Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Curious...... who else did submit a level into the TGC/nVidia competition?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 00:15
I guess the closing time for entering our levels is near. I managed to submit a couple of entries on time, waiting for one more confirmation.

I'm curious who else managed to submit a level or even more then one level. I started very early with my entries, so they were finished the end of last year already. The only thing stopping me was FPSC update problems, but most of that has been solved. My Commander Josh level seemed to cause 1.04RC10 major problems, so I just build it with an older RC, I kept backups of my work, since I figured problems could arise in the end, so I kept backups made with various RC's and I'm glad I did.

We all know someone will ask this 'who else' question, so let me be the first to ask

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 01:16
I made a quick level after finishing Darkest Island and submitted it yesterday.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 01:34
i did.

umbra 2

and a totally unique one

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 02:33 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 02:35
No! I did not enter.

I am glad I did not waste time trying to design a level for this contest. Don't get me wrong here, I am talking about my personal level design ability.

I have had a hard time winning the monthly contest, and that was what made me think hard before attempting this. And looking at the fabulous work in the FPSC category, I am glad I chose not to enter

Butter's levels looked as professional as they come. Ben, we already know is capable of making publishable quality games. Also, the level by Alemar looked out of the FPSC world (I don't know about the framerates issues). Dark Fact's entry looks amazing as well.
All these, and I am sure there have been atleast 10 times the number of entries of this quality.

I wish you guys the very best wishes. Like I said earlier, my only wish is for one of you guys winning this rather than some outsider!

-filya

edit : I hope all of you plan to release your levels for us to try once the contest ends. Not talking about the winner ofcourse

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 08:00
I tried to make a level but circumstances prevented it.
Besides...compared to some of the stuff that was entered or rumored to be entered into the contest I didn't have a chance of winning the big stuff...and while the graphics card is better than the one I have now when I upgrade to x10 I don't think that card would work.
I could guess at one or two others that probably entered the contest...but I will let them post if they wish.
Maybe the next time a compo for a dream system/contract or whatever comes up I might be able to pull something off.i wish you all the best of luck who entered.
When the winner gets their new pc feel free to donate your old one to me.It couldn't possibly be any worse than what I am working with now.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 09:21 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 09:23
Quote: "Besides...compared to some of the stuff that was entered or rumored to be entered into the contest I didn't have a chance of winning the big stuff..."

Compared to that stuff, most of us wouldn't stand a chance winning at all. I had my doubts about entering my levels, since with guys like Alemar dropping in just because of the prizes, none of us stands a real chance anymore, if they succeeds. When I thought about that, I figured if they succeed indeed and there's a good chance they don't succeed at all, so I'll give it a try. It's not that I don't want them to succeed, but I think it would be a shame if some outsider, who could care less about FPSC or this community and only came for the pizes, would win the competition, I rather see on we know well win.

What I mean by them not succeeding, is that in the end, FPSC will let them down, just as it let all of us down, until we learned to use it and that took more then a few months. That's why I entered, while guys like Alemar and the others that only came for the prizes, create stunning looking entities, segments and so on, they do have a huge disadvantage..... they don't know FPSC. They're most likely going to make same mistakes as we did in the beginning and while the games may look stunning, they may be full of issues. So I decided to enter. Our games may not look as good, but chances are that when it comes to gameplay we do have the edge, since we've been using FPSC long enough.

So I'm hoping that the regular FPSC users will win the prizes and not the 'newcomers' who only drop in to win and leave after that again, never contributing anything to FPSC or it's community.

I do hope it doesn't take ages for the judging to finish!

Anyone else who entered?

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 09:21
I submitted one entry
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 18:42
Quote: "They're most likely going to make same mistakes as we did in the beginning and while the games may look stunning, they may be full of issues. So I decided to enter. Our games may not look as good, but chances are that when it comes to gameplay we do have the edge, since we've been using FPSC long enough."

Thats totally what I felt, lets be honest , a good proportion of the marks on on"gameplay", which I would view as the puzzles, AI and framerates and these are things that outsiders can't come in and blitz in 2 months. I have to admit the meatfactry level did push FPSC quite a bit... on my dual core I only maxed 27FPS in some of the more hectic bits, but I felt that it was the only way I could compete.

And yes filya, I will undoubtedly be releasing my entry for the public, I mean jesus I slept no more than 3 hrs a night for the last week I was working so hard, I'll be damned if you guys don't get to play it!

