Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 8 fps in 1unit room (read 4 full explanation)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
my level frames per second started slowing down at some point during the design. I decided to build a 1 unit room to stand in and see if this changed the frame rate in the small room. It did not! 8 FPS! There were no doors to the room and it had a full ceiling and floor. Obviously everything else in the rest of the level was still being considered by the engine.

Before I did this test, I tested the level while viewing portals and noticed that usually at least one room and corridor around an L corridor was being rendered. Also through doors. Any thoughts?
Nue B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 04:24
Could such an issue be the result of having "auto floors" turned on? I've wondered at that, but never tested it.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 06:39
If you mean you made another room in your already lagging and existing level, this is how I would expect it to work

The thing is FPSC does not clip very well. It still renders parts of your map you wouldn't even be able to see. So basically, it would lag as bad as if you had no walls for that 1 unit room.
In fact, in some cases it would lag worse, since the engine is actually trying to figure out how the walls are supposed to clip the other parts.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 12:19
When asking questions like this it's good to give pc specs and also tell us how small or large the already exsisting level is. One room can mean the turning point in a game.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 01:37
i used to have lag in fpsc.
some tips
there is no way to get completely rid of lag without money.
so,
get better ram
and a better video card
and ever since ive been fine, but if its something with fpsc im stumped.

IM NEVER ONLINE TILL SOMETIME AT NIGHT!!! god dont expect me to be sitting at my computer all the time
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 01:54
Zeke, just curious what did you buy, what kind of system did you end up with to get rid of the lag?

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:29:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:29:10