Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Important question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

This is my situation. I want to buy either DarkBASIC or DarkGDK but I cannot decide which one, or which one would be better for me. I used know about half of Basic, C++, Python, Visual Basic, and Ruby, maybe another one or so, but none of them in depth really. Just enough to mess around and like make a text based RPG or something. But the concept's of programming are not foreign to me, I understand the concepts of loops, classes, functions, etc. So with that being understood I have several questions I want to ask.

1) Could someone go over the main differences between DBPro, and DGDK? Is one better than the other?

2) There are two books written on DarkBASIC. One problem I have with game making solutions like this is finding significant information that I can sit and read and learn the language without having to spend hours searching and then finding something that gives you the code and tells you what it does, but doesn't explain how it works, and so on. Is there significant information for DarkGDK that I could sit down and learn it without problems like that?

3) Can DarkGDK do everything that DarkBASIC can?

Thank you very much for your time and answers, they are very important to me. If any of you can think of anything else you think I may want to know i'd be very grateful to hear it. Thanks again.

- Ross
TheMirror
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, (to CattleRustler)

Sorry for double posting, I assure you I did not mean to.

The question I posted in the GDK forum was a little bit different. And the reason I posted it there was because I figured the people there may be better able to answer my question.

And my apologies once more for not thinking of creative enough thread names lol.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 16:30 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 20:05
1) Main differences are in the language "around" what the API provides. Languages are normally a matter of taste, but really in this case the languages where you can use the GDK (C++) or GDK.Net (C#, VB.Net etc) are a lot better than DBPro's basic. A good basic is not such a bad language - quite fast to develop actually - when supported by a good debugger and enough data "structurisation". Unfortunately dbpro's debugger is abysmal and as for its UDT (structures) they are very limitted.

2) The GDK has no such "formal" learbing aids but I assume the meat of those books, that deals with the API functionality, are directly applicable to the GDK;

3) In theory yes, in practice No. The GDK is still behind the DBPro on stability (although I think Mike is doing his best to remedy that). Also, the majority of plugins that exist for DBPro don't yet work with the GDK so you don't have as much "off the shelf" expansions available to kickstart a project.

I have vague plans for World Domination
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 16:53
@TheMirror - no worries

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 17:26:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 17:26:37