Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 00:44
First, I'd like to apologize in advance for bringing up this topic when so many of you have clearly illustrated this can't be done, but I have some questions and ideas regarding the topic

I've done a search regarding headshots, wondering why it's impossible to perform one-shot kills. I gather it can't be done with scripting, but I was hoping someone could explain to me why that would be impossible. I'm going to learn how to script one of these days and thus far I view this as one of the only serious limitations of fpsc. Any idea when (or if) this issue might be resolved?

Most of my experience is with using DBP, so naturally I'm planning to download and install the extras pack (I assume it'll work with DBP 6-4) and toy with the engine source. I'm wondering if I could load and manipulate the models in DB source, break the head off, and wrap it with its own collision. It would be a lot of work but it sure beats cranking out 300k+ lines of code, that's for sure . Anyway, does anyone have any ideas/ comments/ criticisms regarding this idea? Why would it work, or better still, why wouldn't it?

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 01:08
Because FPSC doesn't support HitBoxes. I have ideas with headshots, but I won't reveal them yet because I'm working on it.

Tiggle Bitties

Slayer Simon
Years of Service
User Offline
Coding is useful but also quite limited.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 19:57
how is coding limited? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't FPSC developed using DBP?

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 22:04
Nothing that makes sense comes to mind, as FPSC only allows enemies to be one whole entity. And then there's some other stuff. Perhaps if you could set some sort of entityshotwithinrangeof= script or something like that, it might work, but these are the utter ravings of a lunatic. Perhaps X10 will give us something a little neater.

If everyone was someone, would everyone be no-one? Think about it...
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Make your own models i was thinking and make the head a shoot point and body but make the head a breakable thingy?

Correct me if wrong?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 14:58
Your wrong. Can't happen.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you make a headshot work in DBP?
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 00:15
yes it could, i have managed headshots, basically there is a seperate invisible object surrounding the head and it follows the character, but more info is classified to me, only because no one else has released it yet so i'm assuming that i could make my game stand out slightly

so what's the job?
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 04:02
No one else has released what yet? The method you described sometimes leads to wierd collision detection issues (like sometimes you don't even have to shoot the head, just somewhere close). The method you described is the first one I tried. lol

Jourdan
Years of Service
User Offline
how about if just like this:
The Bullets hit vertex #15506 (example for head vertex) then headshot will happens.

Is that possible?

Nothing is Impossible..
Really!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 16:57
@Jourdan,
No not possible.

You guys can think till your hearts desired and may even come up with some half working solution to it. It's just not possible in FPSC at this time. Nothing you come up with will work like it should, as everyone thinks of head shots anyways.

It's a noble endeavor, but a little searching will reveal guys with a lot more time in the engine then anyone here have looked into this, and no concrete solution or work around has been found.

It's possible Matt can find a way of doing this within the DBP app. This is a far greater likelihood then anything FPSC can do as it stands.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 18:48
Quote: "Could you make a headshot work in DBP? "

Absolutely. You can do just about ~anything~ with DBP. FPSC is a fantastic utility, it's extremely helpful and open-ended when developing FPS games, but it's strictly limited in comparison to DBP, which is a proper programming language. For those of you who haven't taken a gander at it, you might want to consider giving it a peak at some point in the future, because it will vastly broaden your game development opportunities

To do this, I'm taking the model and snapping the head off, and defining separate collision regions for the head and body. I might even make a little "chest cube" as well, which could work for adding the heart as a kill-zone. Basically, I'd use polygonal collision for the headshots, and utilizing the "make object collision box" command, I'd put a little cube in the NPC's chest, and that *should* in theory provide the ability to use headshots and heart-shots. I'll be going through the FPSC source later this afternoon and again with a friend on Wednesday and hopefully (with Lee's permission of course) I'll post a code snippet. Unfortunately, this fix won't help anyone who doesn't own a copy of DarkBASIC Professional 6.3+ and the "extras" package. I can't make a standalone executable of the source because that would be like giving away FPSC for free... that would be bad! But this would help anyone who owns DBP, although anyone who owns DBP could probably do this themselves anyway, hehe. At any rate, I'll give it a go and post my results.

