Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Practical In-Game Physics Concepts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 03:18
We've all seen the amazing abilities of Dark Physics, but lets face it, as of yet there really hasn't been any innovative ideas that harness the physics engine without giving the impression of "I stuck this in here because it looked cool". What I think is needed, is true implementation of physics, where the very game depends on it in some new and fresh way. So, I purpose we all share our ideas!

My Idea: Magical Anti Gravity Wand
Can be used in: Action or puzzle oriented games.
What it does: Moves objects in a gravity defying way, which could be implemented to move certain crates out of the way, or stack them up so you can hop from one to another to get to a higher area. Also could be a form of attack, such as lifting up nearby beams and hurling them at enemies. Could be a bit to powerful, so one could limit the power with a "Wand Power - O - Meter" type system.

Well, there's my "novel" Idea. Yours?

Kenjar, yet another victim of NRS (N00b Relapse Syndrome) May he code in peace...

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a stepchild of Elebits... but I like it.

I have vague plans for World Domination
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 15:58
It sounds like a good idea, but I think that your proposed implementation of it is a bit limited. This could be great in an FPS, some type of super weapon that you get and wreak absolute havoc with. Or a third person shooter, and your cursor becomes your wand of destruction. There are definitely many possibilities.

Come see the WIP!
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
It sound like the Gravity Gun from Half Life 2 which is used for dragging / lifting and firing crates, cars people etc and then firing then at opponents. It also also very reminiscent of a demo from a demo from Ageia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJkS1n9N_qo&mode=related&search=[href]null[/href]

either one should be fairly straight forward to implement just apply forces to all objects that are affected based on the square of thier distance to the gun's focal point. I would probably use vector math to implement this.

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
My Idea - The Boot Of Power
Can Be Used In - FPS/Action
What It Does - Enables you to kick barrels, crates, doors, enemies many metres away no restrictions you just boot your way to timbuktu

Computer says n00bed
dononeton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 20:18 Edited at: 14th Jan 2007 20:31
My Idea Chains around a door with a center piece as a lock.

Can be used in- Rpg

What it does- need key to unlock in which the joint that is holding the chains gets destroyed and everthing falls and alows you to cross the door

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Argoon
Years of Service
User Offline
My Idea using the PPU: Characters that have a cape that can be riped by sword fighting (cloth) or armor that can be deformed by the impact of the sword.

Can be used in - RPG or a Ack and slash game.

Cheers
Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 23:33 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 23:45
Quote: "It sound like the Gravity Gun from Half Life 2 which is used for dragging / lifting and firing crates, cars people etc and then firing then at opponents."

I already did that! That´s how I won the TGC 2006 Room Challenge Mini Competition. Here are some snapshots:

http://www.alfredo.rhotonwa.com/images/1.jpg
http://www.alfredo.rhotonwa.com/images/2.jpg
http://www.alfredo.rhotonwa.com/images/3.jpg

However I must admit that:
Quote: "I stuck this in here because it looked cool"

Hallowed are the ori.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 00:03
Alfred - Good gravity gun mimick model...lol

Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 17:07 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 17:08
@Airslide - Thanks. It took some time to get the HL2 Episode 1 feeling. Also, I can´t seem to open the website that your sig links to..

My Idea - Fully destructible buildings

Can be used in - RTS Games

What it does - Buildings ( pre-made with destructible blocks ) which can be destroyed with realistic proyectiles (cannon balls, missiles, etc ) and with the added advantage of weak points which (if correctly pointed) can be torn apart with a single shot. (Example: Target a leg or post in a watch tower and take it out of balance to bring it down). Similar to Age of Empires III but with an even more realistic behaviour.

Cons - The buildings must be masterly built along with the breakable clusters also taking care not to intersect any beams, blocks, etc or the building will explode when entered into the simulation.

Hallowed are the ori.
Argoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 16:06 Edited at: 28th Jan 2007 16:06
Fully destructible foliage

can be use in -Action games.

What it does- http://www.planetphysx.com/weblog/index.html

Cheers
dononeton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 01:44
ohhh.. using cloth to make fully destructible foliage. Good one!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 05:14
Quote: "Also, I can´t seem to open the website that your sig links to.."

That 'be cause my server is down. I'm getting new hosting, haven't bothered to change my sig cause once I eventually do it the same link should work.

ZeD XF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 19:38
My Idea: Anti-grav Bomb
Used in: FPS, Shooter Games
What it does: A timed explosive that lifts up objects and sends them flying when it explodes.
hallo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 11:51
Idea: Soft bodys when people die / ragdoll

Used in: All games

is it possible?

Hallo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:08:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:08:29