Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK Update - 220107

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 13:07
I have been working on a GDK update over the past few days. The following items have been dealt with:

* resolved an issue whereby ghosted objects would not appear

* dbObjectSize now returns same value as DB Pro, use float dbObjectSize ( int iID, int iUseScaling ) and pass in a value of 1 for iUseScaling if you want to take into account scaling

* fixed problems with transparency modes 2, 3, 5 and 6 which used to cause objects to vanish

* fog colour was being affected by the particle manager, this is no longer the case and fog colour will be correct

* was a linker error when using dbMakeObjectTerrain, this is now fixed

* dbIntersectObject now works with instanced objects

* fixed a memory leak in all delete functions for the maths set e.g. dbDeleteVector3

* resolved a linker error in the sound library

* strmbase.lib is now included in the distribution

* updated globstruct.h to include the correct information

* corrected a naming error with the function dbTLVertexSystemMemoryAvailable

* dbObjectSetDisableTransform is now defined as dbSetObjectDisableTransform

* changed the third parameter in dbWriteToRegistryS so it takes a string rather than a DWORD

* modified the function dbValR to use the correct parameters

* changed a parameter in dbCompareCase so it takes a string rather than a DWORD

* modified the define for _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

* resolved an issue with cameras not updating

This update is currently being tested and will appear as an optional download in your order history later today.
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 13:38
So the update is just to correct the bugs? No new stuff to put GDK on tthe dbp level?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 13:42
Some new functions have been included such as sync masks and camera clipping. Will get them listed later.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 19:32 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 19:32
Order(s) page has been updated.

The DGDK.NET toolkit will follow as soon as I have itegrated the changes.

Paul.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Ghosting still doesn't work.

Example:

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the Visual Studio 7 library has not been updated.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 20:07 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 20:07
That's right. I didn't get the new libs in the zip for VS7. Will be an update tomorrow.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
A very quick glance at the .h files seems to indicate that the dbObjectSize ( int iID, int iUseScaling ) overload is not on them.

I have vague plans for World Domination
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 20:44
Hi Mike look the transparency still has some bugs look

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 20:54
Jna99, try using mode 4 or 6 to solve this problem.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 23:01
Mike, I've emailed you regarding a minor change that's required to the DarkSDKBasic3D.h file. Other than that, the new build is top banana

Paul.

Neglected
Years of Service
User Offline
Apex, would you mind to share that little issue with us?
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still waiting for the new Visual Studio 7 library ...
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 18:16
Quoted from the email I sent:

Quote: "In the Core.lib file, you have the PerformanceTimer function defined, but it has been declared as dbPerformanceTimer. Just needs the db added to it in the lib file for the linker to resolve it.

The change is as follows: In the header file you've updated, there is a function called dbObjectSetDisableTransform
The system will only build, if I rename this header entry to: SetDisableTransform."

Paul.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 22:20 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 23:56
voodoo I tell you, voodooo.....

Michael Moore needs film making lessons from Aaron Russo: America: Freedom To Fascism
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 22:34
LOL, c'mon admit it, you've been a C++ guru for years CR, you just won't let on that you are

Pex!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 23:52 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 23:55

Michael Moore needs film making lessons from Aaron Russo: America: Freedom To Fascism
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 19:27
One question, what do you think that would be faster for testing those beta libraries:

To wait for VS2003 libraries or to migrate to VS2005.net?

Premises: days are 24h all around the world, weeks have 7 days, we all use the same calendar, etc
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just installed VS2005 and I think the new update is a little bit slow.

When I run this code, I get only 80 FPS. When I use the old SDK, I get 200 and more.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
dbObjectSize does always return 0 in connection with instanced objects.

Example Code:
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just discovered another problem. It seems that complex applications compiled with the new sdk need much more time to close.

Can anyone confirm this?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 21:18
Does that depend on the number of objects that were created, because I've not had a problem with this.

Paul.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 16:27 Edited at: 26th Jan 2007 16:27
@Paul:
Yes, I think it does. I have just found a solution. If you add "dbDeleteObjects" at the end of your code, the application will close much faster.

Furthermore I found another bug: dbObjectSize doesn't return the diameter, it returns the radius.

Example:

0.866 is returned, but it should be 1.732
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 18:28
Uh oh, silence again...

Can anyone tell me what should I expect?

There will be a fix for VS2003 libraries at the final release?

There will be a final release or just this beta?

Should I buy then VS2005 just to try these beta libraries?

Are the bugs fixed or not?

What do I do? Sit and wait?

I appreciate the effort of doing this fixing try, but if it is not done properly, we all are losing our time and money.

I'm not claiming for a VS2003 update, if that means less bug fixing. I don't mind to migrate to 2005 if I can do it easily, but I'd rather spend time and money on something else.
But I don't want to stand still either. So much time interval from update to update...
I'm lost
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 18:52
I think 1.1 support in DGDK.NET is going away
can't speak to c++ version however

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 18:56
Had some trouble uploading so not been able to sort out the VS 2003 libs just yet. I hope to have things sorted on Monday.

