Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Solar RTS - first demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 02:19
Some of you from the previous DB forum may remember me uploading a few screenshots from my RTS set in a solar system called Fragile Alliance (formally known as Farspace) well the first demo is up for download from my site:-

www.geocities.com/avanmadisen

Sorry I didn't use the href command, a small help page explaining it would be helpful (either there isn't one or I can't find it). Go to the projects page to find "Fragile Alliance" where you'll be greeted by a detailed description and a screenshot.

I haven't had much feedback for the demo yet, so any detailed comments will be appreciated. I'm encouranging all of you to be specific with ALL comments, if it's good, tell me why and how, if it isn't, PLEASE tell me how and why so I can address the problem. I'll try to keep a recort of everyone who gives helpful comments and include them in the credits list.

Thanks in advance!

Avan
You may scream when I get back...
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 06:16
The demo looks cool so far, but I couldn't understand from this demo what the gameplay will be like. So I really don't know what to think of it. On another note, I can't read the text very well, it's too fuzzy.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 10:14
Well Farspace is taken... so is Fragile Alliance...
Names are tricky now, most are bloody taken and trademarked - just have something simple like "Avan Nebulea" i mean can always be changed later
downloading now ... hopefully i wont' fall alseep before i get to test it

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 02:01
Please remember, this demo is the first playable demo I actually made which had something to do. It's very early stages and the next version is having a complete engine rebuild, so really it's just an Alpha test not a Beta. But any comments could be helpful.

Avan

You may scream when I get back...
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 22:19
SWEET! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH A GEOCITIES ACCOUNT! I was starting to feel like a real loser!(no offence of cource ) I'm gonna give this a d-load right now.

"Well Farspace is taken... so is Fragile Alliance... "
Actually, to my knowledge, Fragile Alliance is not taken. Are you thinking Fragile Allegiance? It is very close.

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 22:43
This game has tons of potential! Good job! You played either too much Fragile Allegiance or Imperium Galactica didn't you ? The special effects are great and I would realy like to know how you made the cursor blur (particles?). I think I found a glitch. When I built the HUB HQ deely, I went to another surface and it dissapeared when I went back. I built some habitats and those stayed so I don't know if the hum deely is supposed to go away or what? All in all, if you could through some Icons in the menu maybe, the UI is great and I can't wait to see the finished copy!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 19:22
wow this is truely amazing (and that doesn't come out of my mouth oftenly!!)

Have to agree... ALOT of imperium galactica there, and it has been done very very nicely!
The UI is a little basic, hopefully that'll be upgraded graphically - however the functions are well layn out.
I'd like to be able to move using the mouse and pan the scene so perhaps add that as well

That cursor is very very nice, like the blur when you mov it about but need to be brighter as when you go over a planet or on some menus you can't see it.

Certainly one of the most promising titles i've seen in a while, be good to see you get a decent Artist to help you develop the buildings and units... be interesting to see how this develops in the comming months. However if this is anything to go by I certainly look forward to the next release

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 20:13
Fragile Alliance was great.
The original, Jagged Alliance was better.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 02:37
The game is actually based on Fragile Alliegence, not Jagged Alliance or Imperium Galactica.

One of two effects have been scrapped, such as the blurred move, that was done with 33 mouse objects and the movement was updated 9 times per frame to smoothen it out.

The next release won't be a whole lot more then the current one as everything is being written from scratch again. Mainly to make optimising easier because so much of it was sloppily done (in my opinion), but the more feedback the better.

Thanks for the comments.

Avan

It's all a dream, trust me...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 15:17
I only know of Fragile Alliegence - never played it, to me atleast this is very very close to imperium Galactica II in style (however the side bar menu is a slight change) everything else seems almost identical.
Isn't a bad thing
ya know there are 2 ways to make that mouse effect to make it similar - one is a 3 step ghost particle, which is probably what you did but if the particles are stored as a single array position will speed things up and make it neater to edit the variance.
Second is just using a mouse cursor blur map when moveing

so like ... if mousemovex() < or mousemovey() < 0 or mousemovex() > 0 or mousemovey() >0 then texture object 1,1
changing the obvious

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 20:22
I think Jagged Alliance was the first one.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 01:52
probably was... but doesn't mean i've heard of it any more thou lol

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 13:20
What you've done here is really nice! I look forward to seeing more! What you've done so far bodes well for the finished product...

HippyGoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 19:51
Well, I must say it seems very intersting. I couldn't get it to run thou.

I get the load screen, then: System Error Severe Exception!

My system specs:

AMD 1ghz Duron
320mb Ram
GeForce2 MX
Win2k SP2
DirectX 8.1b

Eddie.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 00:54
Don't know about those errors, I've seen servere exception errors before, but only when I mistakenly put an 'endif' instead of a 'next' statement and it corrupted itself by commenting that the error was on line 44 billion... or something like that.

The next demo shouldn't be ready for at least another few months. I've redesigned the entire engine because loads of things were crappily coded and just plain cpu intensive to stupid levels. The new one should manage more speed ons lower systems, and the positional physics are 3 times more accurate, going to 18 decimal places with up to 100,000 range in position. Now that's accurate to an insane level!

Incase anyone's wondering how I'm managing that, it's just a little creative patching of 3 real variables together.

The next version will be sporting more detailed buildings for the colonies, as well as less eye-candy and more gameplay. I'm going to re-write the colony ai because I just wasn't pleased with the current demo's attempt. Hopefully the next one will be a whole lot better.

Avan

It's all a dream, trust me...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 01:18
very well, the game has been made. spectacular, the cursor is. more, i look forward to seeing.

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:45:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:45:52