Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Interaction of entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I posted this on the scripts board but then I realised that it may not be a scripting issue, sorry if this breaks the rules, (posting same thing in two places).

As a new licence holder I am really impressed with the flexibility and power of fpsc, but, (isn't that the way of the world?), I wonder if it is possible to interlink the entities?

To make my game less predictable I would like to add some logic of my own.

Imagine a room with three doors along with three signs, one over each door giving a clue as to the contents. Lurking behind two of the doors are enemies that will be released if the door is open,(easy), and behind the third door is some goodie like amo etc.

I can do all that but I would like to be able to change the signs and the contents "in game" to avoid the user simply remembering the position.

I know that I can do that in DBP but the power of FPSC is such that I want to develop my game in FPSC.

Is it possible?, do I need the game engine to modify? Please help an aged person in his time of need!

uff
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
hi there if you look into scripting tutorials and scripting in the manual you will find the alttexture command which can be used to change the signs, the contents of the room cannot be changed as such but a suggestion would be put in the inital items with regular settings they place other entities and set the spawn at start to no then use another script to make them appear when the contents of the room changes prehaps after or if they do somthing like kill an enemy or the room changes after a switch has been pressed thats the basic concept just look into learning scripting and the rest can probably be done

Thanks
Adam
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that storm.

I understand that I can change all manner of things within an entity, my problem is doing things to several entities because of an event.

So in my example above, behind each door are both a goodie (ammo) and a baddy (enemy), both invisible and inactive.

The player steps on a zone. Use a random number generator to decide on the door of the goodie. Change signs and make either goodie or baddy visible and active.

Am I missing the obvious here? Yes I have read the manual etc. but if it is in there then I have not seen it, (or at least not absorbed it).

Please help!

uff
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
to be honest there is a random command or sum such in the Fpi scripting but i have no idea how it works. but i see what you mean i think your problem is the condition affecting multiple entities well if youknow how the if used field within the editor works its very simple, if not ill try and explain if if you let me know but heres how you cheat and do it for multiple entites. First create the setup you described and place your zone now find an objetc that looks very low poly mayb a fake wall entity or somthing and place the same number of these as the number of objects you want to affect outside the visual range of the player(behind the levels outer wall and will never be seen) now make sure all fancy settings are turned off, dynamic must be yes but pyhsics should be off. Now you name these object all the same name and enter this name in the if used box for the zone. Now setup the scripts so that the zone activates all of these objects. Now you have say 3 objetcs that are linked ot the zone you cna now use the three if used fields on these objects to name the entity you want the zone to affect and then just make each object activate the individual enitys and make them do whatever, spawn prehaps, this is abit hard to explain so i hope this makes some sence, i would be happy to help you some more with an actuly script setup to show you if you need me to

Thanks
Adam
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi storm

That sounds terific! Just what I need, (and I think others could well use it?). I would really appreciate a some help with the script as it looks like you have thought this through.

Thanks again.

uff
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
ok well i probably cant do the random number thing but i will create a test level with the scripts needed so you cna look and learn, i will attempt the random idea but im not sure if i have the time, ill see what i come up with and I know my technique works because iv tried it before so your welcome to keep your hopes up. Be back later

Thanks
Adam
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

That would be really good thanks.

uff
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry is goin to take little bit longer than i thought due to lack of time but i should have it in a day or two, if the random thing doesnt work or i cant get it to work your best bet is to change it based on whether they step into certain zones or not making there rout through the level detirmine what happens or even if they pick up certain items

Thanks
Adam
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
looks like even that tiem wasnt enough i am goin to be very busy an so wont have the time i planned to do it i apoligse for keeping you waiting but the bets thing i can say for now is work and you other aspects of your game and i will start a new thread about this if i get tiem to finish it off over the next week or so

Thanks
Adam
Slayer Simon
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a feeling that all of this wouldn't be necessary if old man learned how to script.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 03:19:49
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 03:19:49