Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.NET Runtime Installer

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 01:48 Edited at: 12th Feb 2007 20:54
------ DGDK.NET runtime installer v1.0.8.0 ------

Those of you who have purchased DGDK.NET, will be aware that any distribution of your applications will require an end user to install the DGDKSetup.exe runtime. This thread provides a link to this file for download so that people who wish to post their demos and such, can allow end users to download the runtime from here. I will be posting demos and such that will require these prerequisite files to be installed before any of the demos will work.

All DGDK.NET applications require the following to be installed before they can work:

Microsoft .NET framework v2.0

v2.0: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx

DirectX v9.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

DGDK.NET runtime v1.0.8.0: http://www.apexnow.co.uk/dgdksetup.rar

Before you download and install any of the components required to run DGDK.NET applications, you must ensure that you have downloaded and installed the v9.0 (August 2006) or later version of DirectX. You cannot use a previous version otherwise DGDKSetup.exe will fail to install the DGDK.NET runtime components correctly.

DGDK.NET uses an installed runtime component just like the .NET runtime framework does before any DGDK.NET developed application can work. When you download and install DGDKSetup, it will install all prerequisite files required to register the DGDK.NET COM interop component. If you have any queries or problems, please do not hesitate to post here, or email me about any issues you feel or may have.

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 10:36 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 10:37
Paul,
Is the redistributable installing assemblies in the GAC? If so, isn't there a way for the app to just load assemblies that are "next" (in the same dir) as the executable?

I must admit that I personally don't like to force people to install "stuff" to run things. The thing same applies to Ageia's PhysX.

While DX and the .Net Frameworks are perceived as "general" installers, that people thing "well, these are really system updates", the Ageia drivers sound like "oh, no - more stuff perpetually taking up memory" and the GDK.Net runtime sounds like "oh, no - more stuff perpetually taking up space in system32".

While people will install whatever it takes to get a £40 game thy bought to work, a lot of people will not bother to litter their system just to check out something off the Net... at least if they are anything like me...

I have vague plans for World Domination
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 10:48
Miguel, the unfortunate situation is that I can't avoid non-installations of a generic runtime for DGDK.NET. It is essentially a native COM based library providing interopability to .NET applications. And because of this, the prerequisite files have to be installed before the .NET application can be fired up, otherwise the interop layer cannot resolve function bindings to the DGDK.NET library. Infact attempting to run a .NET app without these bindings results in a runtime exception.

I've not made any early plans to port DGDK.NET completely into a .NET GAC assembly, and I also have to think about obfuscation issues on this part as well. I'm not particularly comfortable with the idea of such assemblies being partially obfuscated or not at all. And to move DGDK.NET into pure .NET would require all this to be done using a decent obfuscator.

Thankfully, the runtime only needs to be installed just once. It also checks if the runtime is already installed, and is compatable with all DGDK.NET applications. So I hope this aleviates some of the burden.

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I see, you need to register a COM library. But is this just a regsvr32 jobby? If so, that's not quite as bad as I can silently include this on my InnoSetup installer

I have vague plans for World Domination
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 14:31
Miguel, It's not as simple as that. The DGDKSetup.exe contains native DLLs that are required in order to register the component, that's why DGDKSetup.exe exists. Saves all the problems associated with distributing the runtime. If you place the DGDKSetup.exe into your Inno Setup script, add a Run event for it. It's as simple as that.

Also, it has a -silent Command line option.

Paul.

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 16:19
APEXnow -

that -silent is maybe the most importent Then its not so bad that we have to install DGDK on the client.

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 17:27
DGDKSetup.exe is fully documented in the help file provided with DGDK.NET, it's got all of the command options in there.

You can even uninstall the component from a system if you wish.

Paul.

Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 12:11 Edited at: 7th Jan 2007 12:12
That DirectX 9 link points to the December 2006 sdk. Microsoft made some OS changes:

Quote: "Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME Are Unsupported by DirectX

Starting with the December 2006 SDK, DirectX no longer supports the targeting of applications for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, or Windows ME. D3DX9_32.DLL will not install or load on these legacy operating systems. Developers who need support for these legacy operating should use the October 2006 or older SDKs.

"

Should the link point to the October SDK for older OS support?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 16:42
DGDK.NET requires any version of DirectX 9.0 (August 2006) and above. This is the link to the August version, although even that version requires one of the NT versions of Windows.

Quote: "Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Advanced Server; Windows 2000 Professional Edition ; Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition ; Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2003 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Web Edition; Windows Small Business Server 2003 ; Windows Vista; Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition "

Here is the link to August's version if you need to download that version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a1788990-5e11-4ae2-b5e7-cc576822aed4&DisplayLang=en

Paul.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 20:59
Runtime installer has been updated

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:28:03
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:28:03