I'm sure Lee and the gang are working on this issue for a later fix. Not that I've heard this or anything, I'm just guessing here, but I think it's safe to guess that this problem will be dealt with in the not-so-distant future. Remember, FPSC is extremely new on the grand scheme of things, and it's going to take a while for TGC to address all of the issues. DBP has been out for a relatively long time and it still has a few quirks and kinks that need sorting. But fear not, if there's anything I've learned during the course of my TGC membership, it's that virtually no problem ever goes undetected

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 19:07
Sounds to me like you know what you're doing. I'm crossing my fingers.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 20:26 Edited at: 10th Feb 2007 23:28
Matt Rock:
Quote: "I can't make a standalone executable of the source because that would be like giving away FPSC for free... that would be bad! "

As I've already stated in the other headshot thread: You are allowed to release that executable. You are not allowed to sell it (see the readme.txt that comes with the source). The source code does not contain the editor stuff, it's just the game engine, so you're not given FPSC away fro free! I released a modification of the game engine 6 months ago. Take a look at the stickies on the FPSC Showcase board. The TGC guys know about it and they're fine with it.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 23:20
Well then, if it's okay with them then I'll do that when it's done. But remember everyone, this won't be finished tomorrow, I have a really full plate right now and not enough free time to clear it. But every so often when I've got nothing to do I'll poke at this until it works . It might be done in a week, it might be done in a month, I'm not sure, but when it is, it'll be posted here!

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 02:28 Edited at: 11th Feb 2007 07:38
The Reason Headshots are Impossible

Scroll Down for Answer

Because NO ONE has SERIOUSLY tried to make it work.
Sure, we have a few scripters... a few programmers, but as scripting does not offer a secular (whatever that means) based bullet collision detection system (Uhh, yeah... whatever THAT means). Scripting doesn't work, and the people who program are not experianced with the language or the structure FPSC is written in, and thus, minor errors occur making the fallacy of the impossibility of headshots appear true. (I am in no way insulting anyones programming ability... all I am saying is that you can't simply add a single line and expect everything to be all nifty and dandy... you have to make sure there isn't anything contradicting your line of code, and that it is excecuted at the right time).

The problem isn't wiether or not it would actually work... as you said, almost anything is possible with dbp, but wiether or not people are willing to put the time and effort into it. And in my unprofessional oppinion, I say, they don't. And rather then admit defeat, claim that it is impossible, ego really.

If you fear speaking for yourself, make use the words of others while discovering your own voice.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 03:55
It's definitely not impossible. You have to keep in mind that a lot of DBP users (I could probably get away with saying "most DBP users") don't use FPSC, probably because they'd much rather develop an engine unqique to the demands of their game than utilize an engine that's designed specifically for the purpose of one distinct type of game. Actually, it really is about as simple as adding a few lines in DBP. I've already had a look at it and I'm not quite sure, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult (I'm still waiting for wednesday though, just to make sure I'm doing it right I need to cross-reference with a buddy ). It's basically a single function that needs to be plopped into the source, and with some debugging it should work... I can't see why it wouldn't.

This can't be done in scripting because, well, what you said. But there's literally nothing stopping this from getting fixed with some grunt work in DBP , nothing shy of someone having too much time on their hands. But this problem bothers me to an extent where I just need it fixed, and can't try to produce a commercial FPSC game without it (there's another "woah, you're trying that?"). But anyone whose known me for a while could tell you I tend to try stuff that others won't go near, and while the results aren't always stellar, at least I learn what I can and can't do hehe

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 06:14
Quote: "But anyone whose known me for a while could tell you I tend to try stuff that others won't go near,"

Hey, I "allways" do stuff like that, its what makes programming/scripting/flash crap particularly appealing to me... doing something others claim impossible or simply don't do. I like to make things complicated to hell, and actually work.

Personally, I have no doubt in a person who is as determined as you to succeed in his task... I just have doubts in others who WANT it, but are unwilling to make the COMMITMENT to it.

If you fear speaking for yourself, make use the words of others while discovering your own voice.
Jourdan
Years of Service
User Offline
So.. we cant do anything?
The only thing we can do to make headshots possible is waiting for an update that allow us to do headshots?
Is that possible if we edit the source code?

Nothing is Impossible..
Really!
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 19:39
If you have a copy of DarkBASIC Professional, some knowledge about 3D programming with the language, and enough free time, you could solve this problem on your own, without waiting around for me to to fix it (or for TGC to officially make an update). I've pretty much already explained *how* this can be fixed, and if someone beats me to it then awesome, that's one less task on my already-lengthy "to-do" list . I gave it a go last night but ended up killing the engine, so later today I'm going on a glitch-hunt to see if I can sort the issue I created, and then hopefully if all goes well, we *might* have a fix for this in the next week or so (but don't hold me to this!). Anyway, yes, if you have the know-how and/ or the will (to do or to learn), this could be done by anyone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 05:28:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 05:28:42