Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / which 1 is better?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 17:49
Dbpro or db gdk???

for begginers

Hallo
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
For an absolute beginner, you can get "something up on screen" faster using DBPro than the GDK.

However, I find it virtually impossible to do any amount of "real game" code (i.e. fleshing out a code snippet into a workable form) in DBPro, so I'd say after the 1st week you're better off with the GDK.

Honestly... how can Lost In Thought, Fallout or Cash Curtis do what they manage to do in DBPro is beyond me. They must have the pacience of saints.

I have vague plans for World Domination
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 20:39
Hi Hallo,

I think it depends on your programming skills, but I agree with Miguel. I would be completely lost with DBPro if I got to 5000 lines of code. (Also, I've had it for about 3 years, never done any game).

Thumbs up for DarkGDK!

Then you will have to decide on another thing:
C++ DarkGDK or DarkGDK.NET?

That's about your programming skills. Which programming language(s) you're fluent at? Can you live without OOP? (No OOP on DBPro) Are you a C or a VB guy? These kinds of things will help you choose your path. If you give us more details of your experience, we may have more ways of helping you decide.

Best regards,
Thiago
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 17:08
And if you really want to code in OOP then choose DarkGDK.NET with DarkEngine

Im making a game where Im using DarkGDK.NET and only are using DarkEngine.

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
hallo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 10:04
Well im a total newb....

whats a OOP???

If you laugh You Die

Hallo
Zan
Years of Service
User Offline
heres a definition of OOP from whatis which I think describes OOP very well.

"Object-oriented programming (OOP) is a programming language model organized around "objects" rather than "actions" and data rather than logic. Historically, a program has been viewed as a logical procedure that takes input data, processes it, and produces output data. The programming challenge was seen as how to write the logic, not how to define the data. Object-oriented programming takes the view that what we really care about are the objects we want to manipulate rather than the logic required to manipulate them. Examples of objects range from human beings (described by name, address, and so forth) to buildings and floors (whose properties can be described and managed) down to the little widgets on your computer desktop (such as buttons and scroll bars)."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:22:06
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:22:06