I would like to keep things going for another week and get feedback from everyone. I have fixed a few more problems today and also been going through lots of things. Once everyone is happy I will make this the final release and then move onto other things to do with the GDK.

For those using VS 2003 there is always the option of using VS 2005 Express which is a completely free download. I have tested the GDK using this compiler and all works very well and it is easy to set up and get started. This also brings me to another point about VS 2003 - I have considered making this update the very last one for the VS 2003 compiler and updates after that being for VS 2005 and VS 2005 Express only. It will make updating the GDK much easier and faster and given that the Express compiler is free I don't see it causing such a big problem. What does everyone think to this?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 19:34
Well, I'm obviously all for 2005 support since DGDK.NET requires it anyway, so I don't really have an opinion. Also, with the new 1.0.7.0 update DGDK.NET, I've actually taken out .NET 1.1 support for plugins and stuff since it's not even used for the Express tools.

Paul.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 20:51
Ok, Mike. Thanks for clarifying most questions.

I understand that VS2003 is not going to live forever, and I'll try VS 2005 Express this weekend (to test and feedback), but can somebody tell me in advance how easy/difficult is to migrate a standard DGDK project from VS2003 to VS2005?

If it is steady and we can convert projects easily, there should be no problem at all about dropping support for VS2003 from now on.

Thanks, I'm not that lost now
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 20:58
Morcilla, I was able to convert all of my projects across to VS 2005 without running into any issues. All you need to do is open your project in VS 2005 and it will run through a conversion process. Here are the instructions to use the Express compiler:

GETTING STARTED WITH VISUAL STUDIO C++ EXPRESS
==============================================

As the first forays into the world of C++ can be daunting, we have prepared a helpful guide to the steps you need to take in order to set up the GDK on a new computer. This guide assumes you own the GDK, and you have an internet connection and CD writer to download and store the various softwares you will need.

GET THE FILES
-------------
1. Buy and download GDK - 33mb - freeware edition - www.thegamecreators.com
2. Free Download DirectX SDK - 509mb - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D625324C-59B4-4951-849E-640B508DC442&displaylang=en
3. Free Download Visual Studio C++ Express Edition - 463mb - http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/#manual
4. Free Download Platform SDK - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E15438AC-60BE-41BD-AA14-7F1E0F19CA0D&displaylang=en
5. Free Download IMG to CD burning software - http://www.imgburn.com

INSTALL THE FILES
-----------------
1. Use the IMG to CD writer to make CDs from IMG files download
2. Install Visual Studio C++ Express (IMG to CD)
3. Install Platform SDK (IMG to CD)
4. Install DirectX SDK (October 2006)
5. Install DarkGDK

CONFIGURE YOUR DEVELOPMENT SUITE
--------------------------------
1. Configure for WIN32 development - http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/
2. Configure for DirectX 9.0 SDK development - assign the INCLUDE and LIB folders to Directx SDK
3. Configure for GDK development - DarkGDK documentation 'getting started'

PROJECT SETTINGS
----------------
1. Open one of the GDK samples or create a new Win32 project
2. Go to Project Properties, Linker, Input, add ATLS.LIB into Ignore Specific Library
3. Go to Project Properties, C/C++, Code Generation, change Runtime Library to Multi-threaded DLL

NOTES
-----
** Make sure that the DirectX SDK LIB folder points to the x86 directory (for 32-bit compiling)
** Make sure that the GDK LIB folder points to the VS8 directory (for Visual Studio 8 compiling)
** Some of the sample projects may display the following error: fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h'. If this is the case remove the rc file associated with the project.
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:19 Edited at: 26th Jan 2007 22:19
I not sure, whether it's a bug, but dbFogColor does color the fog only once. You have to call dbFogColor once per loop in order to color the fog permanently.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:41
So wait, moving dbFogColor before your while loop doesn't maintain the fog's color?

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 00:18
Great news. An update! Hooray!

Hey Paul, when are we going to get our hands on 1.0.7? I was going to release the initial (0.1) version of DarkEngine, but maybe I'm going to wait until the next version od DGDK.NET is available.

But, that's just great news. We're not doomed to die before DGDK gets new updates Thaaaaaaaaanks.

Thiago Bessa
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 01:08
kBessa, I uploaded all of the 1.0.7.0 files to Mike yesterday, but you must be patient while Mike brings them online onto the product pages. Rich has gone through a career move of late and so things are taking just a little while to settle, and different people get used to using the tools for making product downloads available. Mike has informed me that the downloads will be available as soon as he's able to get the product pages updated.

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 04:59 Edited at: 27th Jan 2007 05:01
Yeah, I've heard that from the last Newsletter. So bad we "lost" Rich. At least I know we're near to getting our hand on 1.0.7.0

Thiago
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So wait, moving dbFogColor before your while loop doesn't maintain the fog's color?

Paul."

That's correct.
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to convert one of the water shader examples from the shader pack to the DGDK, but the example doesn't work. There seems to be a problem with the fog, multiple cameras and the shader.

Media and sourcecode are attached.

