Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC support 'n' core during lightmapping

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 13:33 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 13:33
The latest version of FPSC now supports 'n' core systems. So if you have a dual or quad core system you will reap the benefit of this addition during test or build game. The video below shows a level being build on a quad core system, see how it rips through the light mapping process!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7sISbwfDg

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 13:44
Cool, will this be in RC10?

The one and only Davy B
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 13:46
Intresting,too bad i dont own a dual core system...

...No Signature here...
Samoz83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 14:27
those bots showed you until the end where you blow him up any way nice feature apart from i don't have dual core

SaM
www.firelightstudio.co.uk
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 14:54 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 14:56
Very dissappointing .... for all of us who don't a 'n' core system. I really do hope that all of us without it (I'm sure that's quite a lot of us) will somehow see improvements also, but I'm afraid we're stuck with long long buidling times.

We'll see what the next upgrade will bring, but this starts sounding like adding gimmicks to solve the speed & slow building problems FPSC is having. A 'n' core system isn't a requirement for FPSC at all.

I'm sorry this doesn't exite me at all, it worries me that I'll be left with a slow FPSC forever. Adding this news to the added problems I'm having with each update, I would be suprised that my game creation adventure with FPSC is about to end in the very near future.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 15:02 Edited at: 5th Jan 2007 15:02
Awesome, My new intel duo pc will arrive today. This is great news. Thank you TGC.

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
That was impressively fast...could I ask what processor was used for this test? I have an AMD X2 processor (dual core), would a quad core be twice as fast, and 4x as fast a single core CPU? It'd be cool have a few benchmark figures to compare.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Nevermind, I got my answer from the FPSC home page:

Quote: "Our test results show dual core systems mapping scenes at up to 70% quicker than single core. "

Very impressive!

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 17:09
Quote: "Very dissappointing .... for all of us who don't a 'n' core system. I really do hope that all of us without it (I'm sure that's quite a lot of us) will somehow see improvements also, but I'm afraid we're stuck with long long buidling times."

In no way is it disappointing, the lightmapper is probably already highly optimized. It means though, that it can now make use of up to 3 extra processing cores to rip through all of the work.

Get the new DarkBasic Professional IDE for only $19.99/~£9.85
Http://synergyide.thegamecreators.com
Http://www.digitalzenith.net
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 18:12
It seems my computer do has a dual core processor

it loads lightmaps in a few seconds!great addition!

...No Signature here...
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 03:58
WOOHOO!!!

yes! thank you, hooray for dual core processors.

lol, that bot was owning you so bad.

Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 04:18
Quote: "Very dissappointing .... for all of us who don't a 'n' core system. I really do hope that all of us without it (I'm sure that's quite a lot of us) will somehow see improvements also, but I'm afraid we're stuck with long long buidling times."

Honestly Ben, computers only do things so fast. Sure, you could tear apart the lightmapping system, simplyfy things so they are represented in boxes, and maybe boost speed, but if your computer only goes so fast then it, well, only goes so fast. On the plus side since it is already rendered it does not have to do that for loading the final built game, so if you leave lightmapping till the end (or test it before you put in enemies and such) then you should still be able to test games at a fair speed.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 09:32 Edited at: 6th Jan 2007 09:35
Quote: "so if you leave lightmapping till the end (or test it before you put in enemies and such) then you should still be able to test games at a fair speed."

And there you have the whole problem..... I've been doing that since V1 and it always worked fine. But no more since 104RC7, since levels that work fine without lightmapping, suddenly don't work anymore with lightmapping.

The new DarkLight lightmapping system puts a drain on my system that the old lightmapper never used to do. For me putting it in the end has left me with several unusable levels. So, I need to incorporate lights at an earlier stage now, to ensure the levels do work.

I do own a pc that meets the recommended requirements, easily, but it sure isn't good enough for running FPSC anymore.

I'm still debating if I should go back to RC6 and drop DArklights or if I should make my levels even smaller then they are.

BUT.... the worst of all of the latest developments will come when people with 'n'core systems have designed there games and will try to sell them.... the majority will not be able to really enjoy the games at all, but experience slow games with long loading times.

