Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 00:28
is it possible to create a CSG punch in a modeling program? You know, the green object that creates a hole in a wall; doors, windows, that sort of thing?

Why?

I'd like to have cracked walls in my game but can't model for toffee! and I certainly don't want to try and duplicate wall segments with cracks in them (as I may well change the walls), so I thought the easiest way would be to model the cracks as CSG and they can punch through any wall.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 00:44
Yes...all it is actually is a mesh. You could also use the dor frame or the door it self as the punch. But the problem with your method is going to be "Say you make a "cracks" punch. You use it in a game much like you would a door. Only when your in the game and you get close to the cracks...you can now see completely though the poly thats supposed to be left on the other side, because your looking at its back side.

Better off to "paint" your cracks on a texture.
Good luck
Loc
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 01:02
When you say 'paint' Locrian, you mean 'cheat a bit' by painting what's on the other side of the wall, on the crack?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 05:37
When I mean paint I mean physicaly paint on the texture a crack. If your looking more for like big hunks gone from the walls you wouldn't be able to CSG this...you'd have to model it. This could be accomplished really easy making the shape of the broken section(well call this section A) then on a 100x100x5 pixel box(which we'll call B), just subtract a from b using a boolean operation, and it will essentually "cut" the mesh leaving polys for the thickness of the wall not allowing you to see though the back side of the mesh.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:27:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:27:50