Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Multisync question for anyone using it

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been evaluating a few different methods of networking a project and just tried out Multisync. So far, I like it best for my needs. However I've noticed one thing that I'm concerned about.

If the connection to the server is dropped, the client crashes unceremoniously. I need to find a way of trapping this situation and keeping the program from crashing and begin polling for the server to come back again.

What seems to make sense is some "safe" command to test if the server is still accessible before sending another message to it. But if one exists pls help me find it!

Signatures are a waste of bytes.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 06:41
I am currently in the process of rewriting Multisync from scratch. Unfortunately it looks like development might stop for three weeks due to my monitor breaking. It's a shame, considering it wouldn't have taken me more than a week to finish it from the stage it's currently in.

Progress on the rewrite is quite far. The client part of it is complete, and it works pretty well. There are no (apparent) crashes, redundant commands are removed, and the order of reading/writing data from/to messages is fixed. I've just got to write the server part of it now, which may be difficult without a monitor.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version
vibe runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 16:06
Very cool. I've been having problems even just using mutlisync at all, but haven't tried very hard. If I can't get my bare-bones apps to work I might post the code here asking for help.

One question, though. Is there any way for the individual client to know their PLAYER NUMBER? That would be helpful.

Otherwise I guess I can have the server send to a player what their number is.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 03:43
Quote: "One question, though. Is there any way for the individual client to know their PLAYER NUMBER?"

Nope, you'll have to have the server send it to the player.

Blue Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Am I to understand then that there is no way to prevent a client crash in the existing Multisync if the server dies? It's ok if that's the case - I'll survive - but if there is a way to avoid it I'm still looking for it.

Signatures are a waste of bytes.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 07:50
Quote: "Am I to understand then that there is no way to prevent a client crash in the existing Multisync if the server dies?"

Not to my knowledge.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 19:02
hmm... im curious, why does the client crash when the server goes down? wouldnt the client just stop recieving packets? because ive been using multisync for quite some time now, and ive experienced this numerous times.

forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=91115&b=32
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 17:14
Quote: "hmm... im curious, why does the client crash when the server goes down?"

The client never acknowledges that the server disconnects, that's something to do with it. I do not know the exact point in code at which it crashes though.

deaths judge
Years of Service
User Offline
errrrm one question why does my player one exist say 148
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 17:13
What?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-28 03:36:59
Your offset time is: 2024-06-28 03:36:59