I've made up my mind already due to all of the latest developments FPSC will NOT be my main tool for creating games anymore. It's more and more geared at high end machines and it's clear by now that Lee cannot solve the speed issues at all, so he recommends using a high end machine instead. That is not solving the problem at all. I do want my games to be played by the average Joe and games created with FPSC will either have small boring levels to allow him to play or cannot be played because the large levels do demand a high end system which he doesn't own.

It's clear by the announcement that FPSC will never run comfortably without a high end system, so it's time for me to look for alternatives that will allow me to create games that can be played.... or drop game design alltogether.

FPSC may still be used for my teaching projects, but even that is under debate.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 12:36
Quote: "BUT.... the worst of all of the latest developments will come when people with 'n'core systems have designed there games and will try to sell them.... the majority will not be able to really enjoy the games at all, but experience slow games with long loading times."

Huh? Since when did FPSC light-map the levels at RUN-TIME.

Never, that's when.

n-Core optimisations is a benefit to the developer only, and makes no difference to the players experience at all. You should know that.

Heavy on the Magick
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 19:19
And I noticed that DarkLights is FASTER for me. Granted, it takes more time to render it on build time, but runtime runs alot better now.

Ben, did you try playing a fully built game (with FPSC off) with the new lightmapping? And if your computer so easily passes the reccomended system requirements, what are they? DarkLights works fine for me, I've got a:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00E Ghz Processor w/HyperThreading
2GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM Memory
Nvidia 7600 GS w/512MB Video Memory [AGP] <-New

In fact, DarkLights worked fine for me when I had a 5200 128MB Nvidia card and just 1GB of memory.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 20:02 Edited at: 6th Jan 2007 20:05
Quote: "In fact, DarkLights worked fine for me when I had a 5200 128MB Nvidia card and just 1GB of memory."

Sure but I doubt you can even build quake size levels with it even though we're living in 2007 and using one of the newest game building systems..... Looking at the small size FPSC can handle and comparing with games that are years and years old, I must say FPSC is a mere toy. We've got supersystems compared to what was used to build quake and we still can't even come close to it with it.

Quote: "Ben, did you try playing a fully built game (with FPSC off) with the new lightmapping? "

That's the whole problem, I can't build much games at all without getting a crash. I've been able to build a few smaller levels and one midsize one. The smaller fully built levels ran OK, but not as fast as the same built with V1

The midsize level built with 104 ran much slower then the same level in V1.

The larger ones don't even build at all, so I couldn't test those.

Anyway, no more 104 final for me, I'm going back to the most pre-RC7, Darklights only causes much problems for me and I'm not willing to even spent one more minute on it after the whole evening and half of the day today of struggling with it. I'm not even counting all of the hours put into trying to test the other RC's. I'm done with it trying out the RC's or 104 final, I'm going to stick with what works and I'll survive without dual weapons & darklights, darkai or whatever more demaning stuff is being put into FPSC.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 21:09
Quote: "I'm done with it trying out the RC's or 104 final, I'm going to stick with what works and I'll survive without dual weapons & darklights, darkai or whatever more demaning stuff is being put into FPSC."

Well, that's your choice. But if you use older versions remember that you can't complain about problems with it (fixed in the current versions or not) because you'll never update anyways.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 22:06
Yep, my choice indeed and I can live with it. While V1 one isn't perfect, it didn't cause me half of the problems I'm having with 104 final. Also Commander Josh (the one that I did get a publishing contract for) was made with V1.0 and that ran excelllently, had great framerates and I'm pleased with it. It isn't close to being a good fps game at all, since FPSC won't allow for that, but was good enough to gain a publishing contract.

Commander Josh has a good balance of everything and runs smooth with V1.0, BUT it will not run with RC7 and above, so I've decided not to bother with the updates anymore. My choice and I'm happy with it and reading through all of the problems people are having with even the final update, I wish everyone good luck with it, I've had enough of it.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 23:21
Oh, that reminds me, I need to get your Commander Josh demo again and see if I can play it without lag (my new video board should really help)

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 23:27
Be my guest A a 5200 128MB Nvidia card is rather old, so you may have more fun playing now, I'm pretty sure you will. While you play, you'll also get a good idea what kind of levels I do create.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:26:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:26:14