank you for a wonderful product and I look forward to the good things to come....

Lonnie Allen Watson
rmag.blogspot.com (blog)
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 15:24
Wow, many many thanks for all your comments people, it's very much appreciated. I will state that due credit goes to TGC for creating the engine to begin with, I've merely created the porthole for .NET users to take advantage of this engine, and at the end of the day, it is the engine we're all using. Again, cheers!

Paul.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 17:44
<Cheeky_Yet_True_Statements>

I would like to give a big thanks to: my stubborness

Yes, its true. Without which I doubt the dgdk.net would currently exist. What do I mean? Long story short, I was fed up with DBP long ago (2 years), and stopped using it (more with the lack of oop and a decent ide, as opposed to the engine). Anyway, the mantra became "If theres a c++/lib sdk, there's gotta be a way to use it or port it for .net". I knew this would require a good programmer with a full C++ skillset (/me eyes Apexnow). I began the dailly cattle-prodding of said programmer. "C'mon man, theres gotta be a way" "c'mon". Then we'd have brief explorations, then they would be deemed not viable, etc etc, then I'd go off and tinker with some .NET alternatives - until one day, said programmer figured out a viable solution. Me danced. Work began. Me tested. We tested. We tested some more - BOOM! Viable dgdk.net toolkit born. Had some input in other aspects of the kit as well (lots of suggestions and ideas that were adopted into the final product).

Anyway, I am in no way trying to take any credit per se, all the credit goes to Apexnow & TGC. But I can tell you, and any of you that have been around since 2003 will know, I have been relentless in my hemming and hawing about .NET support, or lack thereof, since day one, and its due to my refusal to use DBP proper, or switch to an underdeveloped alternate engine, or learn DX programming, is probably why we have the awesome DGDK.NET at this juncture. Stubborness (and maybe laziness too) has payed off, but it was only predicated on the fact that a c++/lib version already existed, and it really pissed me off that there was no direct .NET port from TGC themselves. Either way, thats in the past, and we have one now!

</Cheeky_Yet_True_Statements>

Hats off to Paul!!! Congrats on this mate. And I can't wait to see those unmentionable upcoming things we discussed

Cheers

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't bought the .Net version yet, but my hat's off to Paul and CR for the work they did onit!

I have vague plans for World Domination
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 00:20
Quote: "I haven't bought the .Net version yet"

</gasp> And why not??

I'm joking of course,

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 01:38 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 01:40

Seriously though, you probably know why Paul: It does pain me that I haven't chipped in to reward you for your worthy effort, but I did make a point of waiting for the (normal) GDK update prior to buying the .Net version.

Furthermore, Rick Venner _has_ confirmed to me in December that a competitive upgrade for normal GDK owners will be put in place after all - so I'm waiting for news on that too.

In the meantime, since money was burning a hole in my pocket I went ahead and purchased Dark AI and Dark Physics. I'm pretty sure that I'll never get my money's worth out of it as long as it's DBPro only, but I am very hopeful that they will be ported over to the GDK/GDK.Net sometime... (fingers firmly crossed)

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 02:55
/me slides over next to Miguel and begins to whisper sweet nothings in his ear...

(shhh, there there, don't tell anyone, but,...)

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 03:25

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 10:29 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 10:29
<bated_breath>
Do you two mean that... they are actually... for real... one of the plugins... maybe the two of them? (hyperventilating - which is quite hard when you're bating your breath)
</bated_breath>

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 13:42

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 13:04
Quote: "</gasp> And why not??"

Could be for the same reason I am waiting ... for the next update to the DGDK to fix the many bugs in it. I'm still betting on 1st to mid Feb for the update. Then I am going to buy the .net version

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:55:54
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:55:54