Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2D Sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 11:44 Edited at: 3rd May 2003 14:08
Does anyone know how to define the edge of a 2D sprite when you are making them. I only have paint so that is what I am trying to do it in. Do you use the color black or do I actually have to make my sprites the shape I want them. Also if you know a place with a good resource of 2D sprites please tell me. I tried the Resource section of this site but none of the links seem to work . If anyone has a good 2D space invaders sprite it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Steven Craft
Years of Service
User Offline
Darkbasic (classic) treats pure black as transparant, and I haven't yet found a way of changing this to another colour (maybe you need pro for that).

I don't know of any good resource sites im afraid.

Also, its advisable to try and use a better program for drawing your tiles, ideally I like to use adobe photoshop, but if you can't get acess to that, do a search around the net for free paint programs, im sure there are ones around better then ms paint,

Hope that helps, Steve

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 21:06
You can use any colour that you want in DBPro:

You'll see that this code is pasting the screen with transparency active - the screen will stay black. Sprites also use the SET IMAGE COLORKEY to determine the transparent colour.

You should try and use a better paint program though - one that already has the ability to save images with transparency. As steven said, Photoshop is one, Paintshop is another - in fact most art packages will allow you to do this now.

See if you can get a demo of paintshop from a magazine cover CD.
BahamutZERO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 02:48
I use an engine that creates rpgs and theere is also a whole community that uses it. We use loads of sprites that can be adapted for DB. Check out http://www.hellfusion.com and http://gaminggroundzero.com . Thre are also rips from official releases there.

GinGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 02:44
A good paint program is imageforge. There's still a free version, that does pretty much everything I need. The pro version is very affordable at 29 US dollars. The site is www.cursorarts.com.

As for getting sprites, what I do(since I'm only learning) is run a shareware shooter, hit printscreen, then paste that into my paint program. Then it's just a few cut,pastes, and touchups, and I have have the sprite I need. IF I ever get around to doing something commercial, all I have to do is replace the images.

Dylan

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:17:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:17:30