Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Physic/Terrain problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, im new here...so sry if i post the wrong way...

I've the DarkGDK.Net and the ODE Plugin.
So. i wanted that my Terrain is a static object for the Physic Engine.
But the commands like oODE.ODE_CreateStaticTriangleMesh() or oODE.ODE_CreateStaticUniverse() didnt work...

If i set oODE.ODE_CreateStaticBox then it works for a short while...
the objects slide on the ground and at exactly one point the fall trought it...
I have added a video for u...so pls watch it..

Is there any way to fix it?

Gaara

Attachments

Login to view attachments
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 09:31
Gaara, I've had similiar problems with trimesh based collision as well, which has made me wonder whether this was why TGC decided to abandon further ODE support and moved over to DarkPhysX. Although I cannot explain exactly why your geometry falls through the terrain, you could try generating static boxes which approximate the surface layer of the terrain. I.e. instead of using the actual terrain, use a system of parsing the terrain for height data and larger intervals, and create static boxes. This way, you're not actually using all the terrain tri data, but using much less with boxes that are larger, and easier for ODE to approximate collision.

Paul.

GaaraBTK
Years of Service
User Offline
hm...that means I have to buy the DarkPhysX ?

Is there another way to use AGEIA PhysX ??
i read that AGEIA PhysX is now for free..so can i include it in DarkGDK.NET?

Thanks for answer
Gaara
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't buy Dark Physics - it doesn't support the GDK yet!

I do hope they will extend it to work with the GDK (and, if you're reading this TGC - I mean the unmanaged GDK too - not just the .Net one) but we're not there yet.

In any case, I must admit that the need for a driver to be loaded does annoy me a bit - I really hate to force users to install stuff to run demos. I haven't checked yet, but I do hope Ageia driver have a silent install mode or - better yet - move to a dll fallback when you don't have a hardware in the future...

I have vague plans for World Domination
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 09:10
Miguel, I'm glad you pointed out about the none purchase until it's supported under both DGDK and DGDK.NET, otherwise this would have been a rather bad move. Anyway, there has to be support for DarkPhysx under the two development systems in order to keep the product established. Anyway, regarding driver installation, this process is pretty harmless and you would expect the same of installing a video driver as well. Ageia obviously require the drivers to utilize hardware (if installed), so the drivers provide both software and hardware support.

enablerbr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 13:27
only .net wrapper i know of is this http://www.zelsnack.com/jason/JttZ/Novodex_NET_Wrapper/. yet its not up to date with latest version. yet someone might be able to look at it for DGDK.NET.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ageia obviously require the drivers to utilize hardware (if installed), so the drivers provide both software and hardware support."

I understand this: having a unified software/hardware driver makes the invocation from a game seamless. My main concern - again - is that a lot of people don't like to install "stuff" to run a game. And this phobia is not just for the computer wary: I have friends which are soft engineers by trade and total geeks (like me), but hate to update drivers, install aditional libraries etc...

I really like "a one click install everything" approach, which is why in the past I asked if the GDK.Net had a silent install (which it does ). Now I need to check if Ageia drivers have a silent install/uninstall AND can be installed without the Ageia Control Panel in the system tray (things that lodge themselves on the system tray w/o asking should be banned).

I have vague plans for World Domination
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 19:25
Quote: "things that lodge themselves on the system tray w/o asking should be banned"

Hehe, I'm all for that mate! Same goes for them ruddy IE bars.

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:31:12
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:31:12