Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Requests for additions to DGDK.NET

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 19:20
As you're aware, Mike has released a new update of the DGDK library (070207). I've updated DGDK.NET to use this library now. I've also added some extra functions which will appeal to people requiring access to say, the projection matrix or view matrix etc.

I would like to know if there are any requests which people would like to make in terms of adding or changing anything in the toolkit before I upload a new version to be released. Now please note that I don't wish to spend too much time doing say.. more examples if this isn't going to benefit a quick release, so be realistic before you post.

Anyway, I'll go over the requests which are feasible and make necessary changes before I upload a new update. I'm asking this now, because it's extremely taxing uploading new versions of the toolkit, so the more I can get done in the update, the better.

Thanks peeps

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 20:26
Hi Paul!

I'm willing to put my hands on the next version, as I won't be releasing any new version before it's up to date to the newest version of DGDK.NET. (Sorry guys, I've been too much busy with my real job and my band, doing a homemade DVD of our show, editing video, cuting, mixing audio, that was difficult, had to format the PC, no VS on it, no programming on it for almost a month, etc, etc, etc. Shame on me!)

Anyways, one thing I'd like to see is Vista support, as someone already mentioned (not that I have Vista already, but maybe soon).

I don't how far you've explored (if you ever had) DarkEngine, but I would like people to knowledge me anything that should be in it also.

Thanks for your time!

Thiago
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 20:33 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 21:28
Hi Paul,

Just some thing that will be helpful to me Can we have functions that will return/set the content of a memblock into a byte array/string

Dim bData() as byte
bData = GetByteArrayFromMemblock(MemblockID)
SetMemblockFromByteArray(MemblockID ,bData)

Dim sData as string
sData = GetStringFromMemblock(MemblockID)
SetMemblockFromString(MemblockID,sData)

Any plan to integrate the new Shader into GDK.net this is a new library for the C++ you simply include the .h and lib but how to do it in VB.Net

Gervais
scapino
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul.....

I'm so embaressed. It appears DarkGDK.Net works fine in Vista.
I was trying to install by running the DGDKSetup.exe. , which gave me the error.

When I ran dgdk-net(freeware)-1.0.6.0.exe (the one with the DX9 install), it worked fine, and the samples compile and run fine in VisualBasic Express Edition 2005.

Hope you didnt spend too much time with non-existant incompatabilities.

Kurt

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 22:39 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 22:40
Kurt, this is great news, because I would have had trouble finding those prerequisites. Also, if those DLLs also required dependencies as well, I'd be in a bit of bother. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that DGDK.NET runs on Vista!

Thanks for letting me know.

Paul.

[EDIT] typo

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 22:40
Good to know that.

But I think that DGDKSetup.exe still needs to be updated, or maybe people that just want to play a game done with DGDK.NET in Vista won't be able to.

Thiago
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 22:43
A good point, but I'll still need to investigate. Strange as DGDKSetup.exe installs prerequisites as well as the normal install of the toolkit. Could be that there are still a couple of files that are needed under Vista. I've no way to actually diagnose and fix this until I obtain Vista myself.

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 22:58
Allright, I don't think any body will be releasing a complete game in the next 3 months, DGDK.NET was just released. At least I know I can develop for it if I get to Vista.

Thiago
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 17:13
I have one big wish... a GUI interface for use in games. Where we can put our own design in

Or I have to make my own )

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 18:09
Quote: "I have one big wish... a GUI interface for use in games. Where we can put our own design in"

Wasn't quite what I had in mind.

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, we really need a dbMakeReallyComplexAndCoolGame() command - can you have it done by Friday, Paul?

I have vague plans for World Domination
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 19:17
I was working on a plugin which I call DarkUI. But haven't worked on it for a month (as I already explained). Maybe I'll free Paul on this one. LOL
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, kBessa, was that for GDK or GDK.Net?

I have vague plans for World Domination
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 19:42
kBessa - Can we see how far you are now? and maybe the source?

--
Niels Henriksen
Working on a RPG right now
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 21:15
Quote: "Hey, kBessa, was that for GDK or GDK.Net?"

That's for DGDK.NET. I don't have DGDK, and I'm not a C++ programmer, so unfortunately I can't help with it. But if the plugin turns out as I expect, maybe I can work closely with someone willing to translate it to C++ DGDK.

Quote: "Hey, kBessa, was that for GDK or GDK.Net?"

I won't be opening the project until this saturday, so I can't tell you exactly how far it was, but if I remember it, I just started it, doing some tests, developing the base classes, code must still be a completely mess. I was not THAT organized when I started it (before I started DarkEngine, that's when I learned to make things right when coding - Thanks MudBug!).
So I think this answers the second question for now. I don't think people would get much help of my uncommented, messy and boring code.
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 00:06
You should learn to write comments in the code as you write it if you get stuck and the project gets on hold for a while, it could be very hard to resume if there isn't any comments.

When im writing a class of any sort i comment every line (except those "duh" lines). And when completing a method or whatever, go to the line just before the declaration and type 3 slashes ( / ) and write the full purpose of that method.

Using Dark GDK.NET
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 00:29
Can we keep this thread on topic please, thanks

Paul.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 01:11
3dw Importer

Seriously though, I can wait for that. I think after the next upgrade I should have everything I need. I am going to have to make a version of NGC that works with it. I'll release what I come up with.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 01:45
Sorry Paul, I got carried away with the questions.

I remembered something, but I think is something you should work out with Mike. It's that annoying window that opens whem the program is starting, even if it is a WinForms application. That's all for now.

Thiago
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 02:17
kBessa, that's a good point. I did bring this up with Mike a while back. I'll see if Mike has some time to help with this situation, although I can't say it will be in this next update of DGDK.NET since it's probably a bit more involved with the libraries. Besides, Mike's a busy fella so we may need to be patient in this regard.

Paul.

Zan
Years of Service
User Offline
can we get some event based actions going.

things like. OnCollision and OnDelete

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:34:14
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:34:14