I wish everyone the best of luck in this, I hope that (no offence to alemar and co) the TGC forum regulars take all the top spots... we deserve it!!

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 19:25 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 19:25
Quote: "I hope all of you plan to release your levels for us to try once the contest ends."

I will also, except for one level I've entered. You will get to play it, but only when I've made it into a whole game. It's supposed to be part of a game.

but I do think that TGC is planning on releasing the entries also, if I'm correct, so everyone gets to play everything.

Quote: "I have to admit the meatfactry level did push FPSC quite a bit... on my dual core I only maxed 27FPS in some of the more hectic bits, but I felt that it was the only way I could compete."

Even though I don't have a dual core, I'm still going to try playing it.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 20:01
Quote: "And yes filya, I will undoubtedly be releasing my entry for the public, I mean jesus I slept no more than 3 hrs a night for the last week I was working so hard, I'll be damned if you guys don't get to play it!"

well, thats pretty much sums up your commitment and effort Butters! I so wish I had even a cent of it!!

Quote: "but I do think that TGC is planning on releasing the entries also, if I'm correct, so everyone gets to play everything."

have they mentioned that someplace? I really don't see people (participants) giving away their entries out in the open this easy....

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 20:07
you maintain the rights to your work, but TGC can distribute however they want with your permission.

I added in my author.txt that I didn't want mine released to the public unless the media contained within had been protected in some way.

The sleep thing is pretty crazy, I used video footage for the character's flashbacks, and 98% of the stuff in the game is custom, from scripts to the models.... I think I actually set myself too big a task, and we were hard pressed to get it all done in time... I'm not entirely happy with my project, as 2 characters (including the boss) suffered AI glitches when the framerate dropped, but it was just too late to change.

Quote: "Even though I don't have a dual core, I'm still going to try playing it."

if the entrys do get released, I'll put out a low-spec version, with less decals and fewer entities/dynamic lights so that people without a TGC ninja PC can play

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 11:33
Still curious, is this everyone that entered? I know some none forum visiting users entered, but if that's it then there are only a handful of entries. I've got a feeling that there must be more.....

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 13:34
I wonder how long it will take them to review the results.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 13:42
I had an email from a judge who had an issue with my game that I needed to resolve, said he had about 25 entrys to get through, so Ben, you're right there are a bunch of entrys that haven't been accounted for.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 14:40 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 14:40
About 25 entries, with so many user I did expect more. Also we know some of us have entered more then one level, so at the most 20 people entered a level, but more likely less.

Quote: "I had an email from a judge who had an issue with my game that I needed to resolve"

Lucky you, I know of competitions where the judges would just say back luck, if your game has issues or doesn't work well, then it shows in the rating or will not be rated at all.

I've now counted about 9 people who have entered a game, so still at least 10 not accounted for...... stop teasing us and show us what you're worth

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 16:01
Wow, I expected WAY more than that. I didn't enter however. My skills to FPSC are no where near any of yours.

And I agree... some person that just said "wow those are cool prizes, I'll enter this." I don't think they quite deserve it as much as you guys do. You don't see them helpin the community or doing ANYTHING to improve FPSC. You guys well deserve it over them.

I hope ya'll do well!!!

Tiggle Bitties

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 16:27
it wasn't an issue as such, he just had 25 games to review, and wanted the solution to a puzzle that he didn't have time to solve himself.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 16:50
Ah, I see, he was cheating

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 18:35
25 games only????
I would have guessed over 100 if someone has asked me to. This seems too less for such a grand prize!!! I mean we had 10 entries for the RPG monthly level design

Maybe everyone thought like I did...and no one entered Good for you guys! Now go on and get that PC and the publishing deal!!

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 22:24 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 22:25
I'll settle for the pc and someone else ca take the publishing deal

Quote: "25 games only????
I would have guessed over 100 if someone has asked me to. This seems too less for such a grand prize!!! I mean we had 10 entries for the RPG monthly level design "

It seems little, but a good number of people have choosen not to enter. With the monthly level design you more or less know who you're competing against. With the TGC/nVidia competition we had no clue, since it's open to non users also. You may end up doing lot's of work and still being easily defeated by a pro who decided to go after the publishing deal (as some did). That was a chance many choose NOT to take.

But back to the topic..... who's still hidding an entry for all of us to enjoy?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 22:27
I was planning on entering but I couldnt get all of my custom media done in time...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 03:23:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 03:23:23