Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Why does it take so long for FPS game levels to load? Is there a way to fix this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Why does it take so long for FPS game levels to load? Why does the levels load so slow? I've noticed when I've played games made with fpsc the levels take a long time to load? Why is this?

I'm running a pentium 4 2.5Ghz with 512 memory.

The game loads eventually, but the waiting in between levels is just nightmarish.

Do you need 1 gig of memeory to play the games effectively? But that doesn't seem right considering I play commercial games on my computer just fine.

Is there a way to fix this with games created with FPS Creator?
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 15:49
You have 1.04 latest?

with that one big levels load in 75% of the time it used to do.

...No Signature here...
RoundShot
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your quick reply.

This answers part of my question, I think.

However I'm not really talking about the FPSCreator itself, but the games produced by it.

For example I downloaded some games from
[href=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94344&b=25]
Winners of October's Level Design Competition...and their Levels. [/href]

A lot of the games when I went to try them out, took a long time to load their levels. They're really good good games, and I like them a lot! The only problem is the speed of level loading. Does this means that those games were created with a version of FPSCreator that wasn't version 1.04?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 19:21
Well, loading time is determined by how much content is in the level. Games like Half Life and Halo load faster because they have points througout the levels that load and unload things as they are needed, speeding things up and freeing more video memory.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 19:29
Quote: "Does this means that those games were created with a version of FPSCreator that wasn't version 1.04? "

Yes. The latest updates have improved the loading times, but as Airlide said above, levels with a lot of content are going to take considerable time to load.

Level optimization is an ongoing process, and only a few here are currently working to learn and use it. The software is progressing quickly and we will continue to see improvements in both loading and play speeds I'm sure.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

RoundShot
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

Appreciated much, thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:29:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:29:38