Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bumper cars!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 01:17
What do you think of my bumpercars? I gave it a cartoony look in DB. It's for a mini-game that I might finish . I might put some kind of ball texture at the end of the antennas but I'm not sure yet. Tell me what you think.

Kevil
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 03:54
wow man, didn't think anyone was gonna use cell-shading, there was a lot of talk but not enuffa walk if you know what i mean well that just looks superb, good work! haven't seen anything like it it dark basic classic! yeah i guess it'll be cool if you put like red balls for the red car etc for all the others! keep up the good work man, and i hope you finnish the game

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Rollit
Years of Service
User Offline
nice one
I'll be happy to see more!
Don't stop
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 06:39
saweeet!!! Is that real Cel-Shading or did you fake it somehow? Or is that just drawn in lol

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 12:16
It's fake , but not drawn. I've already finished the movement and collision code. I'll see if I can finish it.

Kevil

n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 18:38
Of course fake! There is an old DBC arrow cursor. As I remember there were no cartoon shaders in DBC.

I'd like to change the world, but God doesn't want to give me sources!
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 19:32 Edited at: 2nd May 2003 19:32
The pic looks cool. I wanna play the game lol.
Keep it up.

Only heroes live forever.
[img][url=www.redostrike.tkhttp://members.lycos.nl/redostrike/RedoTitel.jpg[/img][/url]
The StartStrike project is going good.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great keep it up I love bummper cars.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 05:17
sweet... care to tell us how? I don't mean the details, but I mean is it the inverted model technique to create the lines? And I would love to know how you did the colors but that might be asking too much...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 13:13
Ok .
As you know, if you load an object in DB, the model has a bit of a smooth look. Faces whose normals are pointing away from a light are darker than faces whose normals are pointing to a light. You should work with this idea.
When you want to make a cartoony texture, you first must know where the light source will be coming from. In case of the bumper cars the lightsource is above the bumpercars. This makes it easy.
Then after you unwrapped in a way that you know a bit about where the normals of the faces on the texture are pointing, you can start with the texturing. Now we should use the idea mentioned earlier. In this case you should think if the normals are pointing right up or not. The less they are pointing up, the darker they should be. But this should not be done in a smooth way! This is the most important thing about a cartoony texture. The shading is not done smoothly, but in layers.
That means that at some point(for some angle of the normal of the face) you should suddenly make the color darker. This sudden change should be done in a quite straight line. At points where the faces are pointing straight up, you should make a white ellipse to act as a cartoony specular effect.
Now you also need black outlines. Somewhere in the code snippets section on the RGT forum is explained how you can do that. (the same model colored black with inverted normals and scaled a bit biggerat the same position as the other model).
This only gives you black lines around the object. If you also want black lines inside the object (like in my bumpercars, between the middle section and the top hemisphere for example), you should do that in the texture. It's very easy, because you would only have to draw a black line over the edges in the texture where you need it.

Then if you've put this model in the game, you should make sure that the object is not influenced by light or ambient light. Then it will look like my bumpercars .

This might sound a little complicated, but if you understand it, it is really easy. Just look at my texture!

Kevil

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 09:08
Nice Job Only touble is the color "shading" obviously won't be affected by light, but still, the screenie looks damned nice. Reminds me of parts of Sonic Shuffle. I'm sure your game will play better tho

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:04
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 15:50
Ya, it will remain the same no matter which way you face, but it still looks great! GJ!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 18:54
Tnx .

It doesn't really matter which way you face it, because I have a static camera in my game. You can try an early demo now in case you missed it. I don't think I'll have much spare time in the next four weeks (final exams), so you'll have to settle with that demo for the next few weeks.

Kevil

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 12:52 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2003 12:52
So you point the normals... no, you position the light...

:-s

ARRGGHH!! MY BRAIN JUST EXPLODED!!

Those bumper cars look brilliant. You win an official Engo gold star.

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 14:09
LOL. I know, I'm not very good at explaining .

Kevil

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:27:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:27:43