Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A startling discovery in FPSC: Collision Detection goodness

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I decided to model a bit and I imported several big models in my game, http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96881&b=25 now I tested the game and found FPSC not only to love, but to care for my 3d models such as a giant staircase it works out the collisions perfectly, as you can walk up it. Ramps, it adores with a firey passion as I created an entire level in milkshape and imported it in to FPSC, which with a test game had me sobbing with joy. I made an oath to myself... No more segments. Why? Because the FPSC segments are the cause of the fps drop for me. No my computer isn't from the stone age, but when you consider test games with the hanger bay large itself having 8000 polys from the get go.... It makes me happy to be able to design a whole level in milkshape, like the one attached screeny, that has a little over 680 polys and my frame rate 90% of the timer is over 32 (unheard of on my pc for FPSC) And I can do what ever I want! Add ramps, stairs all in milkshape! FPSC delievers the love for these and I don't have to sacrefice 7000 or so polys. Simply Amazing... What ever voodoo you are working in FPSC Lee, you are seriously cooking with butane...

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 07:21
Quick question how did you do it?If you have some thing useful to add please do so here.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96320&b=24
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
It's simple, just export it from milkshape with JT Export and then create it as a static entity, turn off physics and set spawn to the nogravity one. See the attached pic of a whole arena level

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 09:39
Good luck with this! After reading your post, I do find it hard to believe that segments do cause a huge fps drop for you and static entities aren't, since they're treated the same way in the engine. Sound more like you're using your segment in a not so efficient way or you're building your levels completely incorrect.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you will find the same problems as all of us who have created large model entities,mainly no collision for enemies.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually it works fine, and Benjamin if you load up hanger large, you will see 8k poly count. I designed a whole level with my entities, adding up to under 3k. I would like to stress the fact that my computer is nothing bu a generic laptop.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 10:58 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 12:41
What kind of enemies are you using,are they custom? I would be interested in hearing how you have achieved it.
I only ever tested with stock.
I can relate to there being fewer poly's.Large entities do not bump the polycount as much as a lot of segments can.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 16:37
After some testing with this theory, I have found that the collision problem is still there. I think doing as urlforce has described to me (remodeling until it works) may help the situation.

regards,
RF

Reality Forgotten Dev Forums
In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 18:55 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 18:58
I'm sorry RF i'm still not getting it,remodeling how? Or is this something that has happened with one of the new updates.Or is it milkshape that helping here?Would it be possible to see a video or screens of stock characters within the level please.
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 19:32
I too have constructed entire levels with 1 static entity. I used DeleD to create a level and export it out with textures. It looked absolutely great but when I incorporated enemies into the game they simply fell through the floor. That’s when I realized it wasn't going to work out after all. Made me mad too. It seemed a perfect alternative to not having to build a level out of boxes and get some organic look to it. However I haven't tried it since the release candidate updates. Maybe something changed to allow enemy collision now.

Lon

[url=http://webpages.charter.net/lflicking/]
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I will get a screenshot right now.
What exporter are you guys using. I am using jt's in milkshape and having it under "DX retained mode"

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 22:50
Url, please tell me your enemies dont fall through or get stuck. Pleaseeeeee!

This will open up completely new realms to making worlds!!

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 23:06
I'm curious to that as well. Player collision isn't the main issue at all. I've made large entities which do collide perfectly well with the player, but NOT with the enemies.

Quote: "However I haven't tried it since the release candidate updates. Maybe something changed to allow enemy collision now."

Not as far as I'm aware of, my enemies still don't colide well with other entities.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:37:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:37:33