Attachments

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 17:20
tobi, I tried the sample, and found that the only way I could get it to partly work, was to remove the dbHideObject(WaterObj); at line 84 in the UpdateWater function.

Even then, one of the textures looks b0rked, but I think it's because of the Water.dds file not being read in correctly. Either way, if the texture is converted maybe, and you adjust the fog ranges, it works.

Paul.

"This is Big Brother, could Ian please remove his head from the oven, thank you!"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 19:16
What version of dbp will the latest dgdk/dgdk.net be equivalent to?
6.2?
6.3?

and whatever the version, has the Null Limb issue from PerformChecklistForObjectLimbs been fixed?

Currently all limb lists end with a null limb, and objects created from code (as opposed to in a modelling app) have no limbs other than this null limb. A code created object should have at least one limb, and no null limbs ever from any object, but thats just me. Code created objects could simply add one limb and set the name to the data from the function that called it like MakeObjectCube(id,size) would create the cube with one limb named "cube"

Anyone using Dmitry's dkshop dll, for its PickLimb() function may have noticed issues when picking a limb that was a code created object with no limbs other than this null limb. At least I saw severe problems in the ported version of that function to dgdk.net

thanks

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I was trying to port the "Number3-Shadows" sample from the "U58Examples" bundle to DGDK (to check shadowing) and came to the conclusion that dbSetShadowShadingOff() and dbSetShadowPosition() do not exist in the GDK like they do in DBPro (as "set shadow shading off" and "set shadow position", respectively).

I have vague plans for World Domination
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 13:32
Hi when will be released the new documentation? Oh what does SyncMask() do?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 13:24
Hey, been absent a bit good to see this going on. Just wondering, has the fps being capped to the vsync regardless of mode (windowed, fullscreen, etc) been fixed so it only caps when full screen? I imagine this is why the person up a few posts only got 80fps.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 19:55 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 19:55
Yep, I still got 85 fps (my monitor sync rate) with windowed mode.

Although it was effortless to convert my project into VS2005, now I have got some strange behaviour here and there uh

Apart from dbObjectSize still not working, my space nebulae dissapear when they get applied their .fx effect, although another shader effect works fine at the stars themselves.

Also I've got an ISO C++ command that goes out of memory, and it didn't with VS2003. Uh again

Worst of all is that I get confused whether the errors come from DGDK libraries or somehow with the new compiler.

Talking about shadows, here is a pic of a current issue: It goes thru other objects although both have set shadow on them.

One last tip for VS2005 migration: Microsoft recommends to run VS2005 at least once before applying the Platform SDK.

Attachments

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 00:19
If i disable vertical syncronization in my display properties, i can run higher speeds than my monitor refreshrate.

This is .NET version if that makes any difference.

My projects: http://thecyborg.adsl.dk/programming/DGDK/

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors (http://www.tuwguild.com)
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 13:32
Is there a problem with the dbExecuteFile command

This is my loading subroutine (ive tried it with char * and this way it even displays the correct value with dbprint so i am wondering if there is a bug in my code or libs

this code executes well from a batch file

I hope this was allright to post this here it seemed relevent to as it may be a bug

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 01:14
Just adding to my previous comment about execute command, Ive got it working with batch commands but if i execute the batch file with dbExecute the batch file fails when it loads in my software.

I am really lost here. Because visual studios debugger keeps loading. I have seperate batch files for each parameter and i execute like dbExecute...("batch1.bat","","") and it errors

fubar
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 01:46 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2007 01:48
Use CMD as youe Executable, and the Batch file as the argument into CMD.

This may work.

[EDIT] You may need to use CMD and then /C before passing the name of the batch file into it.

Paul.

"This is Big Brother, could Ian please remove his head from the oven, thank you!"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 02:22 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2007 02:24
why not use some other method of executing an external file instead of the db engine method? Isn't the point in using the dgk to use the db engine as little as possible, and moreso to use the power of the chosen language? (ie c++, vb.net, c#, etc) Especially if the problem is on such a secondary (non-dx) command like execute file. Just mho.

For example, in vb.net/dgdk.net if I needed to launch an external item like a bat or an exe I would instance a new Process object, passing the filename.ext into the constructor.

Michael Moore needs this film:Aaron Russo's America: Freedom To Fascism
RonPaul'08
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 07:51
Thanks for the advice but im using visual studio 2005 and i FIXED THE PROBLEM. I disabled microsofts just in time debugger and if i have a program calling another i exit visual studio aswell or the just in time debugger will still error out.

Now both of my methods work perfectly it seems, ive gone with the approach without batchfiles. It Seems another microsoft product another bug. Ive also fixed other internet stuff from erroring now it seems just in time debugger catches things way before it needs too.

THANKS AGAIN
APEXnow and CattleRustler

fubar
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 13:41
fubarpk.

Gald to hear you got it working.

Paul.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 14:40 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2007 14:41
dbObjectCollisionCenterX, dbObjectCollisionCenterY, dbObjectCollisionCenterZ and dbObjectCollisionRadius do always return 0 when used on instanced objects:

Example:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 17:30:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 17:30:04