Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Buying FPS - Some questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 06:01
I'm going to buy FPS Creator for my kid.

I've noticed on the main page that you can buy FPS Creator for $50.. US. But then I've noticed that there are these other packs out there. I've also seen people on here asking which packs are the best to buy.

So, my question is: if I buy FPS Creator - what do I get? Do I also need to buy certain packs to go along with it? When you buy FPS Creator - you don't get all the stuff in the additional packs?

Any information anyone could provide would be great. I just want to make sure I get everything my son would need to allow him to make his games.

Thx.

Yeah, yeah... I know... you eat n00bs for breakfast.
-- Me
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 08:40 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 08:41
Hi conmon. I'll help you out. When you buy fps creator you get a load of already made 3d objects. The objects are split into two parts (technically 4 parts, but you will see what I mean as I say 2). "entities" and "segments" Are the 2 parts. Now segments is mainly just floors, walls, ceilings, etc. entities are typically your characters, (already animated for you) gun pick ups, crates, poles. Basically anything besides floors and walls. Now when you buy the full version it comes with a TON of already objects, like I said before. The objects aren't really that amazing, but still good enough to make a game. Now the model packs just give much, much, much better quality models. Like I'll use model pack 5 for instance. Model pack 5 has amazing guns with hands. I say with hands because the already given guns that come with FPSC have no hands and look pretty silly. Buying the model packs is not mandatory. But it is very important.

I hope this helped you out.

Tiggle Bitties

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 09:20 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 09:22
Welcome conmon

Take a look at this game created with FPSC: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96722&b=25, it should give you some idea how good FPSC is.

When I bought FPSC, I also ordered packs 2 - 5 (downloaded online, they don't come on disk). When I went to download them, I noticed pack 1 was also available to download, even though I didn't order it! I'm not sure if pack 1 comes with FPSC anyway.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 12:11 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 12:15
Pack 1 doesn't come with FPSC,its very cool if you want to make games with SWAT,SAS and those things.

FPSC contains 2 packs that come with it,not additional optional packs you must buy.but 2 simple ones to let you be on the way in game making:

-WW2
-Sci-Fi

both contain about 400 Objects.

so 800 objects to make a game sounds nice for a piece of software of $50 doesn't it?

The additional Packs(of wich i own pack 3) are just if you want more,but cant make it.also more packs made by the community are there for sale,or free.

And if you dont like importing it yourself your home-made stuff.there are many applications that will do it for you.

even now by a system made by me,you can have 5 multilayer maps of FPSC V1 in 1 .exe.and well,many other apps are there to make life easyer with FPSC.

So its definetly worth buying,and because of the commnunity,its worth even more!

...No Signature here...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 15:16 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 15:18
There are also a lot of free models that you can find in the models and media forum,http://www.ozarkgames.com,
http://www.FPSFree.com and on my site below (check out my sig).

An application you will also want to check out is Signs IV at http://www.fpsconline.com.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 15:18
How stupid,i didnt put in any links...

...No Signature here...
conmon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 21:00
Hey... thanks for all the input.

I've seen there are a couple of threads out here regarding something like "If you had to choose two packs ..." - so I'll figure out what else he might want.

It sounds like the tools that come with FPSC allow for World War II type games and SciFi games. I'm thinking that I would really like the Sprite Pack 1 and the Model Pack 1 - are these the defaults that come with FPSC?

Thanks for all your help. I'll finally be able to move him away from XWM - DCK - Doom II and whatever else he's been using

-- Me
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 18:21
sprite pack 1 and model pack 1 do not come with FPSC. FPSC comes with it's own two packs (scifi and ww2).

Quote: "It sounds like the tools that come with FPSC allow for World War II type games and SciFi games."

by importing media and downloading model packs, any genre is possible

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 21:09
The best thing to do before buying any/all the packs, is to ask your son what kind/type of game he'd be intersted in making. Most of the packs that have been made recently have been targeted at a "modern" game; however, many of the objects from each genre can be used (to great effect) with eachother. Getting him all the packs (maybe not all at once....could be a nice little incentive for good grades) will give him many more options to be as creative as possible.

Fred gave you our main site address, but this one will take you right to our Freebies Page. All the "Blue Buttons" are FPSC-ready, and most of them come with an automatic installer (to put it right into the FPSC Editor). There are also a few more free things listed in our forums (haven't moved them over yet).

-Keith

conmon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 07:08
Thanks you guys.

I went ahead and purchased FPS Creator. So, now you're going to be dealing with an 11 year posting questions on here. I'll curtail it as much as possible. I've told him about posting questions to doing things without trying them yourself or Googling them.

I also purchased Model Pack 5, Model Pack 1 and Sprite Pack 1.

I think he will dig the SWAT looking characters. Also if there is a way to change the skins for models - these would be good ones for him to start with.
He's always been gaa-gaa over weapons - and I thought the weapons with the arms would be good.

And can you ever really have enough sprites?

Thanks everyone!

C

-- Me
conmon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 07:09
Also - thanks for having a great community.

I don't feel bad about spending the money to support the development of tools like this - but it's also great that this community shares things like it does.

We'll be downloading fools.

-- Me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:34:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:34:15