Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
can u make a fps gam with the same graphics as counter strike source?
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 17:17
hardy har har. That's my pirate laugh.

Tiggle Bitties

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 01:00
Yes you can

Shader support is limited in FPSC but its there. Use it creatively and you'll see some nice results.

Make sure your using full lightmapping and high quality textures with bump, specular, illumination and diffuse mapping and make sure dynamic lighting and dynamic shadows values are 1 not 0 in the setup config file within your game folder once you've built the game.

Basically you need to understand what the engine is capable of and then use all of the available features as creatively as possible. Heres some of them

- 3D Engine supporting Direct X9.0c
- Import your own media (sounds, 3D models, textures, shaders)
- Optional Pixel shader support
- Set texture quality and effect levels
- Cube mapping effects
- Automatic Light Mapping (quick and full)
- Dynamic and Static lights illuminate your game
- Animated decals for fire, smoke, water, blood splats, etc
- Dyamic shadows
- Indoor / Outdoor environments

Try to balance your time between researching and actually trying things. Implementation is everything

Good luck
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 02:19 Edited at: 20th Jan 2007 02:20
Quote: "Good luck"

You're going to need it

By the way Nomad Soul, welcome to the forums, I've just noticed this is your second post, so the welcome is a bit late. But I do have the feeling after reading both post that you're not new here at all, just someone who used to have a different name/account before.... you're knowledge and join date don't seem to match, you sound more like a seasoned user, but I may be wrong

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 02:36
You're not wrong,Ben.
I don't know what his forum name was before but he knows way too much to be a rookie.
Nobody that just walked onto these forums would have that kind of knowledge or know that much about Magic FPS...which is exclusively for FPSC.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 22:00
Thanks Ben/Fred

I've been into the whole indie gaming scene for a while now, having started out back in the day programming games for the zx spectrum in the late 80's (mainly clones of old school games like jetpac / frogger etc) followed by the amiga in the mid 90's (mainly vertical / horizontal shoot em ups).

I moved into the PC world quite late and made an action / platform game as a first project to ensure I was familiar with PC programming.

Then I got DBPro and made some concept games and have since made a demo game for mobile phones and a cartoon using flash.

I'm now keen to get an FPS under my belt and really like FPSC as a concept for doing this. Once I've got to grips with all the features and have a demo that I'm happy with I'm going to look into the custom .dll side of things and intend to play around with the source code via the latest DBPro release.

I'm keen to start contributing to these forums which I've been keeping up with since starting my FPS as they are a good source of information and there seems to be a good community atmosphere here.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 22:56
Wait! I thought FPSC only supported shaders! (That may only be for the segments though by what I've read)

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 00:43
FPSC supports .fx shaders but there are a limited number which come out of the box

People have had some success in importing additional .fx shaders which have been amended to from the original file to be compatible with FPSC but you need to play around with them to get good results.

Texture mapping in FPSC extends to bump, specular, diffuse and illumination which again can be used to good effect.

Full lightmapping is now possible via the latest 1.04 rc10 release which uses dark lights and looks really nice.

Visit the nvidia developers site and download the .dds plugin and normal mapping texture plugin for Photoshop or if you don't have Photoshop there is a normal mapping texture plugin for GIMP which is free. Search on google for these.

You can also download fx composer from the nvidia developer site and start playing around with shaders but theres no guarantee what you create will be compatible with FPSC unless you know a shader programming guru.

FPSC has the potential to make some stunning looking games, it's just the frames per second that's an issue at the moment. I haven't got a top of the range PC so I don't know if brute power improves the situation all that much but it's something that will hopefully be a focal point when v1.05 beta's start becoming availalbe.

I'm happy with the current capabilities of FPSC and would rather see some speed improvements over more features which the community can largely contribute towards anyway with clever scripts etc.

Fortunately Lee Bamber (Lead Programmer)is kind enough to release the new builds in beta form on this forum so we get to have a play until the final new version comes out

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 03:24:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 03:24:52