Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Zombies and other Strangeness

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

Hey all!
I'm new here and I'd appreciate some advice. I'm considering doing a survival horror/FPS game that is more in keeping with the films of George Romero than the "Resident Evil," series. Do any of you veterans out there have any suggestions on how to make this game fun and exciting? I'd like to hear your input.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 08:38
Moved to the FPSC Chat forum.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 15:58
look at my school of doom.without zombies it still looks creepy.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:26
A warm welcome to ye, kosherboy. You like George Romero I see, that's a mighty good first impression I must say.

So, as for making the game fun and exciting. Well, if you are aiming to capture the atmosphere of Romero's masterpieces, I suggest a dark setting and a good variation of open and small areas. Oh, and lots of surprises and a capturing storyline. Not just ye olde zombie shootee, but something more deep, creepy.. If you want a good source of inspiration for creepy FPS-games, I suggest you take a look at butter fingers' Umbra.

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:41 Edited at: 21st Jan 2007 16:43
1. take advantage of full lightmapping. if you haven't downloaded the latest patch, do so! it contains DarkLights,a better lightmappinbg system.

2. Always keep realism in mind. if someone would not actually put that gun, health, or item there, then you don't either. placing entities realistically is a good idea.

3. don't put an uber amount of ammunition. make them worry about how their going to have enough.

4. get The Ultimate Horror Pack- its free http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=80111&b=24

4. get the Horror Accessory Pack- its not free
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89755&b=24

5. get Higgin's Horror Pack- It's not free
it is not available right now, but you should beg Higgins to get a copy. he generally responds well to promises of cash.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality"

"Once again you've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!"
kosherboy
Years of Service
User Offline

Wow!
I never thought I'd get this much feedback so quickly! Thanks for the support, guys! Maybe it's a pipe dream, but here's what I'm trying to accomplish with this game:
1)I want to increase the amount of zombies as the player gets deeper and deeper into the game. Every new level should take place a few more hours into the outbreak, meaning that more and more people are infected, dying, and coming back as the walking dead.
2)I think the idea of limiting the amounts of weapons and ammo and where you can find them is a good one. You'd certainly expect a police station or abandoned military base to have plenty of firepower, but a school or hospital would have very little. This not only gives the player a feeling of being constantly overwhelmed and outnumbered, but also forces them to pick and choose their shots.
3)Vary the models of zombies coming at you. I've already ordered pack #4, which I've heard already features zombies, so that might help. Also, I'm looking to create a mix of traditional, slow moving zombies from the "Romero Movies" and the fast-moving, rabid-psycho zombies as seen in "28 Days Later," and the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead.
4)I'm looking to feature music from the 2 versions of Dawn of the Dead, the Resident Evil games, and even some heavy metal to add to the hardcore tension. Does anyone know if you could play a music cd and download it onto your game as background music?
Boy, I'm really long-winded there! Thanks again for your patience and time. Any suggestions and answers to my questions would be appreciated. By the way, why is it that everyone on this forum has such overactive imaginations!?
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 12:17
I see you got lots of stuff already

Anyway, i'de like to give you a tip.

1# If you want to incrise the number of enemies per level, use this: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73014&b=23

It's unams scripts to load and unload dynamic entities, by using this your level won't be overloaded making it lag.
This way, by using simple triggers, you can make more "zombies" to spawn the more you go foward the level, without making it lag.
don't forget to use it woth other entities to, not only NPCs.

2# nothing to say

3# Regarding the vary of zombies, be shure you think really well on the zombies, don't put zombies with mutants together (unless its another virus story), or if you're like 1 of those who like curses, try to have the fast zombies a diferent feel, something that isn't a zombie or the devil, something worse (just an idea).

4# There are several sites with free music out there, but don't try to use musics from CDs, those are all copyrighted, and getting a license to use them, most of the times, it doesn't come cheap.
Do a little google

Regards, DJ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 03:29:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 03:29:48